Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 12:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Best Practice 2 Communicate All Aspects of Meaning of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Read the article below & mark the correct answer for the EXERCISE QUESTION

You may select 1 option
TAGS:
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1239

Kudos [?]: 3422 [1] , given: 183

Best Practice 2 Communicate All Aspects of Meaning of [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 08:16
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

83% (02:21) correct 17% (02:24) wrong based on 36 sessions

Best Practice 2 – Communicate “All” Aspects of Meaning of Original Choice

Continuing our “Best Practices for SC” series, this week I will present a very vital best practice – Always make sure that the correct choice communicates “all” logical information presented by the original choice.

Before I begin, I want to make sure that the readers of this article recognize the importance of understanding meaning of the original sentence. If you have any doubts regarding this aspect, then I suggest you view this session in which I go over this most important aspect of Sentence Correction section.

Coming back to this article - in this article we will take a look at an official question and see how the test makers may create an incorrect answer choice by removing key piece of information that the author wants to communicate. And how do you know what it is that the author wants to communicate – you read and comprehend the original choice. So apart from checking for logical meaning and grammatical correctness, you must also ensure that all the logical information present in the original choice is communicated by the correct answer. So let’s read on :)

Quote:
When drafting the Declaration of Sentiments that was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women’s Rights Conventions in 1848, included in it by the author, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, was a call for female enfranchisement.

(A) When drafting the Declaration of Sentiments that was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women’s Rights Conventions in 1848, included n it by the author, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, was a call for female enfranchisement.

(B) Including a call for female enfranchisement, a draft of the Declaration of Sentiments was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women’s Rights Conventions in 1848 that Elizabeth Cady Stanton wrote.

(C) When the Declaration of Sentiments drafted by Elizabeth Cady Stanton was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women’s Rights Convention in 1848, a call for female enfranchisement had been included in it .

(D) A call for female enfranchisement, included in Elizabeth Cady Stanton’s draft of the Declaration of Sentiments in 1848, that was adopted by the Seneca Falls Women’s Rights Convention.

(E) When Elizabeth Cady Stanton drafted the Declaration of Sentiments that was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women’s Rights Convention in 1848, she included in it a call for female enfranchisement.

STEP 1 - UNDERSTAND THE MEANING OF CHOICE A

The first thing I will do is read the entire sentence slowly to grasp the intent of the author. After all I need to first understand what the author is trying to tell me through this sentence.

When drafting the Declaration of Sentiments that was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women’s Rights Conventions in 1848, included in it by the author, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, was a call for female enfranchisement.

When drafting the Declaration of Sentiments – Ok the author wants to tell me something about that someone who drafted the DoS.
• I read along – that was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women’s Right Convention in 1848. Ok. So the DoS was adopted at this specific convention in the year 1848.
• Reading along, I see – included in it by the author, Elizabeth Cady Stanton – the author of this DoS is Elizabeth. And she included something in this DoS.
was a call for female enfranchisement – So she included this call for female enfranchisement in the DoS.

So if I were to put the entire sentence together in my mind, I would say that the sentence talks about a document called Declaration of Sentiments (DoS). There is information about when it was adopted, where it was adopted, and who wrote it. We also know that when the author drafted this document, she included in it a call for female enfranchisement.

With this understanding we will now review the sentence once again but this time we will be looking specifically for grammatical errors.

STEP 2 – IDENTIFY THE ERRORS IN CHOICE A

This sentence begins with an expression “when drafting DoS”. This expression appears to talk about the person who drafted the DoS. We know this is Elizabeth. So this expression logically modifies Elizabeth. But grammatically Elizabeth is not placed close to this modifier for this modification to take place. Thus, this sentence has modifier error.

Other than the modifier error, the sentence is written in grammatically correct form, and as we discussed earlier, it presents logical information.

Now with this understanding of meaning and errors in the original sentence, we will review the answer choices one by one and find the correct answer.

STEP 3 – FIND THE CORRECT CHOICE FROM THE ANSWER CHOICES

Choice B: Including a call for female enfranchisement, a draft of the Declaration of Sentiments was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women’s Rights Conventions in 1848 that Elizabeth Cady Stanton wrote.

This choice is incorrect. Why? Notice the opening modifier “including a call for…” It non-sensically modifies “a draft”. Clearly the draft did not include this mentioned call. Furthermore, notice the modified entity of modifier “that Elizabeth Cady Stanton wrote” is not clear. It is not at all clear what this modifier modifies. In other words we know that this should modify the DoS, but it is placed next to 1848, illogically modifying this closest noun.
Now let’s move to choice C.

Choice C: When the Declaration of Sentiments drafted by Elizabeth Cady Stanton was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women’s Rights Convention in 1848, a call for female enfranchisement had been included in it.

