Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 05:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Between 1977 and 1989, the percentage of income paid to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 16

Reviews Badge
Between 1977 and 1989, the percentage of income paid to [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2012, 01:54
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

49% (02:37) correct 51% (02:00) wrong based on 167 sessions
Between 1977 and 1989, the percentage of income paid to Federal taxes by the richest one percent of Americans decreased, from 40 percent to 25 percent. By the end of that same period, however, the richest one percent of Americans were paying a larger proportion of all Federal tax revenues, from 12.7 percent in 1977 to 16.2 percent in 1989.

Which of the following, if true, contributes most to an explanation of the discrepancy described above?

A. Between 1977 and 1989, the Internal Revenue Service increased the percentage of its staff members responsible for audits and tax collection.
B. Between 1977 and 1989, the before-tax income of the richest one percent of Americans increased by over 75 percent when adjusted for inflation.
C. Between 1977 and 1989, many of the richest one percent of Americans shifted their investments from untaxable to taxable assets.
D. Between 1977 and 1989, the top tax rate was reduced from 70 percent to 31 percent and several tax loopholes were eliminated.
E. Between 1977 and 1989, the amount of Federal taxes paid by the richest one percent of Americans increased by $45 billion, while the amount paid by all Americans rose by $50 billion.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Giving +1 kudos is a better way of saying 'Thank You'.

Expert Post
6 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 543

Kudos [?]: 2293 [6] , given: 31

Re: Federal taxes by the richest one percent of Americans [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2012, 12:09
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi, there. I'm happy to help with this. :)

CR questions with percents are particularly tricky, because you have to ascertain, in each instant, what is a percent of what?

So, here's the prompt again: "Between 1977 and 1989, the percentage of income paid to Federal taxes by the richest one percent of Americans decreased, from 40 percent to 25 percent. By the end of that same period, however, the richest one percent of Americans were paying a larger proportion of all Federal tax revenues, from 12.7 percent in 1977 to 16.2 percent in 1989."

So, the first percentage ---- "percent of income paid to Federal taxes" for the 1% --- that means, each one-percenter person went from paying 40% of his income in 1977 to 25% of his income in 1989 (that would have been Mr. Reagan's policies). That is only a percent --- if my income went, say, from $1 million in 1977 to $10 million in 1989, then I would have paid 40% of $1 million = $400,000 in taxes in 1977, and I would have paid 25% of $10 million, or $2.5 million in taxes in 1989. In other words, if the overall amount of income has increase, the dollar amount of taxes paid can increase even if it's a smaller percent of the income.

The second percent: "a larger proportion of all Federal tax revenues" --- so, here, if you look at the big pie, the total dollar amount that the IRS rakes in each year, then the share contributed by the 1% would have increased. In other words, the rich got richer, and the poor got poorer: an oft-repeated description of the 1980s.

The basic way to explain this discrepancy: the dollar amount of income of each 1% person had wildly increased. That's something you need to have sorted out before you look at the answer choices.

Now, the choices.
A. Between 1977 and 1989, the Internal Revenue Service increased the percentage of its staff members responsible for audits and tax collection.
Almost wholly irrelevant --- audits might account for a little more money here and there, but not for a massive increase in revenue.
B. Between 1977 and 1989, the before-tax income of the richest one percent of Americans increased by over 75 percent when adjusted for inflation.
Bingo! Just what we suspected.
C. Between 1977 and 1989, many of the richest one percent of Americans shifted their investments from untaxable to taxable assets.
First of all, there's no historical evidence for that, but think about it. If the tax rate declines, maybe some 1% folks move a little more from tax shelters to something taxable, but it simply doesn't make sense that person would move so much that the overall dollar amount in taxes paid increases to more than what it was at the higher tax rate. It's unlikely one person would do that, and it's unimaginable that "many" of the 1% would do something so daft.
D. Between 1977 and 1989, the top tax rate was reduced from 70 percent to 31 percent and several tax loopholes were eliminated.
Lower taxes, doesn't explain more tax income from those folks. Eliminating loopholes -- may result in some more income, but a result in a substantially larger slice of the Federal pie? Unlikely.
E. Between 1977 and 1989, the amount of Federal taxes paid by the richest one percent of Americans increased by $45 billion, while the amount paid by all Americans rose by $50 billion.
Here we have dollar amount increases. For the 1%, we have the percentage increase, so we could figure out the before & after dollar amounts. For the 99%, we have no info --- no way to figure out the dollar amounts before or after. To borrow DS language, this choice gives us "insufficient" information.

