Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 05:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Best way to start your essay

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg, London Business School, Darden, Cornell
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: Best way to start your essay [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2009, 00:38
Personally, I am always a little wary of the hard and fast rules, i.e. NEVER do this, or ALWAYS do that. I think they are best taken in context, and with a grain of salt.

I have started at least one essay with 'my short/long term goals are...'. Why ? Because the essay had a 200 word limit, and I couldn't spare any space writing something more appealing and insightful. Now, granted that this was the 2nd question, and the first one asked about short term goals and had a 600 word limit.

When looked at together, I was able to use part of the 600 words to get a nice intro, and use the second essay to get right to the point.

All in all, its good to be creative, but only if you arent using up valuable real estate that could be better used to tell your story :)
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Best way to start your essay [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2009, 07:05
Thanks for the heads up bigoyal.

Luckily, my essays don't have a word limit; I'm just more concerned what content should be in the essays.

For instance, The last question for my essay is: Describe any previous experience you had in the Sport Management Industry.

Now, to apply, it has been stated that experience is not required to apply nor attend the program. I am applying to a new field, and I have pretty much zero experience. I'm looking at this question thinking what's a creative way to tell them I don't have experience.

So far I came up with this and it is a work in progress. "Any previous experience in the Sport Industry is non-existant. I have not worked in a Sporting Goods store, nor a Marketing firm aimed to promote a team or sport product, nor have worked for a Sports team. I, however, am looking to change that with comepleting the Sport Management program offered at XXXXX University."
Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 395 [0], given: 56

GMAT Tests User
Re: Best way to start your essay [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2009, 07:16
CiscoAmado wrote:
Thanks for the heads up bigoyal.

Luckily, my essays don't have a word limit; I'm just more concerned what content should be in the essays.

For instance, The last question for my essay is: Describe any previous experience you had in the Sport Management Industry.

Now, to apply, it has been stated that experience is not required to apply nor attend the program. I am applying to a new field, and I have pretty much zero experience. I'm looking at this question thinking what's a creative way to tell them I don't have experience.

So far I came up with this and it is a work in progress. "Any previous experience in the Sport Industry is non-existant. I have not worked in a Sporting Goods store, nor a Marketing firm aimed to promote a team or sport product, nor have worked for a Sports team. I, however, am looking to change that with comepleting the Sport Management program offered at XXXXX University."

With my limited knowledge I would say a NO-NO to the above statement. Why would you like to highlight the thing that "not worked in a Sporting Goods store, nor a Marketing firm aimed to promote a team or sport product, nor have worked for a Sports team" ? If you don't have experience then that naturally means you have not worked in either of these.

I would say, instead think of why you are interested in Sports Management industry. Surely there would be something thats pulling you towards this career goal. So better mention why you are interested, may be an incident which developed this interest in you or may be due to your hobbies etc.

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Manager
Manager
Schools: Haas, Booth, Kellogg, Stanford
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

Re: Best way to start your essay [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2009, 09:10
The point of the essay is to tell a coherent story! Your main objective is to set yourself apart from the other applicants and I think I would immediately be bored with someone's essay if it started in such a rigid, informal way.

Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.
- Norman Cousins

Intern
Intern

Re: Best way to start your essay [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2009, 06:00
who are you talking about miccarlo?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Haas, Booth, Kellogg, Stanford
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

Re: Best way to start your essay [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2009, 14:06
Sorry, this was in response to the original post. :lol:

Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.
- Norman Cousins

Intern
Intern

Re: Best way to start your essay [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2009, 16:46
No problem, just wanted clarification.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Re: Best way to start your essay   [#permalink] 15 Nov 2009, 16:46