After first read, I can see that this choice corrects the modifier error in choice A. But when I read this choice again, I find that it misses to mention one very important point. Who included the call in the DoS? Notice how the verb “had been included” is now written in passive voice and the person who did this action is no longer mentioned explicitly in this choice. So for all we know, someone other than Elizabeth may have included this “call”. May be Elizabeth drafted the DoS, had it reviewed by someone, and this person included this call in it and then later this DoS was adopted at the convention. So this choice is wrong because it does not convey the complete meaning as communicated by the original sentence – more specifically it does not state that Elizabeth included the call. So it is very important to read and comprehend the entire sentence before moving to the answer choices. Otherwise, there is a high likelihood of marking the first seemingly ‘correct’ answer choice.

Now let’s look at choice D.

Choice D: A call for female enfranchisement, included in Elizabeth Cady Stanton’s draft of the Declaration of Sentiments in 1848, that was adopted by the Seneca Falls Women’s Rights Convention.

This choice is incorrect because there is no main verb in the sentence. The subject “call” does not have any verb. This brings us to choice E, which better be written correctly since we have rejected all other choices :)

Choice E: When Elizabeth Cady Stanton drafted the Declaration of Sentiments that was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women’s Rights Convention in 1848, she included in it a call for female enfranchisement.

This choice is absolutely correct. It is written in grammatically correct form and includes all pertinent information as intended by the author of choice A. Notice how the sentence explicitly mentions that Elizabeth included the call in the DoS.

So Choice E is the correct answer. Now let’s take a look at the key takeaways from this official question.

Here are the key things to keep in mind when you solve SC questions.
In fact “changing the voice” is one of the strategies used by the test makers to change the meaning of the sentence. For more information, read Strategy # 4 in the article that covers 5 strategies GMAC uses to change meaning of the sentence.
Now you are ready to apply your skills on the following exercise question. Keep in mind the takeaways as you answer this question. Good luck :)

EXERCISE QUESTION

Although Google has launched ‘unchic’ glasses with a computer processor, a battery, and a tiny screen to provide Internet access through wearable technology, it has approached Warby Parker, an e-commerce eyeglass company, to help it for designing more fashionable frames.
A. it has approached Warby Parker, an e-commerce eyeglass company, to help it for designing
B. Warby Parker, an e-commerce eyeglass company, has been approached so that it can design
C. it has approached Warby Parker, an e-commerce eyeglass company, to design
D. Warby Parker, an e-commerce eyeglass company, has been approached to design
E. it has approached Warby Parker, an e-commerce eyeglass company, to help it design
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Goizueta '15 (D)
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 3: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 9

Re: e-GMAT's Best Practices for SC - Practice 2 [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 13:07
This post received
KUDOS
Although Google has launched ‘unchic’ glasses with a computer processor, a battery, and a tiny screen to provide Internet access through wearable technology, it has approached Warby Parker, an e-commerce eyeglass company, to help it for designing more fashionable frames.
A. it has approached Warby Parker, an e-commerce eyeglass company, to help it for designing - second 'it' is ambiguous, 'help for designing' - is incorrect usage.
B. Warby Parker, an e-commerce eyeglass company, has been approached so that it can design - Passive voices ignores who approached WP
C. it has approached Warby Parker, an e-commerce eyeglass company, to design - There is a subtle change in intended meaning.The reason for approaching WP has been changed from 'helping design' to 'designing'.
D. Warby Parker, an e-commerce eyeglass company, has been approached to design - Passive voices ignores who approached WP
E. it has approached Warby Parker, an e-commerce eyeglass company, to help it design - Correct Answer
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 1

Re: e-GMAT's Best Practices for SC - Practice 2 [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 15:10
Could you please explain why the use of "it" in choice E is not ambiguous?

get2aditya wrote:
A. it has approached Warby Parker, an e-commerce eyeglass company, to help it for designing - second 'it' is ambiguous, 'help for designing' - is incorrect usage.
E. it has approached Warby Parker, an e-commerce eyeglass company, to help it design - Correct Answer

Consider Kudos if my post helps.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 2

Re: e-GMAT's Best Practices for SC - Practice 2 [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 18:19
This post received
KUDOS
egmat wrote:

Best Practice 2 – Communicate “All” Aspects of Meaning of Original Choice

A. it has approached Warby Parker, an e-commerce eyeglass company, to help it for designing
B. Warby Parker, an e-commerce eyeglass company, has been approached so that it can design
C. it has approached Warby Parker, an e-commerce eyeglass company, to design
D. Warby Parker, an e-commerce eyeglass company, has been approached to design
E. it has approached Warby Parker, an e-commerce eyeglass company, to help it design

Meaning :- The sentence provides information about a contrast for Google that Google although has launched eyeglasses with the intention of providing internet access through some technology, it has approached another company to help design frames.

