Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:56 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6508 [2]
Given Kudos: 100
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72874 [3]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4074 [2]
Given Kudos: 18
Name: Ronak Amin
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72874 [1]
Send PM
Re: Best time of the day to take the GMAT test which time better [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Also FYI - thought this would be relevant to this discussion: gmat-testing-center-physical-environment-80167.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [1]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Foster (I)
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V24
GPA: 3.74
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
While reading for GMAT, I came across a book called Thinking, Fast and Slow. It discusses an effect called priming. If you keep your lips straight or curved up as if you are smiling, you will do positive things (such as, rate a movie higher). Our brains can be primed to turn to one direction.

For this reason, try to keep a positive and happy attitude through out the test. Keep a little bit of time in the morning to do a few questions (priming). i.e. Don't schedule the test too early in the morning, thus not allowing yourself to have a relaxed start.

Slightly off topic, but relevant nonetheless.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Which time of the day is better? [#permalink]
I would advise taking the earliest time. That would minimize the time you have to get worried and stressed out on the day of the test.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I would go with the 10am slot. The longer you wait to sit for the exam, the more nervous you will get..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 866 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
 Q49  V39
My first exam I did an 8am time slot. I thought this would be good for me because I focus best in the morning and did all my practice exams in the morning. However, since my test center was pretty far away, I got up at 5:30am (plenty of sleep the night before) to take the test. Overall I was still a little tired and don't suggest too early a time.

10am sounds reasonable but I'd probably get hungry in between then. So I'd eat a big breakfast and have a small snack in the break. Good luck.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72874 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Reading through again, my suggestion would be - don't do anything out of ordinary. If you have never eaten beans for breakfast - don't try it the day of the GMAT. Actually, even if you usually eat beans for breakfast - don't eat them the day of the GMAT :wink:

My test was at 9 AM and I came 30 mins early, but the test center was closed and I had to wait in the lobby of the office building for the test representative to sign me (and others) in and take to the test room location. A bit annoying and unnerving when you are waiting to take the GMAT....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6508 [0]
 Q44  V38
Send PM
great input guys!
I had heard somewhere that ur brain takes 3 hrs from the time you get up to get into fully functioning mode...so if one gets up at 8 and thinks by 9 he'll be on high alert its actually not true!
Will sit for the first slot at 10A.m ..my lunch time AND my 1hr snooze time fall in between on regular days :wink: .so the first thing i guess is making sure im awake during this 4 hr period regularly or im sure my body will go in nap mode on D-Day!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Concentration: International Business , Marketing
 Q48  V37
WE 1: IT Services and Product Development
Send PM
best time to take the test ? [#permalink]
might seem like a trivial issue but what do you guys think is the best time to take the actual test ?

i have 3 options at the New Delhi,India centre 10 AM , 1 PM and 5 PM .

i study the entire night and sleep till noon (i have taken a career break) . would 5 PM suit me better as a timing for the test ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6508 [0]
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Hey i had the same issue and went for 10AM slot..
reason?Might sound trivial to you guys but imp to me..i found out that the centre had exactly THREE computers..the middle one being right in front of the A/C!Woul'nt want to be caught dead on that seat for 4 hrs.!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I'm planning to take the exam May 25th (day before I leave for Europe). I'm from New York around the city but the only options I found were either at 8am or 3pm? Does anyone know if I can call the test centers up for additional options or if 8 am is a good time to take the test? Any advice would work well. I took it once before at noon which I did get a little tired at the end.

Run
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Its always better to be a little hungry when taking tests (not famished). When your hungry the brain goes into a kind of survival mode that allows better processing. This was told to me by a friend doing research at ucsf medical school, her studies were finding that being hungry or full had statistically significant effects on brain processing speed and ability. She was thinking that this was part of the reason that a lot of people perform better in the morning.

Eat a very light breakfast and good luck
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72874 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
evangreen wrote:
Its always better to be a little hungry when taking tests (not famished). When your hungry the brain goes into a kind of survival mode that allows better processing. This was told to me by a friend doing research at ucsf medical school, her studies were finding that being hungry or full had statistically significant effects on brain processing speed and ability. She was thinking that this was part of the reason that a lot of people perform better in the morning.

Eat a very light breakfast and good luck

I am not sure about medical/other reasons, but people are often most productive in the morning (at least I am), not sure if 8 AM is a great time, but probably better than 3....
Wake up early (same time as you would on the test day) for a few days to get used to waking up at this hour if you are not. Also a good idea is to take a test the day before (any practice test with 2 essays) to understand how how it will feel ;)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
I don't think there is a perfect time to take the GMAT. You get there too early and you're still sleepy. You get at 10am and you are hungry at 12. You get at 2pm and you are sluggish after lunch (plus lot's of unexpected things can happen to you earlier that day). Had it been a shorter test, then you could probably try to devise a strategy. But in case of GMAT I doubt it. It's all a matter of trade-offs.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
bb, thanks for the the link. Really useful.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 11-15-2011
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
wow great stuff....I just signed up for my exam. They only had 8am and 9.45am. I figured 8am would be wayyy too early for me. 9.45 it is....Lets hope this is the first and last time that i have to take the GMAT. :D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
I'm also in favor of the morning test....signed up for 9am. Figure I can get a good breakfast in that will hopefully fuel me to a 700+ score.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
My first GMAT attempt was at 2pm, the only slot available on the day I wanted. I thought that was fine and dandy, except I'm usually a very early riser. I had hooouurs to stress out about the test. I got so nervous that whatever I tried to eat for breakfast and lunch made me a little nauseated. My second attempt is going to be at 10:30am! I figured 8am would be too early since I have to fight through LA traffic to get to the testing center. :) Whatever time you feel the most productive and energetic is the best time to take the exam.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2