Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 05:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Best Online Prep Programs If You Are Broke?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
WE: General Management (Transportation)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Best Online Prep Programs If You Are Broke? [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2013, 14:33
Hello. First of all, I just want to say how thrilled I am that I found GMAT Club! This is very helpful, although it is a lot of information to digest.

What are your suggestions for an online prep program that is low cost? Trust me, if I had the extra money to invest in an expensive program I would. I am looking at 800score, Grockit and Magoosh. If you have any other suggestions for online prep program that is less expensive please let me know.

Also, I am looking at getting a used copy of the MGMAT books that is recommended by BB in the getting started section. Would that be preferable to signing up for one of the online prep courses? I can only afford the 4th edition (2009) version, so hopefully that is adequate.

Thank you!
Maycat
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2272

Kudos [?]: 8774 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Best Online Prep Programs If You Are Broke? [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2013, 14:51
Expert's post
Take a look here: gmat-study-plan-low-cost-online-study-courses-153193.html

And also here:
gmat-prep-on-the-cheap-side-how-to-save-the-most-money-82151.html

Also, if you have an iPhone or iPod or iPad, the Veritas Prep self-study on demand course, can be downloaded absolutely free on the iTunes App store. They used to charge $20 per lesson/class and recently (perhaps a glitch) those classes/lessons have become free.

I know cost is a big concern for you. However, the prep cost is only a fraction of what you will have to spend on even getting into the MBA (I am not even talking about paying tuition or living expenses). Think about ROI rather than cost and pure numbers ;-)

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
MBA Blogger
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Schools: HBS '16, Fuqua
GMAT 1: 510 Q25 V36
GMAT 2: 510 Q29 V31
WE: Research (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Best Online Prep Programs If You Are Broke? [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2013, 14:43
This post received
KUDOS
Know the feeling. I choice magoosh and really liked it.

Other ways to save money
Find out which part you need to improve maths or verbal and focus your money on that area.

There there are two things you need to do. Revise the concepts of said area. The official guide will tell you what they will test. Secondly learning and practising how the GMAT uses those concepts in its exam.

GMAT specific
Study groups in local area might be helpful.
Gumtree or other community based forums might be useful in either finding cheap GMAT books or private tutor. I found my tutor through that route and they were good vfm.
Questions compiled by GMAT club members.
Reusing GMAT prep test several times.
Buying the GMAT club app to get access to lots of questions.
Trail classes or seminars given by the various testing companies.
GMAT club test question of the day.
Khan academy goes through and answers the official guide.
Blogs written by various test prep companies. Can access through GMAT club app.

Learning the concepts
Revision books from for maths for interimdate school exams.

English grammar books.
Groupon deals for school level revision courses on line.
Khan academy for maths.
Ted talks
Free access courses run by Stanford, Harvard etc.
Reading the guardian newspaper. The bbc website.
Free articles on economist website.
Free apps on your smart phone.
Free ebooks-classic English literature.
Cross word puzzles, sudoku, logic puzzles.
Friends that love maths or English that can trouble shot when you have a problem.

Feel free to drop me a message. Also having to do study on a budget.

Sarah

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Re: Best Online Prep Programs If You Are Broke? [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2013, 21:09
bb wrote:

Also, if you have an iPhone or iPod or iPad, the Veritas Prep self-study on demand course, can be downloaded absolutely free on the iTunes App store. They used to charge $20 per lesson/class and recently (perhaps a glitch) those classes/lessons have become free.

I know cost is a big concern for you. However, the prep cost is only a fraction of what you will have to spend on even getting into the MBA (I am not even talking about paying tuition or living expenses). Think about ROI rather than cost and pure numbers ;-)

Thanks, bb, I looked at the links, and am following your advise. I also broke down and ordered the MGMAT series. My employer is going to help me.

