Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 04:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Best Use of Manhattan GMAT books

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
User avatar
Status: Three Down.
Joined: 09 Jun 2010
Posts: 1856
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 1395 [0], given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Best Use of Manhattan GMAT books [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 07:05
adalfu wrote:
I've only done this for the SC book...(I have the 3 Verbal books + Word Translation + Number Properties), but I find it quite helpful to put stickies on the sections that I know I'll have to go back to make references...

I also wrote on that book quite liberally, underlying key concepts and providing more comment/color to some sections that are lacking.

I think the best way to learn is to read the concepts and write them down on a notepad (summarize them as if you were creating a lecture plan), then re-read the raw material (or you can skip this step), and finally re-read your "lecture plan"... When studying for my financial designations (FRM, CAIA, CFA), that was pretty much my roadmap in terms of grasping concepts... but when it comes down to the actual exam, the most important thing was to practice as many problems as you can get a hold of, and review all the ones you get wrong.


I have the MGMAT books too, and I think that the key here is to keep a notebook with the most pertinent knowledge/strategies you've gained from working your way through each guide. This is useful especially if you have difficulty in remembering things you did a while ago. I agree with adalfu's strategy as well.

Do the practice problems at the end of each chapter, maybe?
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 538
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 46

Re: Best Use of Manhattan GMAT books [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 08:45
It's been about a month and I'm still working on the MGMAT guides. Wonder if I will have enough time to practice before my test.
_________________

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Dec 2009
Posts: 27
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Best Use of Manhattan GMAT books [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 08:54
Dawgie wrote:
It's been about a month and I'm still working on the MGMAT guides. Wonder if I will have enough time to practice before my test.


Depends when your test is. Make sure to do OG problems before your test. Maybe do every other problem and see where you start getting them wrong (since OG is in increasing difficulty). OG most closely resembles the real test, so you really should do OG problems.

Goodluck
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 538
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 46

Re: Best Use of Manhattan GMAT books [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 08:58
LoveTheGMAT wrote:
Dawgie wrote:
It's been about a month and I'm still working on the MGMAT guides. Wonder if I will have enough time to practice before my test.


Depends when your test is. Make sure to do OG problems before your test. Maybe do every other problem and see where you start getting them wrong (since OG is in increasing difficulty). OG most closely resembles the real test, so you really should do OG problems.

Goodluck

I still have until September 18th. I feel like going through these guides again may be helpful because 95% of those quant guides are new material for me. Would you recommend that I invest my time doing this or focus on OG problems?
_________________

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Dec 2009
Posts: 27
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Best Use of Manhattan GMAT books [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 09:06
Dawgie wrote:
I still have until September 18th. I feel like going through these guides again may be helpful because 95% of those quant guides are new material for me. Would you recommend that I invest my time doing this or focus on OG problems?


Well you do have time. I would suggest finishing Manhattan Guides in next 3 weeks (end of July) and then do OG problems in August and review in September. If you still have a lot of Manhattan to do, then read the lesson and do every other problem from In Action problem set to speed up. Read the lessons carefully though, don't just rush through the readings.

Use both OG and Manhattan's OG Companion for answer explanations. Some answers are better explained by OG while others are better explained by Manhattan.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 May 2010
Posts: 139
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 40

Re: Best Use of Manhattan GMAT books [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2011, 14:21
adalfu wrote:
I think the best way to learn is to read the concepts and write them down on a notepad (summarize them as if you were creating a lecture plan), then re-read the raw material (or you can skip this step), and finally re-read your "lecture plan"... When studying for my financial designations (FRM, CAIA, CFA), that was pretty much my roadmap in terms of grasping concepts... but when it comes down to the actual exam, the most important thing was to practice as many problems as you can get a hold of, and review all the ones you get wrong.


