Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 04:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Best Sources for CR & RC

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Schools: Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 396 [0], given: 241

Best Sources for CR & RC [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 10:34
I would like to know the feedback of GMAT Experts regarding the best sources for:-
Note :- Kindly exclude OG & Verbal guides.
-Kindly rate the content as either 700+, 600-700, or Below 600 to maintain consistency
-Kindly mention the sources separately for each of the 4 questions.

1) Best Sources for CR preparation (Max 2 sources)
2) Best Sources (in terms of Quality questions that closely resemble real GMAT questions) for CR Practice questions (Max 2 sources)

3) Best Sources for RC preparation (Max 2 sources)
4) Best Sources (in terms of Quality questions that closely resemble real GMAT questions) for RC practice questions (Max 2 sources)

Waiting for active participation of ALL GMAT Experts.

Fame
Attachments

Sample Table.PNG
Sample Table.PNG [ 8.23 KiB | Viewed 812 times ]

If you like my Question/Explanation or the contribution, Kindly appreciate by pressing KUDOS.
Kudos always maximizes GMATCLUB worth
-Game Theory

If you have any question regarding my post, kindly pm me or else I won't be able to reply

Last edited by fameatop on 19 Feb 2013, 11:14, edited 2 times in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 539

Kudos [?]: 2278 [2] , given: 31

Re: Best Sources for CR & RC [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 13:54
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
fameatop wrote:
I would like to know the feedback of GMAT Experts regarding the best sources for:-
-Kindly rate the content as either 700+, 600-700, or Below 600 to maintain consistency

2) Best Sources (in terms of Quality questions that closely resemble real GMAT questions) for CR Practice questions (Max 2 sources)

4) Best Sources (in terms of Quality questions that closely resemble real GMAT questions) for RC practice questions (Max 2 sources)

Fame

Fame,

With all that rating in separate categories, you are asking for a level of picayune specificity that, in my view, transcends any useful preparation. It's a left-brain fantasy that you can have a better idea how to achieve success by having a more maniacally detailed map of the terrain. Success on the GMAT, like success in many area of the business world and of life in general, is largely holistic, involving at least as much right-brain as left. I am going to ignore this part of the question.

First, I am going share this post:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/best-gmat- ... rces-2013/

Overall, I would say the two sources I would recommend most highly for all GMAT questions, all categories and difficulty levels, are MGMAT and Magoosh. I have seen many truly atrocious questions from other prep sources. A dirty secret is --- many GMAT prep sources contract out with third parties for question creation --- that is, they don't make their own questions, and they don't have in place a process for quality assurance and ongoing critique. I know nothing about MGMAT's internal process, but I know they have a large collection of folks who know a ton about the GMAT, and they write their own questions ---- these questions are consistently good, so they must have some amazing process in place. At Magoosh, we write our own questions, subjecting them to a rigorous review process before release, and then monitoring the quality of each question once it is released. Most GMAT prep sources do not put this level of effort into question quality ---- and, frankly, it shows.

You said, "excluding OG", but I would hasten to point out ---- for higher level CR practice, I would strongly recommend the LSAT OG and any official material from the LSAT. The LSAT is also not a bad source for further RC practice. The GRE OG would be another excellent source for RC --- GRE RC is at least as hard, if not a little harder, than GMAT RC.

For both of these questions, also, I think some of the best preparation has nothing to do with test prep material. If you are committed to becoming an CR and/or RC expert, then it is sheer folly not to read The Economist magazine cover-to-cover every week, as well as substantial portions of the Wall Street Journal each day. Ultimately, the very reason the GMAT is testing stuff like CR & RC is because you are going to have to make sense of the facts & arguments presented in sources such as these. I think all this worry about 600-level vs. 700-level questions is barking up the wrong tree. Throw yourself into wrestling with real world political & economic issues in all their complexity and messiness. If you can get to the point that you see to the core of arguments in that context, then the GMAT CR would be a cakewalk by comparison.

