Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:01 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2467 [24]
Given Kudos: 185
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2467 [8]
Given Kudos: 185
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1519 [3]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63648 [3]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Between 1984 and 1989, occupancy rates in college [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
This is basically a "resolve the paradox" question. We're trying to figure out how it's possible that the following are both true:

occupancy rates are up
    BUT student admission rates are down, at least relative to the number of available rooms

As others have explained here, (A) makes sense: if students spend more time, on average, living in campus housing, then that would explain why occupancy rates are up, even if admissions rates are down.

But what's the problem with (B)? Well, it leaves a subtle loophole: "proportion of students" isn't necessarily the same thing as "proportion of admitted students." For example, you could have a greater proportion of students living in campus housing, but if tons had dropped out -- or had decided not to attend after being admitted -- then it still wouldn't resolve the paradox. (B) simply doesn't cleanly connect admitted students to actual occupancy in student housing.

Of course, usual disclaimers apply here about non-official questions, so don't lose much sleep over this one, either.

(Note: this has been edited from the original version since I made a dumb typo.)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: -4 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: IE '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
Send PM
Re: Between 1984 and 1989, occupancy rates in college dormitorie [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
addmission rate - number of students admitted to the dormitory/1000 rooms
occupancy rate is the percentage of rooms that remain occupied in a particular time period.
even though number of students admitted decreased, their stay at the dormitory increased hence the occupancy rate increased.
Answer - A
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: NA
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [1]
Given Kudos: 59
GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: Between 1984 and 1989, occupancy rates in college [#permalink]
Kudos
GMATNinja wrote:
This is basically a "resolve the paradox" question. We're trying to figure out how it's possible that the following are both true:

occupancy rates are up
    BUT student admission rates are down, at least relative to the number of available rooms

As others have explained here, (A) makes sense: if students spend more time, on average, living in campus housing, then that would explain why occupancy rates are down, even if admissions rates are not.

But what's the problem with (B)? Well, it leaves a subtle loophole: "proportion of students" isn't necessarily the same thing as "proportion of admitted students." For example, you could have a greater proportion of students living in campus housing, but if tons had dropped out -- or had decided not to attend after being admitted -- then it still wouldn't resolve the paradox. (B) simply doesn't cleanly connect admitted students to actual occupancy in student housing.

Of course, usual disclaimers apply here about non-official questions, so don't lose much sleep over this one, either.

Hi,
In line
(A) makes sense: if students spend more time, on average, living in campus housing, then that would explain why occupancy rates are down, even if admissions rates are not.

Did you mean occupancy rates are going up?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
I have chosen B. I would appreciate if you can provide explanation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 696 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Although I chose correct answer ,but have a tough time in interpreting choice -A ,especially occupancy rate & admission rate

Please someone explain a bit more on OA

Thanks
Bijay
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
rohantiwari wrote:
occupancy rate is the percentage of rooms that remain occupied in a particular time period.
even though number of students admitted decreased, their stay at the dormitory increased hence the occupancy rate increased.
Answer - A

I do not agree: the number of admitted students does not necessarely decrease, only the rate does. Very confusing question...

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 231 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Belerofonte wrote:
rohantiwari wrote:
Answer - A

I do not agree: the number of admitted students does not necessarely decrease, only the rate does. Very confusing question...

Posted from GMAT ToolKit

A ,Correct, the number of new students decrease, so the average stay of the other students must increase to have a higher occupancy rate.
B, Incorrect as we are given the average 98 percent, we cannot be sure that the number of students were more in 1994 or 1989. We cannot conclude this from the information provided.
Rest all are way off.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
Send PM
I missed the meaning of occupancy rate - hence messed up my answer choice
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GPA: 4
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
PraPon wrote:
Between 1984 and 1989, occupancy rates in college dormitories averaged 91 percent of capacity, while admission rates remained constant at an average of 200 students per 1,000 rooms per year. Between 1989 and 1994, however, occupancy rates rose to an average of 98 percent of capacity, while student admission rates declined to 150 per 1,000 rooms per year.

