Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 09:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Best way to address DS weakness?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Best way to address DS weakness? [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2007, 13:53
I'm going through the errors I'm making and simply getting killed on DS problems. I'm getting questions correct for PS that are the same principles, but when it comes to DS I choke. :oops:

Do I just need to do more of these to get used to them? Revisit principles I'm missing?

Any and all help would be appreciated.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Best way to address DS weakness? [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2007, 15:43
zakk wrote:
I'm going through the errors I'm making and simply getting killed on DS problems. I'm getting questions correct for PS that are the same principles, but when it comes to DS I choke. :oops:

Do I just need to do more of these to get used to them? Revisit principles I'm missing?

Same problem here. I decided one of these days to track how I am doing in each section and I was surprised to see that I suck bigitme in DS. I am not doing that bad in other sections except for Permutation/Combination problems.

One other thing I noticed is that I tend to see DS as a way to gain time in the quants section and rush through them. After all I dont need to calculate answers in all cases. Now I am trying to give DS its due. And I also noticed that when I dont write equations down, I almost always screw up.

So my strategy for DS would be to not rush through them and write down every damn condition I think of, in the paper. I'll let you know next week whether it works or not.

So far so good, but its too early to tell.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Best way to address DS weakness? [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2007, 18:04
ioiio wrote:
zakk wrote:

Same problem here. I decided one of these days to track how I am doing in each section and I was surprised to see that I suck bigitme in DS. I am not doing that bad in other sections except for Permutation/Combination problems.

One other thing I noticed is that I tend to see DS as a way to gain time in the quants section and rush through them. After all I dont need to calculate answers in all cases. Now I am trying to give DS its due. And I also noticed that when I dont write equations down, I almost always screw up.

So my strategy for DS would be to not rush through them and write down every **** condition I think of, in the paper. I'll let you know next week whether it works or not.

So far so good, but its too early to tell.

good luck! I too seem to make a few less bonehead moves when I jot down what I can figure out.

Anyone else?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2007, 20:57
On DS number properties, make sure you sonsider all the types such as negatives, fractions ,zero, positives ...believe me this will greatly improve your hit rate. There is a stivky on Math forum on selecting numbers on number properties questions.. go through it.its awesome.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

read! [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2007, 09:50
For Ds questions you also need to read the question and translate what it is asking for in your words. When you rush or jot down items without totally understanding them, you will make mistakes. Aim for 100% comprehension before you write anything down. It takes a few seconds more to do this but it pays big dividends in both reducing errors and in finding time saving short cuts.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2007, 10:10
I think combining what Trahul and rlvesco have written is the correct approach. Spend the first 30 seconds considering how you are going to attack the problem an what the question is asking, but don't assume +, -, and/or integer unless specifically stated in the question.
  [#permalink] 02 Aug 2007, 10:10