It is interesting to think about ROI, as I am struggling with the idea of going to a higher-tier school because of the debt I will incur. I am thinking about driving the 200 miles to the city to interview with my preferred school, and will try to find the room in my budget for gas. I am older and live in a rural small town area with few high paying jobs. I am not sure I will be able to recoup a sufficient return on investment on the large tuition. There is a chance I will be able to relocate to a large metropolitan area and in that case it will be well worth it. Right now as a step-mom to three kids I don't have much choice in were I live.

What I can control is the time and discipline to do really well on this test, so succeeding on the GMAT is my goal for now.

Thanks again,
Maycat.
Intern
Intern

Re: Best Online Prep Programs If You Are Broke? [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2013, 21:18
sarahrs wrote:
Know the feeling. I choice magoosh and really liked it.

Other ways to save money
Find out which part you need to improve maths or verbal and focus your money on that area.

There there are two things you need to do. Revise the concepts of said area. The official guide will tell you what they will test. Secondly learning and practising how the GMAT uses those concepts in its exam.

GMAT specific
Study groups in local area might be helpful.
Gumtree or other community based forums might be useful in either finding cheap GMAT books or private tutor. I found my tutor through that route and they were good vfm.
Questions compiled by GMAT club members.
Reusing GMAT prep test several times.
Buying the GMAT club app to get access to lots of questions.
Trail classes or seminars given by the various testing companies.
GMAT club test question of the day.
Khan academy goes through and answers the official guide.
Blogs written by various test prep companies. Can access through GMAT club app.

Learning the concepts
Revision books from for maths for interimdate school exams.

English grammar books.
Groupon deals for school level revision courses on line.
Khan academy for maths.
Ted talks
Free access courses run by Stanford, Harvard etc.
Reading the guardian newspaper. The bbc website.
Free articles on economist website.
Free apps on your smart phone.
Free ebooks-classic English literature.
Cross word puzzles, sudoku, logic puzzles.
Friends that love maths or English that can trouble shot when you have a problem.

Feel free to drop me a message. Also having to do study on a budget.

Sarah

Posted from my mobile device

Thanks, Sarah. I will check out Magoosh. And look at some of the other sites and resources you mentioned.
Expert Post
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Affiliations: Economist GMAT Tutor
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 3

Premium Member
Re: Best Online Prep Programs If You Are Broke? [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2013, 12:38
Expert's post
Hi maycat,

To echo sarahrs, not only does the Economist offer free articles that you can read to improve your grammar / reading comprehension skills, but we also offer a GMAT prep program. And we provide a very budget friendly trial -- it's completely free and lasts for 7 days. My advice would be to wait for a week when you can devote time to your studies, then sign up for a trial. Then practice, practice, practice!

If you have any questions, just let me know!

(You can sign up for the trial here: http://econgm.at/gmatclub)

http://econgm.at/GCfreetrial
For free GMAT practice questions, follow us @econgmat_qs
Economist GMAT Tutor
(866) 292-0660

Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 288

Kudos [?]: 656 [0], given: 6

Re: Best Online Prep Programs If You Are Broke? [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2013, 11:18
Expert's post
There are plenty of free resources -- the paid content is usually better, better organized (thereby saving you time) and more efficient at conveying information. That said, as bb said, you should focus on ROI. How much return for investment do you get?

If you're striving for a super high GMAT (and potentially scholarship opportunities), you should follow in the footsteps of these gmatpillers who got free tuition at their schools. Under $200 investment yielded $50K. Huge ROI. And under $400 investment yielded, $93K. Huge ROI as well.

http://gmatclub.com/blog/2013/05/93k-mb ... ss-school/
http://www.gmatpill.com/the-gmat-pill-m ... l-student/

Further, you'll probably find the most valuable unique RC resource here, and you won't have to worry about spending money in your pockets. But just be forewarned, to really internalize a thinking process requires repetition, numerous examples, and application. Without a methodology, it's going to be hard to retain the strategies and to apply them effectively on test day.

Here's your freebie on RC:
http://www.gmatpill.com/practice-questi ... -guide-rc/

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Re: Best Online Prep Programs If You Are Broke?   [#permalink] 26 Sep 2013, 11:18