Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 05:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Best Time to Visit School and Making the Most out of it

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.73
WE: Research (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Best Time to Visit School and Making the Most out of it [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2010, 12:11
Applying for the class of 2012, so getting ready to do research and school tours. What is the best time usually to visit to get the most experience in getting to know the school, students etc

Most program usually start in September (I'm looking into CBS, NYC + Wharton), but i've heard arguments to visit in March-April after students have gotten interviews n job offers and such to get an idea how the recruiting environment is.

Any truth to that statement? Thanks

Also, should I be doing some inital research b4 going (whens deadline, composition of student body etc

Just trying to make the most out of it, so any additional tips would be great
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 47

Re: Best Time to Visit School and Making the Most out of it [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2010, 12:32
Take the GMAT soon until it adds an additional part and than you can think where to apply
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.73
WE: Research (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Best Time to Visit School and Making the Most out of it [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2010, 12:47
Pavle wrote:
Take the GMAT soon until it adds an additional part and than you can think where to apply

I already made up my mind about what type of schools to get into (top 10 with focus on getting to PE field) and what GMAT range i need to get (720+). If I don't get in, I can wait till next time since I'm still young (25 yld)

I'm starting to study my GMAT now, but at the same time researching into schools.
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Best Time to Visit School and Making the Most out of it [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2010, 15:27
Expert's post
If you are planning on applying in 2012, you should wait until things settle down a bit. This way you can get a good feel for the MBA program. I don't know how much one-on-one time or if you can get one-on-one time with current students. There may be a panel style discussion, so you'll probably get a better feel after the students have things settled a bit. Just make sure tours are still offered then.

If you want to go into PE, you need to have previous banking experience. Even then, I don't think PE recruit very much out of bschool, maybe at Wharton, but probably not at CBS or Stern. I believe for PE connections matters more than GMAT, and the GMAT quant score will matter more than overall score.

Diversity

Current Student
Schools: Schulich class of 2012
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 2

Re: Best Time to Visit School and Making the Most out of it [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 18:00
March is okay, but it's when their application process is winding down.

I'd almost recommend going in late September while you can remain fresh in their minds during the application process.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 6 years - Telecom

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Re: Best Time to Visit School and Making the Most out of it [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 21:49
asimov wrote:
If you are planning on applying in 2012, you should wait until things settle down a bit. This way you can get a good feel for the MBA program. I don't know how much one-on-one time or if you can get one-on-one time with current students. There may be a panel style discussion, so you'll probably get a better feel after the students have things settled a bit. Just make sure tours are still offered then.

If you want to go into PE, you need to have previous banking experience. Even then, I don't think PE recruit very much out of bschool, maybe at Wharton, but probably not at CBS or Stern. I believe for PE connections matters more than GMAT, and the GMAT quant score will matter more than overall score.

What type of banking experience do you need to go into PE?

If you say connections matter more for PE, would you also say there's really no difference between the top schools?

If you won't invest in yourself, why would anybody wants to invest in you?

Re: Best Time to Visit School and Making the Most out of it   [#permalink] 08 Sep 2010, 21:49