If the information above is true, it would most clearly support which of the following statements?
(A) The average length of time that students remained in campus housing increased between 1989 and 1994.
(B) The proportion of students living in campus housing was greater in 1994 than in 1989.
(C) Student admission rates tend to decline whenever campus-housing occupancy rates rise.
(D) Campus dormitories built prior to 1989 generally had fewer rooms than did campus dormitories built after 1989.
(E) The more rooms campus housing has, the higher its occupancy rate is likely to be.

Good one ;
Passage- said That OR-91 when AR-Constant; OR-98 when AR- Decresed.

(A) The average length of time that students remained in campus housing increased between 1989 and 1994. - Correctly defies the ; if the average time the student spending in campus increases then the rooms are likely to occupied at single point of tie hence the occupancy rate will go up, irrespective of the Admission rate.

(B) The proportion of students living in campus housing was greater in 1994 than in 1989.- Now here the word proportion of students is used which mean the ratio of no. of students; i guess OR - defined by no. of rooms occupied /total no. of rooms, not by total no. of students. So this is also not true.

(C) Student admission rates tend to decline whenever campus-housing occupancy rates rise. - So this fact already mentioned in the passage, need not to repeat, this is a fact.

(D) Campus dormitories built prior to 1989 generally had fewer rooms than did campus dormitories built after 1989- May be the case but increased rooms does not correlate with increased occupancy and decreased AR.

(E) The more rooms campus housing has, the higher its occupancy rate is likely to be. - passage discusses the relation v\between OR and AR not with no. of rooms.

:banana
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Schools: Cambridge'16
Prephrasing: If admission rate goes down but occupancy goes up the reason can be that admmitted students study more time

A
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6339 [0]
Given Kudos: 178
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Temurkhon wrote:
Prephrasing: If admission rate goes down but occupancy goes up the reason can be that admmitted students study more time

A

If we use the same logic for variant B:
If admission rate goes down but occupancy goes up the reason can be that admmitted students start living in the campus and not outside campus.

---- Another explanation:
In 1989: No.of rooms =1000, New students = 200, Rooms occupied= 910, Old students = 710
In 1994: No.of rooms = 2000, New students = 300, Rooms occupied= 1960 Old students = 1660

The greater proportion of old students to new students in 1994 would result in increased average stay period of the students in 1994.

The same logic for B

In 1989: No.of rooms =1000, New students = 200, Rooms occupied= 910, students live not in campus: 90
In 1994: No.of rooms = 2000, New students = 300, Rooms occupied= 1960, students live not in campus: 40
The greater proportion of students living in campus to students living not in campus in 1994 would result in increased number of students live in campus

====

If we can infer that student start living in campus more time why we can't infer that they stop living outside the campus and as a result occupancy rate increase?

Am I miss something obvious?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Harley1980 wrote:

If we can infer that student start living in campus more time why we can't infer that they stop living outside the campus and as a result occupancy rate increase?

Am I miss something obvious?

I dropped B because the stimulus compares 84-89 with 89-94 (periods) while the answer option compares 89 with 94 (specific years).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 905
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: Q167 V147
Send PM
Hi experts,
Can you please elaborate more on option A and B?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 83
Send PM
vishu1414 wrote:
Although I chose correct answer ,but have a tough time in interpreting choice -A ,especially occupancy rate & admission rate

Please someone explain a bit more on OA

Thanks
Bijay

I think A is wrong. What if the number of rooms increased
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63648 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Thank you for catching my error, Anje29! Yes, I meant to say that occupancy rates are down. Edited my post so that it doesn't confuse anybody else. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
krackgmat wrote:
I have chosen B. I would appreciate if you can provide explanation.

I guess the proportion of people who live in dorms can increase without necessarily increasing the number of occupied dorms.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts