Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 02:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Best way to learn from MGMAT SC and OG

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Best way to learn from MGMAT SC and OG [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2013, 08:05
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi

I am studying Mgmat sc 4th edition and i have OG12 and verbal review 2nd edition..I want to know that how do i make most of these books..

Mgmat chapter---------------------------> Og12 accuracy(correct)

Meaning,concise and grammar ----> 5/10

Sub verb -------------------------------> 8/11

Parallelism-----------------------------> 16/26

Pronoun Strategy--------------------> 3/6

Modifiers--------------------------------->3/14

Verb tense mood---------------------->4/11

Comparisons----------------------------> 7/12

Idioms------------------------------------> 10/18

Odds n evens----------------------------> 2/2

ADVANCED

GMC prallelism/ s-v----------------------> 15/22

Pronoun and modifiers------------------> 5/15

Verbs n comparisons--------------------->4/11

Ideally i study theory then do quizzes, and then move on to OG....But should i move on like this and complete the entire mgmat book? or i should g back to theory and then try to solve from error log?

What should be my approach? am not worried about other questions just want to utilize both the Og's and maximize my accuracy..

Thank you.

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-

1 KUDOS = 1 THANK

Kick Ass Gmat

Last edited by prateekbhatt on 16 Sep 2013, 22:06, edited 1 time in total.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 212

Kudos [?]: 315 [0], given: 5

Re: Best way to learn from MGMAT SC and OG [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2013, 19:51
Expert's post
This is a great question - one that lots of my students wonder about. I think there are several good approaches, but here is what I recommend.

Work through the Strategy Guide just like you are - chapter by chapter. Complete the end of chapter exercises (I usually recommend doing the odds so you have some problems to come back to if needed) and then do the associated OG problems. Review ALL OG problems thoroughly to understand what you did right and what you did wrong. If you do poorly on a section, make note of it but don't worry yet, just move on to the next chapter.

When you finish the entire strategy guide (but not the advanced sections) go back and review the chapters where you underperformed. If you have done the even problems, do them now. Re-do the Strategy Guide and OG problems you missed to see if you can get them right. Complete the associated Verbal 2 problems for that section. If you need to, get the Foundations of Math book and review the associated Foundations chapters.

Then, complete some times sets of the OG in chronological order to see how well you do with randomized SC topics (best if you are logging your responses in the OG Archer). If that goes well, review the Advanced Sections of the Strategy Guide and continue with the timed sets.

Hope that helps...

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Director
Director
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Best way to learn from MGMAT SC and OG [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2013, 22:15
KyleWiddison wrote:
This is a great question - one that lots of my students wonder about. I think there are several good approaches, but here is what I recommend.

Work through the Strategy Guide just like you are - chapter by chapter. Complete the end of chapter exercises (I usually recommend doing the odds so you have some problems to come back to if needed) and then do the associated OG problems. Review ALL OG problems thoroughly to understand what you did right and what you did wrong. If you do poorly on a section, make note of it but don't worry yet, just move on to the next chapter.

When you finish the entire strategy guide (but not the advanced sections) go back and review the chapters where you underperformed. If you have done the even problems, do them now. Re-do the Strategy Guide and OG problems you missed to see if you can get them right. Complete the associated Verbal 2 problems for that section. If you need to, get the Foundations of Math book and review the associated Foundations chapters.

Then, complete some times sets of the OG in chronological order to see how well you do with randomized SC topics (best if you are logging your responses in the OG Archer). If that goes well, review the Advanced Sections of the Strategy Guide and continue with the timed sets.

Hope that helps...

KW

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for your reply.

By now i have completed the Advance part too....

ADVANCED

I have completed Sentence correction book and presently working on CR.I want to know what is the best way to revise all important concepts in theory and make most of the error log in SC. Though my accuracy on OG12 is low but i feel very confident now when i see a SC question,rather than simple relying on my ear, now i look for errors in the Question stem if i dont get anything then i start reading the options and split them in 2 :3 ratio. Is this a right strategy??

I have made notes while reading SC book but found a very nice short and precise note in GC club Download section. So, is it a best way to revise though the notes daily or weekly? How often should i work on my error log?

One thing regrading error log is that i remember most of the error i had made(Entire OG12 SC)...so will that be beneficial to redo the same questions in the error log?? Isint this like a question where i remember the answer and while i am redoing it i am gonna remember the solution as well....So do you think working on error log for 2 or 3 times is beneficial...?

And this is not just for SC, for the entire Gmat. Basically i need the know the exact need of an error log , i believe only then ill be able to make most out of it.

Thanks

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-

1 KUDOS = 1 THANK

Kick Ass Gmat

Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 212

Kudos [?]: 315 [0], given: 5

Re: Best way to learn from MGMAT SC and OG [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2013, 15:19
Expert's post
prateekbhatt wrote:
Hi Kyle,

Thanks for your reply.

By now i have completed the Advance part too....

ADVANCED

I have completed Sentence correction book and presently working on CR.I want to know what is the best way to revise all important concepts in theory and make most of the error log in SC. Though my accuracy on OG12 is low but i feel very confident now when i see a SC question,rather than simple relying on my ear, now i look for errors in the Question stem if i dont get anything then i start reading the options and split them in 2 :3 ratio. Is this a right strategy??

I have made notes while reading SC book but found a very nice short and precise note in GC club Download section. So, is it a best way to revise though the notes daily or weekly? How often should i work on my error log?

One thing regrading error log is that i remember most of the error i had made(Entire OG12 SC)...so will that be beneficial to redo the same questions in the error log?? Isint this like a question where i remember the answer and while i am redoing it i am gonna remember the solution as well....So do you think working on error log for 2 or 3 times is beneficial...?

And this is not just for SC, for the entire Gmat. Basically i need the know the exact need of an error log , i believe only then ill be able to make most out of it.

Thanks

First, let me say that I'm most nervous about your performance on the Modifiers section. The GMAT has put much more weight on Meaning and much of the Meaning-based errors are related to modifiers. You really need to be good at modifiers if you want to perform well on the exam. In fact, I would add a section to your SC process you outlined above: In the first read, make sure you get a good sense of the meaning of the sentence (and if it's flawed in the original). It's easy to hyper-focus on grammar and forget to grasp the meaning of the sentence during the first read - leaving yourself open to missing meaning-based questions.

As for the error log, my colleague Stacey K. put together a great article about managing errors. I'll include a link to her article below as well as a bonus article about eliminating careless mistakes. In response to your questions, I would wait a few weeks before returning to those questions. Even if you remember the problem, a quick review will help prevent you from going wrong again. You'll need to find additional questions of the same type to see if you are really improving. Definitely be sure you are categorizing the error type/reason as you create your error log. If you have any questions after reviewing those articles reply back on this thread...

http://www.manhattangmat.com/articles/error-log.cfm
http://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... -the-gmat/

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Re: Best way to learn from MGMAT SC and OG   [#permalink] 17 Sep 2013, 15:19