Error Analysis :- 'for designing' is not the correct phrase to use in the given context

Option A :- Explained
Option B :- The option changes the meaning, the contrast about Google is no longer valid, the IC no longer provides any information about Google. The sentence with this option provides information of 2 unrelated facts.
Option C :- This option changes the meaning of the sentence, the original sentence states that Google approached another company to help Google design frames, per this option Google approached other company to design frames.
Option D :- This option is similar to option B and provides information of 2 unrelated facts.
Option E :- Correct

IMO :- E
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 8

Reviews Badge
Re: e-GMAT's Best Practices for SC - Practice 2 [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 18:50
This post received
KUDOS
sumeetkarora wrote:

get2aditya wrote:

E. "it" gramatically can refer to Warby Parker and to Google but logically can refer only to Google. A bit confusing, but I believe this is why e-gmat chose this question. You would need to understand the meaning first to determine that "it" logically cannot refer to "Warby Parker" (although gramatically it can). "Google produced "unchic" glasses" implies that it will be seeking someone else's help (aka. W. Parker's) to design the better glasses. It doesn't make sense to say "it" (Google) has approached W. Parker to help "it" (W. Parker) design better frames.
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative

Kudos [?]: 3422 [0], given: 183

Re: e-GMAT's Best Practices for SC - Practice 2 [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 19:23
Expert's post
stoy4o wrote:

E. "it" gramatically can refer to Warby Parker and to Google but logically can refer only to Google. A bit confusing, but I believe this is why e-gmat chose this question. You would need to understand the meaning first to determine that "it" logically cannot refer to "Warby Parker" (although gramatically it can). "Google produced "unchic" glasses" implies that it will be seeking someone else's help (aka. W. Parker's) to design the better glasses. It doesn't make sense to say "it" (Google) has approached W. Parker to help "it" (W. Parker) design better frames.

Perfect explanation @stoy4o! You are using logic to guide you. Very good.
Another thing here is that first occurrence of "it" refers to Google. So if logic allows, then the second occurrence will have more propensity to refer to Google.

Regards,

Payal

Free Webinar: August 24, 2014 - Improve by 70 Points in 30 days: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your strategy, analyze your mocks and improve by 70 points in 30 days. Click here to register.

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative

Re: e-GMAT's Best Practices for SC - Practice 2 [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 19:25
Expert's post
Dinesh2Apr wrote:
Option C :- This option changes the meaning of the sentence, the original sentence states that Google approached another company to help Google design frames, per this option Google approached other company to design frames.
Option E :- Correct

IMO :- E

Perfect explanation for choice C. You nailed it! When I see such precise explanations, it brings a big smile on my face :)

- Payal

Free Webinar: August 24, 2014 - Improve by 70 Points in 30 days: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your strategy, analyze your mocks and improve by 70 points in 30 days. Click here to register.

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative

Re: e-GMAT's Best Practices for SC - Practice 2 [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 19:26
Expert's post
get2aditya wrote:

Very good treatment Aditya. Just one small question - why do you think second "it" is ambiguous. What could it refer to, and will that reference make sense per the context of the sentence?

- Payal

VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 255 [0], given: 67

Re: e-GMAT's Best Practices for SC - Practice 2 [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 00:26
(E) When Elizabeth Cady Stanton drafted the Declaration of Sentiments that was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women’s Rights Convention in 1848, she included in it a call for female enfranchisement.
Hi payal
Clause 1 When Elizabeth Cady Stanton drafted the Declaration of Sentiments
Clause 2 that was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women’s Rights Convention in 1848
Clause 3 she included in it a call for female enfranchisement
Clause 3 is an independent clause , whereas Clause 1 and 2 are dependent clauses....hence the structure is Dependent clause 1, Dependent clause 2, Independent clause

Am i correct in my analysis

Archit
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative

Re: e-GMAT's Best Practices for SC - Practice 2 [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 23:21
Expert's post
Archit143 wrote:
Hi payal
Clause 1 When Elizabeth Cady Stanton drafted the Declaration of Sentiments
Clause 2 that was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women’s Rights Convention in 1848
Clause 3 she included in it a call for female enfranchisement
Clause 3 is an independent clause , whereas Clause 1 and 2 are dependent clauses....hence the structure is Dependent clause 1, Dependent clause 2, Independent clause

Am i correct in my analysis

Archit

Yes Archit, your sentence structure analysis for choice E is correct. The only minor correction is that clause 1 and clause 2 are not connected using comma. Notice that clause 2 begins with "that" and hence comma should not be used to connect it to the preceding clause.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: e-GMAT's Best Practices for SC - Practice 2 [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 12:32
'C' changes the meaning of the sentence.
However, 'E' keeps the original meaning and the second 'it' refers to the closest noun "Warby Parker"

stoy4o wrote:
sumeetkarora wrote:

get2aditya wrote:

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 23

Re: e-GMAT's Best Practices for SC - Practice 2 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 16:11
egmat wrote:
stoy4o wrote:

Perfect explanation @stoy4o! You are using logic to guide you. Very good.
Another thing here is that first occurrence of "it" refers to Google. So if logic allows, then the second occurrence will have more propensity to refer to Google.