Completely off topic, sorry, but you are the only other person i've found on a forum in a long time who has the CAIA also! Hurray for AI.
_________________

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Happy to join ROSS!
Joined: 29 Sep 2010
Posts: 279
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 48

Re: Best Use of Manhattan GMAT books [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2011, 05:40
I like MGMAT books, but not all of them.
Quant (except Geometry) is just GREAT and a must to have, so is the SC book - it is simply the SC Bible (or Tora or Koran :). Geometry book - I have never read it, using another source. The CR book is mas-o-menos, although it needs to be backed with A LOT OF PRACTICAL questions. And RC book is completely useless :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2011
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Best Use of Manhattan GMAT books [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2011, 15:37
Rux10 wrote:
adalfu wrote:
I think the best way to learn is to read the concepts and write them down on a notepad (summarize them as if you were creating a lecture plan), then re-read the raw material (or you can skip this step), and finally re-read your "lecture plan"... When studying for my financial designations (FRM, CAIA, CFA), that was pretty much my roadmap in terms of grasping concepts... but when it comes down to the actual exam, the most important thing was to practice as many problems as you can get a hold of, and review all the ones you get wrong.


Completely off topic, sorry, but you are the only other person i've found on a forum in a long time who has the CAIA also! Hurray for AI.



When studying something of such great extent as the Manhattan GMAT Books, I have found useful these steps for each book:

1. Read and highlight important concepts, making notes in the process.
2. Do the exercises at the end of each chapter and review results afterwards.
3. Review and summarize your highlights and notes before getting into the OG exercises.
4. Once you've done the OG exercises, review your results to see if the concepts were applied correctly or not.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2011
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Best Use of Manhattan GMAT books [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2011, 15:47
n2739178 wrote:
ok great thanks! I was seriously getting frustrated wondering why it was taking so long to go through each book. Now I feel better about it.



I've been dealing with the same frustrationn, glad to see I'm not the only one! :)
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Jan 2011
Posts: 198
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 6

Re: Best Use of Manhattan GMAT books [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2011, 16:21
I am not so happy about finding this thread :) just kidding! Now I realize I am going in the reverse way; I am almost done solving OG12; need to do 54 DS and 60 SC, already finished solving verbal OG review book, bought manhattan gmat books but haven't gone in them yet, after reading this thread I need to go back to OG post MGMAT again.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 May 2010
Posts: 288
Location: United Kingdom
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT Date: 10-22-2011
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 12

Re: Best Use of Manhattan GMAT books [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2011, 01:18
I reckon from my recent experiences the best thing to do after readding the MGMAT books is to do lots of questions, like RKimball said (the very helpful MGMAT instructor), and when you get a question wrong, either completely master it by understanding the MGMAT OG Guide answer and the OG guide's answer, work out which was the best one to use, and then mark the question to be done again very soon, to cement the knowledge in your memory. And if you get a question wrong due to lack of knowledge of a concept, do 5-6 similar questions, then mark the question to be redone again very soon. Also apply this concept to GMAT Club practice exams and other practice CATS you do. Make a list of those particular problems and concept areas you are weak in so you can focus on nailing them.

I'm doing this now and I can tell you even in 1 week my retention of knowledge has accelerated massively. I've wasted so many months on this damned exam purely due to not studying properly or effectively, now I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 1726
Location: Peru
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 311 [0], given: 109

Re: Best Use of Manhattan GMAT books [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2011, 09:51
I think that something better than writing your notes of the MGMAT guides in a note pad is writing them in an Excel spreadsheet.

Use each spreadsheet for a guide, and each row for every chapter. You wil see that organizing all those notes in that way is much better!
_________________

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Jan 2011
Posts: 198
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 6

Re: Best Use of Manhattan GMAT books [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2011, 11:18
Thanks for the excel idea, only if it was more comfortable for me, I will try it anyways, jst started my notebook today!

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Mar 2011
Posts: 189
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: Best Use of Manhattan GMAT books [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2011, 21:58
is it enough to just do the practice question at the end of each chapter and save the OG questions for later? or the right way is to do the books as methodical as they are being presented [meaning do all the OG Q's after doing the practice questions]?
Manhattan GMAT Online Marketing Associate
User avatar
Joined: 25 Feb 2011
Posts: 156
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 7

Re: Best Use of Manhattan GMAT books [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2011, 08:05
ashkanator wrote:
is it enough to just do the practice question at the end of each chapter and save the OG questions for later? or the right way is to do the books as methodical as they are being presented [meaning do all the OG Q's after doing the practice questions]?


Hey,

After each chapter, you should do both the practice questions in the back of the book as well as the questions the MGMAT strategy guides list in the Official Guides. While the "In Action" questions will help you practice the actual content you'll need to know for the GMAT, the OG problems will help you apply that content to real GMAT problems.

When you do the Official Guide problems, don't be too concerned about whether you get right or wrong answers--look to see if you actually understand the content and ask yourself whether you could do a similar problem by applying the same concept. Also, try to work on the OG problems as if you were sitting for the real GMAT. If you have ten OG problems to complete, then try completing all the problems in one 20-minute sitting (2 minutes per problem).

Hope this helps!

Best,
Matt Mapplebeck
Student Services Associate
Manhattan GMAT
_________________


Matt Mapplebeck | Manhattan GMAT Online Marketing Associate | New York


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Mar 2011
Posts: 189
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: Best Use of Manhattan GMAT books [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2011, 21:27
mmapplebeck wrote:
ashkanator wrote:
is it enough to just do the practice question at the end of each chapter and save the OG questions for later? or the right way is to do the books as methodical as they are being presented [meaning do all the OG Q's after doing the practice questions]?


Hey,

After each chapter, you should do both the practice questions in the back of the book as well as the questions the MGMAT strategy guides list in the Official Guides. While the "In Action" questions will help you practice the actual content you'll need to know for the GMAT, the OG problems will help you apply that content to real GMAT problems.

When you do the Official Guide problems, don't be too concerned about whether you get right or wrong answers--look to see if you actually understand the content and ask yourself whether you could do a similar problem by applying the same concept. Also, try to work on the OG problems as if you were sitting for the real GMAT. If you have ten OG problems to complete, then try completing all the problems in one 20-minute sitting (2 minutes per problem).

Hope this helps!

Best,
Matt Mapplebeck
Student Services Associate
Manhattan GMAT


thanks for the helpful tip...
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Jan 2011
Posts: 198
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 6

Re: Best Use of Manhattan GMAT books [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 09:19
That was a great suggestion by Matt; my quant timing is not improving; other than that MGMAT quant guides are taking too long to finish, I think doing few problems in timed manner should help!

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: TIME FOR 700+
Joined: 06 Dec 2010
Posts: 206
Schools: Fuqua
WE 1: Research in Neurology
WE 2: MORE research in Neurology
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 55

Re: Best Use of Manhattan GMAT books [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2011, 06:27
maybe a shortcut is to only reread what you are not remembering, if it is the WHOLE strategy from one book, I don't think any of us can help you with that, if it is specific problem areas just reviews those, repetition is key
_________________

Back to the grind, goal 700+

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Mar 2011
Posts: 189
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: Best Use of Manhattan GMAT books [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2011, 18:12
desiaggie1980 wrote:
That was a great suggestion by Matt; my quant timing is not improving; other than that MGMAT quant guides are taking too long to finish, I think doing few problems in timed manner should help!

Posted from my mobile device Image


the only way to improve the quant would be do as many problems with as much variation possible... if you learn all the variations and types you will improve substantially... so you should do as many problems as you can, and figure out all the short cuts for every type... after a while you will be able to approach problems from a pattern recognition perspective [this is the instance that you can do really good, really fast]...
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Status: Beginner
Joined: 09 Jan 2012
Posts: 26
Location: United States (TX)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

Re: Best Use of Manhattan GMAT books [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2012, 02:02
Wanted to thank everyone for their input on this thread! Just purchased the MGMAT guides for my studying and wasn't exactly sure how to start approaching them. The advice on how to best learn the material (Take your own notes, apply the concepts learned, review, etc.) is very helpful.
_________________

"Continuos effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential." - Winston Churchill

Re: Best Use of Manhattan GMAT books   [#permalink] 13 Jan 2012, 02:02
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Best GMAT Books After Manhattan GMAT Toews2Kane 2 11 Apr 2013, 19:37
[SOLD] Selling Used Manhattan GMAT Books in Singapore stewartlife 4 09 Mar 2013, 23:43
Experts publish their posts in the topic Manhattan GMAT books used? ArmorPierce 4 25 Dec 2011, 16:59
Using Manhattan GMAT Books OasisNYK 2 13 Jul 2006, 07:04
Anyone use Manhattan Gmat's Number Properties book? joemama142000 2 24 Nov 2005, 20:54
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Best Use of Manhattan GMAT books

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 40 posts ] 

Moderators: bagdbmba, WaterFlowsUp



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.