Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 05:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 12

Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2010, 03:31
Did anyone try the questions of sentence correction in the VERITAS Book (sentence correction 1 or 2, what the difference between the 2 anyway), and are they any good?

Nanquam Fractum

Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2326

Kudos [?]: 9462 [0], given: 3702

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2010, 10:35
Expert's post
elevinty wrote:
Did anyone try the questions of sentence correction in the VERITAS Book (sentence correction 1 or 2, what the difference between the 2 anyway), and are they any good?

I have the books and will try them later on this week (I have not solved through questions). Anything in particular you are looking for?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2010, 12:09
bb wrote:
elevinty wrote:

I have the books and will try them later on this week (I have not solved through questions). Anything in particular you are looking for?

thanks BB, am just looking for extra practice and for a good collection of questions that are similar to the quality of the GMAT. I have Kap800, but it seems to me the questions are fairly easy.

Nanquam Fractum

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2326

Kudos [?]: 9462 [0], given: 3702

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2010, 12:42
Expert's post
The Vertitas SC1 book has 93 questions
Veritas SC2 book has 65 questions

I have not checked on difficulty yet but probably a half if medium/easy and half is medium/hard

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Manager
Manager

Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2010, 14:19
but I need to know if they are good?
i.e. if most of the question are as difficult as kaplan's, then I'll pass
if they are better, i.e. the questions are more representative and more challenging(even if only half of the total questions), then I'll give them a try.
if you are going to check them out, I'll appreciate your input.
also do you have any thoughts on Jeff Sackmann Total GMAT VERBAl in terms of verbal questions?

Nanquam Fractum

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 26

Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 01:26
Concerning the Official Guide for Verbal Review, I wouldn't qualify it as having only low to medium difficulty questions. The last third of the problems is really tough.

It definitely helped me improve in all sections of Verbal, and especially in SC.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 48

Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2010, 05:40
Dear BB,
What is your opinion about Total GMAT Verbal book by J.Sackmann? Unlike Quant, Verbal has virtually no feedback neither proper review available on the internet.
Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE: Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 33

Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 12:30
BB,

Any thoughts on Manhattan GMAT CR vs PowerScore CR?

Which one has the better strategies/explanations?

I'm currently using MGMAT and think it's okay. Just wanted to see what the other alternative was like.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1157

Kudos [?]: 5381 [0], given: 165

Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2010, 05:54
Expert's post
elevinty wrote:

SC1 discusses the eight categories of errors and how to identify them. SC2 delves into the more advanced concepts. e.g. SC1 discusses verb tenses and active and passive voice, SC2 discusses mood - indicative, imperative and subjunctive and where to use them.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 432

Premium Member
Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2010, 14:00
Expert's post
USCTrojan2006 wrote:
Any thoughts on Manhattan GMAT CR vs PowerScore CR?

My response is a tad too late, I'm afraid, but both of these guides are among the most popular choices. I used the Powerscore CR Bible and can vouch for its high quality and engaging writing style. It's truly a fantastic guidebook.

Vorskl wrote:
What is your opinion about Total GMAT Verbal book by J.Sackmann? Unlike Quant, Verbal has virtually no feedback neither proper review available on the internet.

Again, sorry for my late arrival. Sackmann has some interesting products, but not too many people use his verbal guide. I've read a few reviews, and so far it seems that MGMAT and Powerscore offer better products for verbal.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 5

Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2011, 08:53
shovitdhar wrote:
Two books which seem to be in the news a lot lately are SC Grail and RC99 . Having been reading great reviews about the book
760-q-48-v-46-think-i-did-the-gmat-101003.html ,
710-4-years-back-to-740-today-thanks-a-lot-gmatclub-103940.html ,
time-to-move-on-104079.html

Have also come across them subsequently on different forums. I bought the books and have found the SC Grail book to be really helpful for Sentence Correction.It lives up to the hype it has generated .RC99 has also been immensely helpful in my preparation as I have never been into the habit of reading and was struggling quite a lot in RCs. The book has 99 passages divided into three difficulty levels and though I am yet to do the high difficulty level passages ,but I have seen quite an improvement over the last few weeks.
Shovit

I agree with you, Aristotle definitely deserves a spot in the list.

The book might not suffice to take a non-native all the way to the top but the book makes it easy (and fun) to learn the basic concepts. Together with Manhattan SC it's a great combo in my opinion.

When one has learned the basics covered in Aristotle, he or she is ready to approach more advance grammars.

12/2010 GMATPrep 1 620 (Q34/V41)
01/2011 GMATPrep 2 640 (Q42/V36)
01/2011 GMATPrep 3 700 (Q47/V39)
02/2011 GMATPrep 4 710 (Q48/V39)
02/2011 MGMAT CAT 1 650 (Q46/V32)
02/2011 MGMAT CAT 2 680 (Q46/V36)
02/2011 MGMAT CAT 3 710 (Q45/V41)

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2011, 11:50
Hello,

I am a non-native english speaker ( I did my schooling in india and masters in US).
I am able to improve my CR and RC but I am hitting a wall with SC.

I reviewed Manhattan SC guide and grasped as much as I could but it appears that I am still unable to identify the errors in SC problems.

When I do OG problems I get approximately 50% of them correct.

Is there any other method/book/resource I should follow to improve my SC skills.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2011, 12:48
Best way to start GMAT Verbal prep?? Ideaas???
I am confused here. I have MGMAT SC and CR guides, plus the OG 12... Where should I start?
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 5.0
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 315

Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2011, 02:03
chocos wrote:
Best way to start GMAT Verbal prep?? Ideaas???
I am confused here. I have MGMAT SC and CR guides, plus the OG 12... Where should I start?

begin your verbal preparation with OG12. My recomendation is as follows:
- review knowlege sumarised prepared by og
- sample questions to practise
- consider carefully OG12 explantion.
- take the dianagostic test to evaluate your level

You may find explantions for Sentence correction by Manhattan GMAT pretty cool. btw, the material sentence correction by manhattan is just great.

Consider giving me kudos if you find my explanations helpful so i can learn how to express ideas to people more understandable.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2011, 23:22
i love the study plan chart and i like the hardcore plan... so already got all the books and doing it...hurrrayy.... whish me lcuk
i need 720 to go to my dream school... so hopefully the hardcore plan will do....
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 11

Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2011, 12:48
I wanted to buy the RC 99 after hearing much acclaim on the forum. however got fooled into buying the media feed which showed it has RC99 but not after making the payment. Guys I need to reconfirm now before I go to aristotle site and purchase whether there will be any such difficulty there..? I know should have visited the aristotle site earlier only :(( pls help..
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2011, 22:26
Has anyone read the ez solutions verbal books? If yes, can you guys share the pros and cons about the books with me? Thanks again.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2011, 14:09
Search for these books at your library! It will save you a ton of money!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2011, 14:44
menacel wrote:
Search for these books at your library! It will save you a ton of money!

Very good point.... I actually did fine some of the books on my list for GMAT at the library and checked them out...

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 670 Q45 V36
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2011, 21:32
Thanks BB, for the write-up. I'm working on improving my accuracy in SC. I believe this will help..

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations)   [#permalink] 26 Apr 2011, 21:32