That's my 2¢
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Stanford '16 (A)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 46

Re: Best Sources for CR & RC [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2013, 20:16
This post received
KUDOS
BM wrote:
Concerning guidebooks, the Powerscore CR Bible is a reliable option. I'm not sure whether a RC guidebook would be of much help, however. As for questions, LSAT question banks are extremely helpful for RC practice. LSAT RC passages are typically more complex and longer than their GMAT counterparts. LSAT is also helpful for LR (CR) practice, but some question types will not be tested on the GMAT.

See here for more information: lsat-books-for-gmat-verbal-prep-97191.html

Warning, I'm actually relatively strong in verbal. However, my problem is that my brain has to be conditioned for it.

I'm using LSAT books for CR and Reading Comprehension and I highly recommend it for practice before wading in the GMAT CR, RC. As long as you are somewhat familiar with the CR forms that the GMAT tests on, you can ignore the LSAT questions that bare no resemblance.

RC for the LSAT is great for stamina. Although they are longer than what you'd face on the GMAT, it's still great practice trying to sort information/arguments. I would honestly say that for RC, reading Scientific American has helped me a ton since I'm not familiar with science/technical writing.

I feel like the LSAT is often overlooked as a source, quite frankly.
Expert Post
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 12

Re: Best Sources for CR & SC [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 10:47
Expert's post
Hi,

If I had to pick two sources for questions outside of the Official Guide and the Verbal Review:

1. GMAT Paper Tests

2. Question Pack 1

I know that you're asking for only two BUT the GMAT Prep Docs would be in third place and the 10 FLTs in fourth. I would exhaust all of this before even considering "simulated" verbal questions. If you exhaust the above I would go for LSAT Critical Reasoning before going to any "simulated" questions. If you are desperate for SC practice then you can use the SAT (it is easier so not much help if you are already doing well in this section). I have never had to use any other questions besides the above mentioned for my own preparation or for the preparation of any of my students. Of course, YMMV. I hope that this is helpful!

Happy Studies,

HG.

"It is a curious property of research activity that after the problem has been solved the solution seems obvious. This is true not only for those who have not previously been acquainted with the problem, but also for those who have worked over it for years." -Dr. Edwin Land

GMAT Sample Questions to assess your GMAT Quant.

If you found my post useful KUDOS are much appreciated.

IMPROVE YOUR READING COMPREHENSION with the ECONOMIST READING COMPREHENSION CHALLENGE:

Here is the first set along with some strategies for approaching this work: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-economist-reading-comprehension-challenge-151479.html

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 432

Premium Member
Re: Best Sources for CR & RC [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 15:14
Expert's post
Concerning guidebooks, the Powerscore CR Bible is a reliable option. I'm not sure whether a RC guidebook would be of much help, however. As for questions, LSAT question banks are extremely helpful for RC practice. LSAT RC passages are typically more complex and longer than their GMAT counterparts. LSAT is also helpful for LR (CR) practice, but some question types will not be tested on the GMAT.

See here for more information: lsat-books-for-gmat-verbal-prep-97191.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1156

Kudos [?]: 5374 [0], given: 165

Re: Best Sources for CR & RC [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2013, 19:52
Expert's post
fameatop wrote:

Fame

Responding to a pm:

What you are trying to do here isn't very practical, Fame. Just like the adcom doesn't rank the applicants but instead pools them into buckets of accepted, waitlisted and not accepted, one cannot rank the prep sources but only pool them into useful/not useful, depending on one's own opinion. Mind you, due to its very nature, this exercise itself is very subjective because we all have different frames of reference and what I may say is suitable, you may not.

Still, if you are someone who believes that majority is right, people who have worked on multiple sources could give their opinion and you could use it to chalk your future plan. I don't think that experts of particular prep companies can help you much in this regard since we don't carry the prep books of our competitors; well, at least I have no books of Kaplan/Knewton/MGMAT/... to compare them with each other and arrive at a 'winner' in my opinion. So I will be of very little help in what you set out to do.