Answer: B

Again, it's very important to have a clear idea of what the discrepancy is and what would resolve it before you start analyzing answer choices.

Does that make sense? Please let me know if you have any questions on what I've said.

Mike :)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Federal taxes by the richest one percent of Americans [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2012, 05:09
Hi Mike,

You are right with what ou said in the end about understanding the discrepancy and look at ans choices. I read the stimulus, but couldn't really figure out the discrepancy. I moved on with options, i figured out with B or C as correct option, but i marked C. Quite often I end up selecting the wrong ans choice among 2 options, what do you suggest. I dont want to work on a CR qustn for more than 2 min.

Thanks,
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 2293 [0], given: 31

Re: Federal taxes by the richest one percent of Americans [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2012, 10:56
Expert's post
priyalr wrote:
Hi Mike,
You are right with what ou said in the end about understanding the discrepancy and look at ans choices. I read the stimulus, but couldn't really figure out the discrepancy. I moved on with options, i figured out with B or C as correct option, but i marked C. Quite often I end up selecting the wrong ans choice among 2 options, what do you suggest. I dont want to work on a CR qustn for more than 2 min.
Thanks,

Thank you for your kind words. Here's a free video lesson about CR questions that you may find helpful.

http://gmat.magoosh.com/lessons/579-dis ... n-argument

At Magoosh, we have a series of video lessons to guide your approach to CR questions on the GMAT.

I hope that's helpful. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 31

Re: Federal taxes by the richest one percent of Americans [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2012, 23:09
Hey Mike,

Thats a brilliant prephrasing above you did.

I was lost and landed on C.

Basically i could not decipher the correct meaning thrown upon by the argument. Could you please suggest what shall i do, Mostly the 700-800 range problems bounce on me because I could hardly figure out what's going on.
Could you recommend any advise on this. It will be of great help.

thanx

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 2293 [1] , given: 31

Re: Federal taxes by the richest one percent of Americans [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2012, 12:53
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
kraizada84 wrote:
I was lost and landed on C. Basically i could not decipher the correct meaning thrown upon by the argument. Could you please suggest what shall i do, Mostly the 700-800 range problems bounce on me because I could hardly figure out what's going on.
Could you recommend any advise on this. It will be of great help.
thanx

Dear kraizada84

Thank you for your kind words. Mastering the high levels of CR is indeed a difficult task. I would recommend checking out Magoosh. We have 200+ GMAT lesson videos, including a whole series on mastering the CR. Here's a sample:

http://gmat.magoosh.com/lessons/579-dis ... n-argument

We have 800+ practice questions, each with its own video explanation. Here's a sample:

http://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/1309

After you submit your answer to that question, the following page will have the video explanation. I believe the strategies we teach might be just what you need to crack the ceiling you are current hitting on CR. You may also find this blog article helpful.

http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/arguments- ... -the-gmat/

Let me know if you have any questions.

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 31

Re: Federal taxes by the richest one percent of Americans [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2012, 20:47
thnx for suggestion i am going through the links. will let you know if problem still persists.

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 18

Re: Federal taxes by the richest one percent of Americans [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 00:49
fact 1 : percentage of income of richest 1 percent american decreased from 40 to 25 %. fact 2 : total proportion of richest 1 percent in revenues collected increased

considering these two facts it shows that income of richest 1 percent american increased. so IMO correct answer is B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 32

Re: Federal taxes by the richest one percent of Americans [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2012, 06:32
mikemcgarry wrote:

CR questions with percents are particularly tricky, because you have to ascertain, in each instant, what is a percent of what?

So, here's the prompt again: "Between 1977 and 1989, the percentage of income paid to Federal taxes by the richest one percent of Americans decreased, from 40 percent to 25 percent. By the end of that same period, however, the richest one percent of Americans were paying a larger proportion of all Federal tax revenues, from 12.7 percent in 1977 to 16.2 percent in 1989."

