Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:43 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [3]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 660 Q44 V35
Send PM
Re: Best IELTS preparation books [#permalink]
loriejane1234 wrote:
Hello,

I would love to share with you Cambridge IELTS series 1 - 11 (Cambridge IELTS 11 is the latest version which will be sold on the market in May, 2016).
I have a huge collection of more than 100 IELTS Books. If anyone is interested in any book, don't hesitate to let me know :)
Here is the list of must-have IELTS Books that I used to get Band 8.0 for IELTS:

1. The Official Cambridge Guide to IELTS
2. English Grammar in Use (Cambridge)
3. Cambridge IELTS 1 - 11
4. New Insight into IELTS
5. IELTS Target Band 7: How to maximize your score
6. English Collocations in Use
7. Barron's Essential Words for IELTS
8. Barron's Practice Exams
9. English Vocabulary in Use (Intermediate, Upper-intermediate, Advanced)
10. Improve your IELTS Skills (including 3 different books: Improve your IELTS Writing Skills, Improve your IELTS Reading Skills, Improve your IELTS Speaking and ListeningSkills )
11. Cambridge Advanced Learner’s Dictionary (4th edition)
12. Ace The IELTS
13. Common Mistakes at IELTS Advanced And How to Avoid Them
14. Academic Writing for IELTS by Sam McCarter

Feel free to share your reviews, comments about these books so that other IELTS learners can get a deeper insight into them.
If you want to have any IELTS books, just let me know by leaving your email here, I will send via email in a few days.

Heay!

would really appreciate if you could send it to carl.57.b@gmail.com

thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Official material by BC is far good, but material is limited in quantity. So go for other books and you also can search material online.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Bookmarks
Firstly you need to understand that IELTS is a language based test that focuses to test your ability to comprehend speak and write English. For that, you just need to have a basic understanding of the language. In the Listening section, they expose you to different accents. Hence, if you are not exposed much to English of different accents, I would recommend you to watch as many English movies, web series you can. By this way, you can tune yourself to different accents as well as you will be entertained. Also, you should try one or two model listening tests of an hour each. You can get ample such stuff over the internet especially youtube. During practice as well as in exam please try to keep your concentration level high because your attention does count. Try to score more marks in the first 20 questions because they will be easy to listen and comprehend.

Coming to reading section, read a variety of materials viz. articles, editorials of newspapers, stories of different genres. While choosing the article to read, please ensure that the article is at least 1000-1500 words long. During the exam, before reading try to have a glimpse of the questions and look for keywords. This will help you in finding the answers quickly. Practice accordingly at home too.

Now, the writing section. IELTS tests your basic writing capability. If you are unsure of strong vocab better avoid it but make sure you are writing grammatically correct and coherent sentences. You may find paraphrasing technique pretty useful here. For more information on these techniques, please log into youtube and search for IELTSLiz. She has some amazing inputs and techniques for writing lessons.

Last but not the least, speaking section. Only one suggestion “speak your heart out”, speak as much as you can. Try to elaborate as much as possible. Focus on phrasing grammatically correct and coherent sentences. You can try practicing in front of a mirror if you are unsure about your posture. Don’t be much worried about your accent,also don’t try to copy a particular accent. Be calm, confident and maintain proper eye contact. You will get one minute to think about the subject they will give you, utilize the time wisely. Write down keywords what you want to convey. Once again be relaxed, confident and speak.

P.S: This is the way I prepared. If you really want a book, I would recommend Barrons’s IELTS or Cambridge English IELTS 12 or Model IELTS booklet provided by IDP(It has around 8 practice tests)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Hi

I am looking forward to prepare for IELTS. Please guide where to get online resource. Official IELTS practice material comes with a CD and since my CD player crashed, I wouldn't be able to use that.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM