Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 11:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Best places to take practice tests?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Best places to take practice tests? [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2012, 23:50
Hi all, I've been taking practice tests at home on my own laptop, and I feel that it's time for me to get out and try different settings so that I get used to taking the test under varied conditions. Is this important? If so, does anyone have recommendations for good places to go? Do any GMAT prep companies offer simulated test centers that I could use for a fee independently of courses? If it matters, I'm in NYC.

Thanks all!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 377 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Best places to take practice tests? [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2012, 06:39
bebeisagirl wrote:
Hi all, I've been taking practice tests at home on my own laptop, and I feel that it's time for me to get out and try different settings so that I get used to taking the test under varied conditions. Is this important? If so, does anyone have recommendations for good places to go? Do any GMAT prep companies offer simulated test centers that I could use for a fee independently of courses? If it matters, I'm in NYC.

Thanks all!

The best thing to do is mimic the test environment.

Take the standard breaks, no pausing, using something to mimic the test pad (or buy a test pad from amazon), don't skip over the essays, etc. Another thing is visit the test center to make sure you're happy with the location, surroundings, building access, etc.

Kaplan offers taking a practice test in a test center.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Best places to take practice tests? [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2012, 10:33
has to be Gmat club and Manhattan
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 119

Kudos [?]: 560 [1] , given: 114

Re: Best places to take practice tests? [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2012, 13:20
This post received
KUDOS
I would try a library, as many times they have work stations that can be used. Also a great part about this is that libararies do have some distractions, just like you will have on test day.

Also, if you sign up for a Kaplan online or in person course they offer the "test day experience" where you can actually take the test at the same pearson vue center where you will take the real GMAT. I used this, and it was awesome! (obviously this choice costs money).

No matter where you take your test, I would try to do a couple things to mimic the real test:

1. Take your practice tests at the same time and day (if possible) with same length breaks + AWA as on the real test
2. Use earplugs, b/c it helps block out distractions (it's too easy to have a silent room at home, but this WON'T happen at the test center. There will be a certain amount of disctractions and noises... especially others typing away on their computer
3. Talking about typing, make sure to practice AWA on a real keyboard, not a laptop keyboard. You'd be surprised how much different it feels to type on a full sized regular keyboard as opposed to a laptop keyboard.
4. Try to take your test on a 22" monitor. I noticed that my laptop screen was much smaller and I sometimes actually had a hard time seeing the questions (especially when the "pi" sign was used). I would try to practice on a regulard desktop computer with regular screen size.

other than that, read my article in my signature about the 10 tips to improve your score with no extra studying. This goes over some other ways that you can improve your score by improving your intangibles. GOOD LUCK!

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Best places to take practice tests?   [#permalink] 18 Mar 2012, 13:20