Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 02:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
32 KUDOS received
Followers: 268

Kudos [?]: 2305 [32] , given: 692

Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2012, 07:37
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I want to put together the best links fo theTOEFL iBT, for free.

These links come from my bookmarks, several months of study, different books purchased. In the end, these are the best at the moment.

I suggest you to practice the TOEFL as much as you can, dedicating a specific strategy to each section. In my opinion TOEFL should be handle in a different manner from GMAT because the TOEFL tests different skills. Only the reading part overlapps in somehow (for sure: if you are good at GMAT/RC then your proficiency in TOEFL/RC will be at least in the range of 27).

Nevertheless, I suggest to put a major stress (this is not imply that you will do only these parts, neglecting the other two, but what I'm saying is to do a major emphasis on the first two, listed here - Speaking and Writing Section; of course during the test they wiil be the last two sections) on Speaking and Writing for two simple reasons: are the tougher of the entire exam and because they come later during the exam; in that way, you will be prepared already for these two sections when you - maybe, but I'm pretty sure - are already tired and without concentration, gaining in score.

General TOEFL Resources

OFFICIAL GUIDE FROM ETS - THE FIRST RESOURCE FOR YOUR PREPARATION

The kindle version of this guide came out without a useful link to download the content of CD-Rom of the paperback version. Amazon fixed it after I bought the kindle version. Now the download link can be find at the bottom (last ppage) of the kindle.

OFFICIAL ETS TOEFL iBT Resources

SPEAKING PRACTICE

Also refer to our sticky post here on GMATClub
Find a partner and improve your Speaking score! GMATClub

WRITING PRACTICE

How to rate an essay GMATClub
Academic Writing: the Critical Evaluation Essay GMATClub

READING PRACTICE

LISTENING PRACTICE

TOEFLiBT_TESTS

TOEFL iBT - YouTUBE Channels

Bee English Dictionary

EngVid - Free Grammar Lessons for beginner, intermadiate and advanced level Students

Miscellaneous

(Free, Ready-to-Print EFL/ESL Lesson Plans on Current Events / English News Lessons)

This is a video introduction about what you need, in terms of skills and structure, for the TOEFL iBT test.

Attachments

Writing_practice_test_1_IELTS_Academic.rar [59.81 KiB]
Downloaded 338 times

To download please login or register as a user

TOEFL_Overview.part3.rar [3.21 MiB]
Downloaded 357 times

TOEFL_Overview.part2.rar [3.91 MiB]
Downloaded 314 times

TOEFL_Overview.part1.rar [3.91 MiB]
Downloaded 386 times

TOEFL_iBT_Practice_reading.rar [390.96 KiB]
Downloaded 446 times

TOEFL_Tips.pdf [3.59 MiB]
Downloaded 496 times

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 2305 [3] , given: 692

Re: Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2013, 10:52
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 82

Re: Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2013, 08:41
Carcass ... My RC is going realy bad .. except above links..is there any other site where i can get good rc online?

Bole So Nehal.. Sat Siri Akal.. Waheguru ji help me to get 700+ score !

Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 2305 [0], given: 692

Re: Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2013, 08:56
Expert's post
sanjoo wrote:
Carcass ... My RC is going realy bad .. except above links..is there any other site where i can get good rc online?

I think you asked to yourself the wrong question.

I mean these are the best links on the net (really) I'm not kidding but the problem or the real question is not: carcass do you have other 10/100 links to improve ?? but rather what can I do to improve my RC skills in general??

To foster our RC skills (in general and also for Toefl and Gmat) is a long process. there is no a magic formula for this. Moreover,, this is the reason why RC section of the GMAT is the most difficult part to improve in a relative short of time.

The only method to improve is to read books (I do not have enough time for this at the moment, though is one of my favourite thing to do) or for instance each day to read at least an half an hour the economist the new yorker the atlantic (one of my favourite) smithsonian and so on......good reading and at the same time try to undrstand what these lectures try to say or communicate.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 82

Re: Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 05:29
ok carcas. Thanks for reply.

actually i have started reading WSJ, economist, NYT. but still i could not have that much grip on RC.

well i l try my best to get grip on the RC.

Bole So Nehal.. Sat Siri Akal.. Waheguru ji help me to get 700+ score !

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 416 [0], given: 243

Premium Member
Re: Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2013, 07:50
Gr8 stuff , topic bookmarked

How to CHOOSE your Business School
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources such as 1000 series.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 2305 [1] , given: 692

Re: Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 16:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2013, 04:38
This is my 1st post here & i'm waking up from slumber :sleeping: to Thank you.
Thanks a ton for your wonderful post carcass :thumbup: :punk !!!

For some unexplainable reasons i had only 5 days between GMAT & TOEFL, i dint even know the format of TOEFL :shock:
I simply followed/read each and every link posted by you and i think they are more than enough to tackle TOEFL.

Today I received my score, got 106(Reading:27 || Listening:27 || Speaking:24 || Writing:28).
The bad score in Speaking can be attributed to lack of practice & disturbance in the test center. I was last to start the speaking section and it was difficult to concentrate with 5 people screaming & the instructor asking them to lower their voice.