The truth is that the best sources for you will depend on your individual requirement. I have known people to need nothing more than a few days with OG. Then there are others who buy every book in the market. Since I don't know what it is that you are looking for, I am hardly in a position to advise.

What I can do is tell you what I think about the Veritas RC and CR books. I think they are excellent. They are concise and clear on the theory, are very to-the-point, highlight the things you must keep in mind, help you learn how to start in the right direction and also help you develop your own individual strategy. Now the point is that if you are not very confident of your fundamentals in CR, the books will be very useful. They will lay down clear cut fundamentals to help you train your mind to the way CR works. If you know exactly what it is that you have to do and are just looking for some 750+ level practice questions, the books will have limited usage for you. The books also have tons of very good practice questions. I especially like the practice questions of the RC book since they are some of the toughest and smartest GMAT-style RC passages that I have seen. You can yourself take a look inside the books at amazon.com.
(I must inform you here that the new edition will be out on amazon in a few days (it is already out on our website) and that is available only as a full set. Individual books are still available on amazon but they are not of this latest edition.)

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: ISB '15
GPA: 3.49
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 41

Re: Best Sources for CR & RC [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 00:06
fameatop wrote:

Fame

Hi,

You wont be requiring any other resource to understand the different CR question types and common reasoning errors.

- Undoubtedly CR questions from Gmat Prep Question Pack.
    - Veritas Prep CR book has good amount of practice CR problems.

- Knewton's lessons on Reading comprehension (not the on demand videos) that deals with different RC question types. very very detailed and excellent.
    - Veritas prep reading comprehension book - outlines a good RC reading strategy.

- OG 12 or 13 / Gmatprep RC collection / Gmat prep Question pack (you can select only RC questions such that a passage and all its corresponding questions come in an order and more RC passages follow then on-wards.)
    - Veritas prep RC book also has 18 - 20 very good RC passages for practice.
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 432

Premium Member
Re: Best Sources for CR & RC [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 12:05
Expert's post
abk wrote:
Warning, I'm actually relatively strong in verbal. However, my problem is that my brain has to be conditioned for it.

I'm using LSAT books for CR and Reading Comprehension and I highly recommend it for practice before wading in the GMAT CR, RC. As long as you are somewhat familiar with the CR forms that the GMAT tests on, you can ignore the LSAT questions that bare no resemblance.

RC for the LSAT is great for stamina. Although they are longer than what you'd face on the GMAT, it's still great practice trying to sort information/arguments. I would honestly say that for RC, reading Scientific American has helped me a ton since I'm not familiar with science/technical writing.

I feel like the LSAT is often overlooked as a source, quite frankly.

Excellent follow-up to my post, abk! I'm basically in full agreement with you here. Some, though, feel that covering LSAT LR concepts in their entirety, while arguably overkill for GMAT purposes, provides a more complete and different perspective on CR.

The only other comment that I can make at the moment relates to the first sentence of your reply. I, too, was very strong in verbal. I almost never missed an RC or CR question, and eventually reached about 90 percent accuracy for SC. I was good - and I knew it. That, however, partially led to my disappointing score of 44V for verbal. That's actually a solid performance, but I should have done better. Two things, I think, held me back: (1) test fatigue and (2) a passive attitude toward verbal. By the time you reach verbal on the real test, exhaustion hits. And despite my preaching on the GMATClub forums to always avoid passive study habits, I overestimated my verbal ability while tired and under pressure. I was, of course, aware of such a danger beforehand, but CAT practices cannot fully replicate what one experiences during the real test. That's the thing about taking a test for real: it's real! In hindsight, I should not have been so comfortable in my abilities. Confident, yes. But not as comfortable.

I'm not accusing anyone here of having similar problems, but I thought that recounting my own experience might be of some use here.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Best Sources for CR & RC   [#permalink] 26 Feb 2013, 12:05