Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 12:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Best way to pace oneself on the study books?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 52

Reviews Badge
Best way to pace oneself on the study books? [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2009, 19:11
I just got some books and would like to know how I should pace myself to be successful. Do you guys go through one chapter a day to prevent overload or just go through as much as one can a day? thanks!

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2324

Kudos [?]: 9437 [0], given: 3701

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Best way to pace oneself on the study books? [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2009, 22:16
Expert's post
I divided the time I had by the number of books I had and that was my pace.

I would recommend to prep for 4 months max and for 2 months min - if you go over, you start forgetting things and if you move too fast - can't hold all of it.
Plan to spend 1 month on math and 1 month on verbal and then another month on review and taking full tests

By all means - don't overextend yourself. If you can - live a little, but don't get fancy.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 52

Reviews Badge
Re: Best way to pace oneself on the study books? [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2009, 05:04
bb wrote:
I divided the time I had by the number of books I had and that was my pace.

I would recommend to prep for 4 months max and for 2 months min - if you go over, you start forgetting things and if you move too fast - can't hold all of it.
Plan to spend 1 month on math and 1 month on verbal and then another month on review and taking full tests

By all means - don't overextend yourself. If you can - live a little, but don't get fancy.

i see. i will go over one book at a time then. 3 months does seem very short considering i got a lot of stuff to cover and exams to take...

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

GMAT Forum Moderator
Schools: Wharton Class of 2011
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 14

Re: Best way to pace oneself on the study books? [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2009, 07:57
I pace myself on aan hour-of-study basis. I dedicate some time for GMAT study per week, usually 10-12 hours and than try to study fo 1,5 - 2 hours every day. If I need 5 hours to pass through 2 pages, I dedicate 5 hours to that. On the other hand, if I need 2 hours for 30 pages, I do them in two hours. Different topics and concepts carry different weights and deserve different levels of the attention.

I used similar strategy for CFA and it proved successful for me. I've never cared how much pages I covered but how many hours have I studied. I still have a notebook where I evidenced number of hours I've spent studying for CFA. That way, I was able to almost skip through some chapters I was proficient in, or, on the other hand, to spend even couple of hours per page on some concepts I've found tedious and ridiculously difficult for me.

Nevertheless, some friends of mine, who have also taken CFA exams, told me that this strategy was very tough for them. They just wanted to be sure how many pages they covered each day, noy how many hours they spent studying.

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Best way to pace oneself on the study books?   [#permalink] 18 Jun 2009, 07:57