Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 09:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

best programs for entrepreneurship

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

best programs for entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2008, 18:56
I know there are a lot of rankings out there but was just wondering what people on this board think which schools have great programs for entrepreneurship....
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: best programs for entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2008, 19:06
UCLA, Haas, and Stanford for West Coast. HBS and Wharton for East Coast. I'd put Stanford and Haas as #1 and #2 in the country.

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: best programs for entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 05:28
According to Financial Times:
Best in entrepreneurship **

1 Babson College: Olin
2 UCLA: Anderson
3 Stanford University GSB
4 UC Berkeley: Haas
5 MIT: Sloan
6 University of Arizona: Eller
7 Instituto de Empresa
8 University of Texas at Austin: McCombs
9 Imperial College London: Tanaka
10 Iese Business School

I'm saying to endorse these ranking, but they are a good staring point. I would take a high ranked school any day, even for entrepreneurship. Brand will help you open the doors that much easily

So I would suggest start from UCLA, Stanford, UC Berkeley, MIT, University of texas at Austin to begin with,
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [1] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: best programs for entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 06:42
This post received
KUDOS
Honestly I say for ent. the best path is to go to the best school you get into. The contacts you get are going to be much more valuable at a top5 school than anything you will learn at Babson. Having access to alums who are in venture capital and who can introduce you to the right people is going to be the biggest help trying to start any business. Lots of schools now are building on their programs too because it is becoming a more popular goal even though many people dont go into it immediately out of school. Most people enter the work force for a few years to help pay off their student loan debt.

I would say that go to the best school you get into regardless of this specialty ranking. No matter where you go you will find classes aimed at you, clubs, and people that enter the business plan competitions. I still think the stronger the brand on your bio the bigger the advantage when chasing funding.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: best programs for entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 07:01
Solid advice from riverripper, +1. I'm a budding entrepreneur myself and I completely agree with what he said. The rankings are pretty meaningless when it comes to "learning" something like entrepreneurship.

Virtually any business school worth its salt will give you the classes, clubs and business plan competitions you need to refine your entrepreneurial goals. But in the end it's all about the network. For instance, I already have a very strong professional network within my industry of interest in New York City - so Columbia, NYU and Cornell even though they aren't specifically known for specialties in entrepreneurship are probably the schools that make the most sense for me. If for nothing else then because they give me the most opportunities to maintain and build upon my professional network in New York.

Furthermore, if your business plans don't involve tech or "products", then it's not even a requirement to get access to venture capital. You should just have lots of potential clients who are familiar with what you have to offer, and you can start out small. Of course an MBA can help you figure all this out, but it doesn't need to be from the school ranked #1 in Entrepreneurship.

These specialty rankings are usually completely arbitrary anyway. Look at the schools ranked highest in "International Business." :roll:
Director
Director
Schools: Oxford'10
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: best programs for entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 08:33
Also to add to RR's post, the Best school in the location you want to setup your venture makes the most sense. This way you can make connections with local PE/VC firms while still in school.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: best programs for entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 15:34
is starting a biz right out of an MBA program possible? what about all the b-school loans?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 327 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: best programs for entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2008, 11:32
second buffdaddy and river. If you want to consider VCs, definitely consider the location of your school as well as the general brand and entrepreneurship "atmosphere" at the school (meaning, do a lot of people try out entrepreneurial ventures for their internship or right out of school?) Remember, VCs and Startups generally have very limited recruiting budgets, and face time is VERY important for getting a job at the company you want to work for. Thus, it's much easier to drive to a company for coffee on a whim than to fly over during some long break to visit the company. That is one key reason why I picked Berkeley over Kellogg, simply because I wanted to work on the West Coast after school.

With that said, if you want West Coast, you can't beat Stanford, Berkeley-Haas, or UCLA-Anderson. For the East Coast, MIT and Harvard and maybe Wharton are tops. Kellogg and Chicago are both improving their entrepreneurship and VC programs dramatically, so you won't be in trouble if you end up there either :wink:.

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: best programs for entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2008, 16:25
How is working in VC industry different from working as technology consultant/manager in startup? Is the learning (eg venture creation, business development, evaluate business idea etc.) involved in these two fields the same? What I am trying to find out is what should be the realistic short term goal if somebody eventually wants to start his own venture in technology ?

Thanks for your responses.
Re: best programs for entrepreneurship   [#permalink] 11 Aug 2008, 16:25