Since TOEFL is a pass/fail exam & i meet the TOEFL requirements of my target schools, i'm happy :beer with the score if not elated .
Expert Post

Re: Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2013, 08:46
Expert's post
Expert Post

Re: Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 03:33
Expert's post
Intern
Intern
Tin: Phan
WE: Business Development (Insurance)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2013, 04:05
Awesome source. kudo to carcass.
Cheers,
Tin
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2013, 23:04
Thank you very much for all these useful links (pity there are so many I'm not even sure I'll have the time to get through all of them!!) :)
Intern
Intern

Re: Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2013, 19:31
carcass,

Your post looks amazing, I planned to take TOEFL on November. I need at least 26 for speaking and 24 for the rest but honestly I doubt if I could reach my goal. I'm not confident enough and not linguistically ready as well, specially in speaking section I tend to speak so slow which is natural to me even in normal circumstances and had a hard time organizing and expressing my thought. Any other resource to improve my speaking skills?

Last edited by maypt on 29 Aug 2013, 23:01, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Re: Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2013, 21:38
Hey :)
I've got a HUUUUUUGE problem with the speaking section as well (my problem is however not speaking slowly but rather fast and above all, the fact that I can't manage to keep track of time when I want to mention everything and I always go beyond the allotted time by about 3 seconds... very frustrating :x ...)
Anyway, here's a good website that has so far helped me a lot in organising my ideas and to follow a solid structure in my speech :
search "english-itutor TOEFL_Speaking_Mentor" on Google and look for Jason Renshaw (can't post urls before I've got 5 posts on this forum....)
Intern
Intern

Re: Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2013, 23:05
watiss wrote:
Hey :)
I've got a HUUUUUUGE problem with the speaking section as well (my problem is however not speaking slowly but rather fast and above all, the fact that I can't manage to keep track of time when I want to mention everything and I always go beyond the allotted time by about 3 seconds... very frustrating :x ...)
Anyway, here's a good website that has so far helped me a lot in organising my ideas and to follow a solid structure in my speech :
search "english-itutor TOEFL_Speaking_Mentor" on Google and look for Jason Renshaw (can't post urls before I've got 5 posts on this forum....)

Hey there,

Thanks for giving the website!
Have you taken the Toefl exam? So what's your score in speaking section if you don't mind?
Intern
Intern

Re: Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2013, 03:24
No, I'll be passing it soon (GREAT stress pressure :| ) So I try to work equally on each section, but the speaking is really the most difficult part so I look for good websites and good tips for that section particularly, that's why I found the one I recommended you 'cause perosnnally I fell that I can handle the subjects a little bit better now than before.. but after all, maybe it comes from practice... I'd say the most important thing is to practice, really.. even though it can become a bit tiring after a while :s
And oh, by the way, I just heard that there's a 10-session class included owth the price of the registration. Is that true?
Intern
Intern

Re: Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2013, 08:25
watiss wrote:
No, I'll be passing it soon (GREAT stress pressure :| ) So I try to work equally on each section, but the speaking is really the most difficult part so I look for good websites and good tips for that section particularly, that's why I found the one I recommended you 'cause perosnnally I fell that I can handle the subjects a little bit better now than before.. but after all, maybe it comes from practice... I'd say the most important thing is to practice, really.. even though it can become a bit tiring after a while :s
And oh, by the way, I just heard that there's a 10-session class included owth the price of the registration. Is that true?

You mean free 10- session class? I haven't heard about that. Well, if it's true then I wish I can avail it. And about the exam,why not give it a try? Because you sounds good and I'm pretty sure you've been through a lot of practice already. Am I right? Me? Not really. Allotting time for speaking practice really sucks since I work for a living now and so busy in many things like taking care of my baby and so on. I wonder if looking for speaking partners online would help?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS '17

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2013, 09:49
This post received
KUDOS
Great resources.

I took my TOEFL 2 weeks ago and got 118 (R 29, L 29, S 30, W 30). I would strongly recommend using videos uploaded by Notefull on youtube regarding speaking and writing.

In speaking part, they will provide you with structures to use during each question. They are extremely helpful for people who find it hard to speak for the whole time required or struggle to say everything in time. For my practice I tried to do couple of full tests using the structures explained by Notefull. For first 1-2 tests I prepared the blank sheets with structures for each question prior to starting the test. Afterwards, I started the test and tried to put down the structures on paper before the recording started.

Regarding writing, Notefull will help you take notes in Q1 and understand what is scored there. I literally wrote down everything from the listening and then used everything for the reply. For Q2, I would also recommend using findscore (their website is the name and dot com, I cannot use urls in my posts yet...) This website will give you sample score based on statistics. You can practice using linking words, writing longer sentences etc.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2013, 08:05
Hi all
i want a study partner for toefl..m going to take it in dec...my skype id is priya.toefl1
Expert Post

Re: Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2013, 07:01
Expert's post
Re: Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT   [#permalink] 30 Dec 2013, 07:01