Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 06:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Best schools for a 1 year MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Best schools for a 1 year MBA [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2008, 20:09
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi all, I have been searchnig the internet to find the best schools for a 1 year MBA. but barring a few sites, there is really not so much info. Of all, I see INSEAD and IMD as schools with some promise, does anyone know better?
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 0

Re: Best schools for a 1 year MBA [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2008, 20:58
You can add LBS, IIMs, and ISB into the list ;-).
Intern
Intern

Re: Best schools for a 1 year MBA [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2008, 00:36
thanks!!! I was aware of ISB, but I did not know IIMs have a one year MBA rogram as well...I checked their site, only to find out I will be missing the deadline for the next year program as Iam taknig the GMAT on 16th Aug. Of the IIMs, IIM A looks good, IIM B has not yet announced it in a formal way though the program is in the offing....IIM C somehow did not impress...but I may be wrong.... :P
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Best schools for a 1 year MBA [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2008, 00:07
In the US Kellogg, Columbia and Cornel offer a year 1 accelerated MBA.

In Canada check out the Ivey MBA.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: St. Gallen '09
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 5

Re: Best schools for a 1 year MBA [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2008, 04:35
kumarudayuday wrote:
Hi all, I have been searchnig the internet to find the best schools for a 1 year MBA. but barring a few sites, there is really not so much info. Of all, I see INSEAD and IMD as schools with some promise, does anyone know better?

Europe dominates the 1 year (~ 12 months) full-time MBA market. Bar none, the best are INSEAD and IMD as you have pointed out. I would argue that IE, Cambridge, and Oxford don't trail too far behind.

The lesser-known schools, but NOT necessarily inferior quality programs are (and actually some of these schools are very prestigious schools):

SDA Bocconi, Lancaster, Warwick, Cranfield, Imperial (Tanaka), City (Cass), Strathclyde, Bradford/TiasNimbas/Tilburg, Leeds, Edinburgh,...and there are several others still. Oh, and of course we cannot forget St. Gallen :)

NOTE: I have not include the schools that offer 15-18 month programs, because these aren't true ~ 1 year programs. Schools that fit into this category include LBS, HEC, RSM, and Manchester.

I think it would be very hard to compare the quality amongst the non-INSEAD/IMD schools. Most of what you learn about business is all the same, but of course the teachers and elective options make the biggest difference. One might suppose that the non-INSEAD/IMD schools have inferior quality teachers, simply because INSEAD/IMD can afford the "best ones money can buy." However, I would argue that this is a very subjective measure. There are some high-quality professors at all of these schools that simply prefer working at them over the higher-ranked schools, despite the more attractive salaries. Furthermore, some schools are known for their research, entrepreneurship or finance programs better than the others. Bottom line, every school has their strengths and weaknesses, but some more and/or less than others.

It is of critical importance that you thoroughly research the schools that interest you and determine which one has the best fit for your MBA needs, career plans, and personal circumstances.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Best schools for a 1 year MBA [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2008, 17:31
This post received
KUDOS
check this site.. it lists all the mba programs at the top b schools in the US, provides lots of details too:

http://www.topgradprograms.com/browse/s ... B&said=149
Intern
Intern

Re: Best schools for a 1 year MBA [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2008, 18:10
actually a better link on that site is:

http://www.topgradprograms.com/search/r ... e-year+MBA

comes up with some interesting results: Cornell has a 12-month program; Kellogg..
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 0

Re: Best schools for a 1 year MBA [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2008, 06:04
INSEAD. By far.

But then I'm probably biased, heh :)

http://onwardtomba.blogspot.com - MBA, GMAT, INSEAD - the journey.
My 7 GMAT Quant Strategies/Trap
My GMAT Debrief

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 53 [3] , given: 0

Re: Best schools for a 1 year MBA [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2008, 02:47
This post received
KUDOS
Check this out..

Code:
http://www.forbes.com/2005/08/16/best-business-schools-list-cz_05mba_land.html

Forbes is always a trusted source.
Current Student
Schools: Ross Class of 2012
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 20

Re: Best schools for a 1 year MBA [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2009, 03:21
Notre Dame also has a 1 year program. Not exactly the most prestigious MBA program, but overall the school's brand carries a lot of weight, especially in the Midwest.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 702 [0], given: 5

Re: Best schools for a 1 year MBA [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2009, 16:07
If you want to stay in the US I think Kellogg has the strongest rep for their 1Y program. Columbia's is excellent too and Cornell is another great option. I wouldn't be surprised to see other schools adding 1Y programs though, they make more money since they have students for 12 months instead of 9 months of the year and often don't require much in the way of expanding facilities and employees if they just reduce the number of 2Y spots.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: St. Gallen '09
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 5

Re: Best schools for a 1 year MBA [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2009, 08:56
WSJ just came out with a 1-year MBA ranking:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125191359248380317.html
Re: Best schools for a 1 year MBA   [#permalink] 20 Sep 2009, 08:56