Regards,

Payal

I disagree with using logic to determine whether or not a pronoun is ambiguous. There are OG questions that contain pronouns that are considered to be ambiguous, even though those pronouns can logically refer to only one noun.

For an example of this, look at the official explanation for the "chambers inside the pyramid of the Pharaoh Menkaure at Giza" question (OG13 SC #8). The official explanation considers C and D to have an ambiguous pronoun, even though it makes no logical sense to have tourists exhaling moisture and thereby raising the humidity within themselves.

I agree that logic is extremely important on the GMAT, especially for modifier questions like the "Declaration of Sentiment" one in the original post, but logic doesn't belong in the analysis of ambiguous pronouns.

While I am on the subject, I think pronoun ambiguity needs to have an extremely low importance - it is only relevant when all other grammatical rules and meaning concerns have been exhausted. The only consideration less important than pronoun ambiguity is brevity. Why? In the question above, "it" is potentially ambiguous according to GMAT rules; therefore, we should eliminate both A and E (B is questionable but not terrible because parallelism prefers the subject "it" to match the subject of the previous clause). However, that would lead us to the wrong answer. Instead, we can ignore that potential ambiguity and keep A and E because there are other reasons to eliminate the other answers.
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative

Re: Best Practice 2 Communicate All Aspects of Meaning of [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 10:07
Expert's post
Hi Folks,

Hope this article helped you. Now here comes the detailed explanation of the exercise question:

Although Google has launched ‘unchic’ glasses with a computer processor, a battery, and a tiny screen to provide Internet access through wearable technology, it has approached Warby Parker, an e-commerce eyeglass company, to help it for designing more fashionable frames

Meaning Analysis
• This sentence presents contrast.
• Google has launched glasses – wearable technology that provides internet access
o These glasses contain a computer processor, a battery, and a tiny screen.
o These glasses are not very attractive
• Even though Google has LAUNCHED these glasses, it has approached Warby Parker so that Warby Parker can help it design more fashionable frames.
o Warby Parker is an online eyeglass company.

Errors in Original Sentence
• Clause 1: Although Google has launched ‘unchic’ glasses with a computer processor, a battery, and a tiny screen to provide Internet access through wearable technology,
• Clause 2: it has approached Warby Parker, an e-commerce eyeglass company, to help it for designing more fashionable frames.

1. Use of “for designing” is not grammatical. The correct expression is “help it design…”.

PoE:

A. it has approached Warby Parker, an e-commerce eyeglass company, to help it for designing: Incorrect.
Error - Incorrect for the reason stated above.

B. Warby Parker, an e-commerce eyeglass company, has been approached so that it can design: Incorrect.
Error 1 – The active voice verb of Clause 2 has been turned into passive voice here. Because of this change, the choice now fails to say that Google approached Warby Parker. It just says that Warby Parker was approached but the information regarding who approached Parker is missing.
Error 2 – The original sentence says that Google approached Warby Parker to help Google design more fashionable frames. However, this choice says that Warby Parker was approached not to help Google design the frames but “to design” frames, i.e Warby will now be designing the frames. This is a clear shift in meaning.

C. it has approached Warby Parker, an e-commerce eyeglass company, to design: Incorrect.
Error 1 – This choice repeats the same meaning error as in Choice B.

D. Warby Parker, an e-commerce eyeglass company, has been approached to design: Incorrect.
Error – This choice repeats both the errors of choice B.

E. it has approached Warby Parker, an e-commerce eyeglass company, to help it design: Correct.
This choice corrects the error of choice A.

Takeaways
1. The correct answer choice must contain all the information presented in the original sentence. (Refer to our new article that deals with this topic in detail – link…)
2. Omission of some words may lead to change in the meaning of the sentence. Be wary of such choices.

Hooe this helps. :-)
Thanks.

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative

Re: Best Practice 2 Communicate All Aspects of Meaning of [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 10:18
Expert's post
Thanks every one for participating in this question/poll.

Here are the statistics for this question:

Number of responses - 50
48% people answered this question correctly.

Also, for those of you who selected the correct answer, I suggest that you go through the official explanation to confirm that your rationale for rejecting the incorrect choices was sound. Remember its important to select the correct answer, but equally important is that you should reject the incorrect choices for the right reasons. :)

Thanks.

Re: Best Practice 2 Communicate All Aspects of Meaning of   [#permalink] 04 Mar 2013, 10:18