Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 21:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

best strategy for getting Phd finance

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

best strategy for getting Phd finance [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2011, 21:36
hi all
My profile is as follows:
my undergraduate GPA is 3.04/4 in finance; tehran university of iran(i think my university doesnt have reputation in world)
my graduate GPA is 3.54/4 in finance; tehran university of iran
Completed level 1,2 CFA exam,and level 1 FRM exam

first of all I want to know
1.what is best strategy for increase my profile for getting admission of finance phd in 200 top universities?
2.what range my GMAT score should be for getting admission from these univesities?(universities of US and Canada)

i am not native,i am so aorry about my bad grammer :oops:
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: best strategy for getting Phd finance [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2011, 13:08
Expert's post
PhD programs like to see a research history and interst, so to the extent you can demonstrate a working interest in some area of finance, that would help. Grades will matter, so the fact that your university is not known may not help, but it's all in how you massage the issue. You should definitely aim to get a 700+ on the GMAT which could help make up for what you may think you lack in academics. Also, if you can target schools where there are a concentration of professors who specialize in the area of research you are interested in, it may help find favor with them, since you will be working under existing facutly to complete the degree and help with their research as you conduct your own.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: best strategy for getting Phd finance [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2011, 21:03
Do you agree with this idea that one of my friends told me?!!!(he study in university of alberta)

I have found false idea in applicants of Finance.
First of all, none of my classmate, even top one with profound background in Finance, has not any paper. Instead their background in economic or math is deep enough.
Secondly, even our best profs have problem to submit a paper in a journal, also it takes more than a year to get acceptance from a journal and another year to be published, moreover another one year is dedicated to write a paper. So that at least 2 or 3 years needed to publish a paper.
Thirdly, no one anticipate a masters student with accepted journal.
In the end I should add, supposed you have published in so called third tier journal(usually second and first tier will not publish your paper 100%), it both lack the high-class standard and fitness to academic staff in that university.
Again, and again, If anyone like to be admitted from top university. Should work on his/her GMAT score, TOEFL. and the best idea is to have a MA of economic from a North American Univerity , especially in USA. Also have a naive idea in mind to work on in future will be beneficial
The best idea is to have a methodology and some idea about data set in mind.
Just a little literature review will be helpful. But also have this point in back of your mind that less will be found in previous works about innovative research ideas
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, Oxford
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: best strategy for getting Phd finance [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2011, 21:27
@bryantmichaels

is GMAT needed all PHD programs ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, Oxford
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: best strategy for getting Phd finance [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2011, 21:30
@danghara

You didnt mention about your work experience...in case you have started working yet....you need to come with some solid interest in any specific area...finance is a big field and covers almost 6-7 widely different areas

CFA/FRM will surely help your case and you can nit a good story around
Re: best strategy for getting Phd finance   [#permalink] 14 Jun 2011, 21:30