Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 20:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Best MBA program for Product/Brand Management (end goal NYC)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Best MBA program for Product/Brand Management (end goal NYC) [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2010, 13:08
Hi Everyone,
I'm a Georgetown MSB graduate interested in pursuing a career in Product/Brand Management (or Retail Luxury Goods) but I want to be in New York City post-MBA. I don't have a numbers background so I need an MBA program to really provide that financial analysis foundation I'm lacking...Not sure if a purely case-method program can provide this?

Any recommendations for MBA programs I should look into?

Thanks,
HoyaSaxa
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Simon Graduate School of Business '13
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 44

Re: Best MBA program for Product/Brand Management (end goal NYC) [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 05:20
This post received
KUDOS
Hey HoyaSaxa,

I'm in a similar boat.

If I'm not mistaken, Stern has a Luxury Goods/Retail concentration, so obviously that would be ideal if you want to end up in NYC.

Johnson also has a great brand management program, and they have heavy alumni and recruiting connections to NYC.

Also, Kelley has one of the best consumer marketing programs in the country, and focus heavily on the quant/analytical aspects of marketing. The only caveat is that most of their recruiting companies and alumni are based in the Midwest.

Also, if you're serious about really focusing on refining your hard, numbers skills, you should look into Tepper, Simon, and Sloan.

And finally, there's always Kellogg, Wharton, and Fuqua- the big 3 for marketing.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Best MBA program for Product/Brand Management (end goal NYC) [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 06:06
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks so much for your reply!

I definitely like the Kellogg program, especially with it being "the marketing school" but I've been told I should look at general management programs with a focus in financial analysis since brand management is a bit like running your own business. I'm a little concerned about my low gpa (3.1) for quant schools like Tepper and Wharton. I went to a good undergrad business school, but performed better in my marketing courses than my quant classes, which is why I need to really reinforce those skills.

I see you're interested in UNC and Fuqua, are you looking to stay in the South? I like both programs but as I mentioned before, I really want to be in NYC post-MBA.
Stanford Thread Master
Schools: Booth
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 68

Re: Best MBA program for Product/Brand Management (end goal NYC) [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2010, 10:57
It would seem to me that you should focus on programs in NYC, since that is where you really want to be. Nothing beats being in the place you want to get a job post-MBA. Stern and Columbia seem like obvious choices.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Best MBA program for Product/Brand Management (end goal NYC) [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2012, 22:55
I have a question, hopefully, this thread is still alive.

Do international students sign up for Brand Management courses and how many end up with
good jobs in the CPG like industry.

I have heard that companies do not prefer international students as Brand Managers.
Is this true.

Does anyone have any statistics.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Best MBA program for Product/Brand Management (end goal NYC)   [#permalink] 21 Nov 2012, 22:55