So, the first percentage ---- "percent of income paid to Federal taxes" for the 1% --- that means, each one-percenter person went from paying 40% of his income in 1977 to 25% of his income in 1989 (that would have been Mr. Reagan's policies). That is only a percent --- if my income went, say, from $1 million in 1977 to $10 million in 1989, then I would have paid 40% of $1 million = $400,000 in taxes in 1977, and I would have paid 25% of $10 million, or $2.5 million in taxes in 1989. In other words, if the overall amount of income has increase, the dollar amount of taxes paid can increase even if it's a smaller percent of the income.

The second percent: "a larger proportion of all Federal tax revenues" --- so, here, if you look at the big pie, the total dollar amount that the IRS rakes in each year, then the share contributed by the 1% would have increased. In other words, the rich got richer, and the poor got poorer: an oft-repeated description of the 1980s.

The basic way to explain this discrepancy: the dollar amount of income of each 1% person had wildly increased. That's something you need to have sorted out before you look at the answer choices.

First of all, there's no historical evidence for that, but think about it. If the tax rate declines, maybe some 1% folks move a little more from tax shelters to something taxable, but it simply doesn't make sense that person would move so much that the overall dollar amount in taxes paid increases to more than what it was at the higher tax rate. It's unlikely one person would do that, and it's unimaginable that "many" of the 1% would do something so daft.

Hi Mike - I'm a bit lost with option C

1977: 40% of $100
1989: 25% of ($100 + $1 Billion) (the 1B $ is the shifted $ amt from untaxable to taxable.

then we can account for the 12.7 percent in 1977 to 16.2 percent in 1989 increase right, even though the tax rate was low?

Could you please correct my reasoning?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Federal taxes by the richest one percent of Americans [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2012, 12:30
Jp27 wrote:
mikemcgarry wrote:

1989: 25% of ($100 + $1 Billion) (the 1B $ is the shifted $ amt from untaxable to taxable.

then we can account for the 12.7 percent in 1977 to 16.2 percent in 1989 increase right, even though the tax rate was low?

C just says "*many* of the richest 1 percent" shifted their assets from non-taxable to taxable. What was the amount of this new contribution (relative to the government's total revenue from taxes)? We don't know. "Many of the richest 1%" can mean 10% of the 1%, so if the 1% is 300 people, then 30 people. We don't know how much these 30 people's added contribution accounts for.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V29
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 48

Re: Between 1977 and 1989, the percentage of income paid to [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2012, 21:42
phew!! tricky question this!! federal taxes, federal revenues, percentage increase, percentage decrease!! too many confusing words..

Live Life the Way YOU Love It !! :)

GmatPrep1 [10/09/2012] : 650 (Q42;V38) - need to make lesser silly mistakes.
MGMAT 1 [11/09/2012] : 640 (Q44;V34) - need to improve quant pacing and overcome verbal fatigue.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 2293 [1] , given: 31

Re: Federal taxes by the richest one percent of Americans [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2012, 11:38
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Jp27 wrote:

Dear Jp27,

Think about it this way. We are being asked for an "explanation of the discrepancy." An explanation is something that makes something clear --- explanations resolve uncertainty & ambiguity --- that's the job of an explanation.

Choice (C) contains that beautifully vague word "many" --- how many? a majority? almost all? or just a substantial minority? And then we have the question of --- what was the dollar amount of the investments that were shifted "from untaxable to taxable assets", and how does that compare in dollar amount to the assets that were already being taxed? Much more? much less? about equal? More uncertainty.

We have been asked to explain something. A statement awash in uncertainty does not make a cogent explanation.

Does all this make sense?

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 2293 [0], given: 31

Re: Between 1977 and 1989, the percentage of income paid to [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2012, 11:44
Expert's post
thebigr002 wrote:
phew!! tricky question this!! federal taxes, federal revenues, percentage increase, percentage decrease!! too many confusing words..

Dear thebigr002

My friend, if you are studying for the GMAT and headed for business school, you need to get used to arguments just like this. This argument is very typically, in scope and language, of what the GMAT will test. Furthermore, this is precisely the sort of information that managers need to process to make business decisions. If you are aiming for the MBA, hoping to pursue a career in business, you have to acclimate yourself to all these ideas until reading a passage like this is totally natural. I would strongly suggest reading the Economist magazine to build familiarity with fundamental economic ideas.

