Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 14:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Best Strategies for DS?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: Jones '15 (I)
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Best Strategies for DS? [#permalink] New post 20 May 2012, 02:56
Guys,
I am new to this forum. I have been studyin for the GMAT for a few weeks now. I was going through OG12 and got around 10 out of 230 wrong in the PS but i got 40 wrong out of 174 in the DS. Is there a good approach to solve DS questions?
I feel like I'm kinda jumping the gun on some of these questions.
MGMAT doesnt have a whole book or section dedicated to it. Just wondering where I stand and if anyone has any advice on what I could do to improve my score, I would greatly appreciate any help.
Also where do you guys think I stand at this stage?
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 05-30-2012
GPA: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: Best Strategies for DS? [#permalink] New post 20 May 2012, 04:12
Some helpful tips that I have found work wonders:

1. Assume fractions, negatives and zero unless told otherwise.
2. Break down stem into a simple form
3. Attack one statement at a time, starting with the easiest stem
Manager
Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 14

Re: Best Strategies for DS? [#permalink] New post 22 May 2012, 10:57
priyank24 wrote:
Guys,
I am new to this forum. I have been studyin for the GMAT for a few weeks now. I was going through OG12 and got around 10 out of 230 wrong in the PS but i got 40 wrong out of 174 in the DS. Is there a good approach to solve DS questions?
I feel like I'm kinda jumping the gun on some of these questions.
MGMAT doesnt have a whole book or section dedicated to it. Just wondering where I stand and if anyone has any advice on what I could do to improve my score, I would greatly appreciate any help.
Also where do you guys think I stand at this stage?

Are you making the mistake of quickly running through the problems? So you understand why did you did a problem wrong before moving on to the next?

I see this as a very common problem with people using OG. Are you spending enough time EVEN on problems that you attempt correctly? Maybe there lies the trick. It is not always true that the reason you marked an answer right is the right reason. In addition, reading each and every description in the OG helps you discover something new that you didn't know.

These are some of the general tips. Specific to DS:
1. Read each statement in isolation. When eliminating one and moving to second, read the problem statement again along with the second statement and ignoring the first. Sometimes you tend to mix up information you already know from the first and that causes the error.

2. "No" is also an answer. If it is asked "is x > 0?" and by using both statements individually or combining the two, you find out that you cannot find the exact value of x, but you get an idea that x is < -2 for sure. Then you have actually got the answer. Question was "is x > 0?", answer is "No". This is the next most common error.

Hope this helps.

Shouvik
http://www.Edvento.com
admin@edvento.com

Re: Best Strategies for DS?   [#permalink] 22 May 2012, 10:57