I'll also recommend this series of blogs on real-life issues to understand for the GMAT.
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-supply-and-demand/

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 32

Re: Federal taxes by the richest one percent of Americans [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2012, 19:49
mikemcgarry wrote:
Jp27 wrote:

Dear Jp27,

Think about it this way. We are being asked for an "explanation of the discrepancy." An explanation is something that makes something clear --- explanations resolve uncertainty & ambiguity --- that's the job of an explanation.

Choice (C) contains that beautifully vague word "many" --- how many? a majority? almost all? or just a substantial minority? And then we have the question of --- what was the dollar amount of the investments that were shifted "from untaxable to taxable assets", and how does that compare in dollar amount to the assets that were already being taxed? Much more? much less? about equal? More uncertainty.

We have been asked to explain something. A statement awash in uncertainty does not make a cogent explanation.

Does all this make sense?

Mike - Yes this helps a lot and will help a lot on many such questions to come...

Thanks again. +1
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT Date: 11-08-2012
GPA: 2.67

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 4

Re: Federal taxes by the richest one percent of Americans [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2012, 22:56
priyalr wrote:
Hi Mike,

Thanks,

From the discussion above, I think many of us consider option B & option C to be the two major contenders for the answer. However, some of us are, ultimately, falling for the wrong guy, option C. I think, in our discussion above, we have missed one crucial point, which is very apparent in the question passage and which is missed by option C.

Let me offer my two cents to the discussion.

As Mike has very brilliantly explained the paragraph of the question, the paragraph states two things about period 1977 to 1989:

1. The proportion of income paid to federal taxes by the richest (i.e. top 1%) people has decreased.
2. Proportion of federal taxes contributed by the richest has increased

Now, option C says that many of the richest people shifted their investments from non-taxable to taxable assets. Now, such a thing would have impact on both the above statements. Though such a move by the richest would help explain statement 2, it would run completely counter to statement 1, since this option talks about increased tax outflow from the richest, without suggesting any corresponding increase in the income of the richest. Thus, this option leads to increased proportion of income paid to taxes, which is opposite of statement 1.

I hope the above explanation removes option C from the race, leaving us with only option B.

If anyone finds any issues with this, I would be grateful if you point it out.

I would also like to use this forum to emphasize one very important point here. We should never use outside knowledge to judge the validity of any statement. The reason is simple that the critical reasoning questions are designed to test your reasoning skills, not your knowledge. They are not designed to favor people possessing certain knowledge (which, in this case, could be about the tax regime in 1980s in the US). Official GMAT website clearly states this in the test structure of GMAT.

I am emphasizing this because I see that Mike’s argument for not going for option C begins with “First of all, there's no historical evidence for that...”. This is an incorrect approach to attempt critical reasoning questions.

Even the second part of this argument is fallacious. The second part says that:
“If the tax rate declines, maybe some 1% folks move a little more from tax shelters to something taxable, but it simply doesn't make sense that person would move so much that the overall dollar amount in taxes paid increases to more than what it was at the higher tax rate. It's unlikely one person would do that, and it's unimaginable that "many" of the 1% would do something so daft. “

Looking closely at the argument, a question arises, why would even some people move some proportion of their assets, if the tax rate was lowered? No-tax is always better than lower tax. Why would some people do that?

They would do only when the after-tax return on taxable investments becomes greater than return on non-taxable income. So, when the tax rate is lowered to such an extent that after tax return on taxable assets become greater, people would start switching to them, thereby increasing tax revenues for the government. And in this case, they may shift their entire assets to taxable ones, which would possibly generate enough taxes for the government, to more than offset the decrease in tax rate.

If this post is helpful, think of giving KUDOS.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Statistics, International Business
Schools: Fuqua, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-02-2013
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 168 [1] , given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Between 1977 and 1989, the percentage of income paid to [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2013, 11:01
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
New Gmat club project
Click here

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Last edited by dentobizz on 22 Nov 2013, 10:28, edited 1 time in total.
updated theory articles
Re: Between 1977 and 1989, the percentage of income paid to   [#permalink] 21 Nov 2013, 11:01