Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Jul 2014, 06:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Between 1990 and 2000 the global economy grew more than

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Mannheim '15
GPA: 3
WE: Human Resources (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [2] , given: 19

Between 1990 and 2000 the global economy grew more than [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2013, 12:37
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (low)

Question Stats:

65% (01:52) correct 34% (00:58) wrong based on 114 sessions
Between 1990 and 2000 the global economy grew more than it did during the 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture to 1950.

1. Between 1990 and 2000 the global economy grew more than it did during the 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture
2. Between 1990 and 2000 the growth of the global economy was more than that during 10,000 years, from when agriculture began
3. The growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000 exceeds that which had been for 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture
4. The growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000 exceeds what it has been for 10,000 years, from when agriculture began
5. The growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000 exceeded what it did for the 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture

No Clue !! Help
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 461

Kudos [?]: 1796 [4] , given: 29

Re: Between 1990 and 2000 the global economy grew more than [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2013, 12:51
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Dhairya275 wrote:
Between 1990 and 2000 the global economy grew more than it did during the 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture to 1950.

1. Between 1990 and 2000 the global economy grew more than it did during the 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture to 1950.
2. Between 1990 and 2000 the growth of the global economy was more than that during 10,000 years, from when agriculture began.
3. The growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000 exceeds that which had been for 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture.
4. The growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000 exceeds what it has been for 10,000 years, from when agriculture began.
5. The growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000 exceeded what it did for the 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture.

No Clue !! Help

I'm happy to help with this. :-)

First of all, one big hint in this problem --- the word "grow" appears as a verb only in (A), and appears as the noun "growth" in the other four answers. That's not definitive, in and of itself, but it's a HUGE hint. The GMAT loves this kind of split, the same root word as noun/verb/adjective ---- over 95% of the time, the verb form will be correct. The reason is --- putting action as a verb tends to make the sentence more concise, more direct, and more powerful. Putting the action in noun or adjective form almost always makes things more indirect and wordy. See:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/active-verbs-on-the-gmat/

Version (A) is perfectly correct grammatically, as well as direct & clear & powerful.

(B) is wordy, flabby, indirect.
(C) & (D) have the illogical present tense. The period 1950-2000 was a lovely time, but it ended 13 years ago, so using a present tense for this is incorrect.
(E) is also wordy & flabby, and I don't think the phrase "exceeded what it did" makes any sense at all. Does a world economy "do" its size, or do we say it simply "is" a size? The world economy is $XXX hundred billion. It would be totally illogical to use "does" instead of "is".

That's why (A) is the best. Does this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

1 KUDOS received
McCombs Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 47 [1] , given: 21

Re: Between 1990 and 2000 the global economy grew more than [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2013, 19:47
This post received
KUDOS
I don't think this is a 700 level question.

1950 is only mentioned in A and not in other options. There insufficient comparison in choices B, C, D and E.

My GMAT debrief

greatness is not about possessing talent but about having the discipline to summon that talent whenever needed!!!

Please Kudos my post if it helped you!!

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: -24 [2] , given: 2

Re: Between 1990 and 2000 the global economy grew more than [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2013, 20:04
This post received
KUDOS
IMO Clear A.

'It' singular refers to Global economy which is correct
From X to Y - Correct usage of Idiom.

With this, doing POE 2, 3 & 5 are comparing economy with time which is wrong and 4 changes the meaning by omitting 1950.

Kudos if this helps.. Thanks!

Struggling BIG TIME with RC.. Any improvement tips much appreciated. Thanks!

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 1796 [0], given: 29

Re: Between 1990 and 2000 the global economy grew more than [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2013, 09:26
Expert's post
jkaustubh wrote:
1950 is only mentioned in A and not in other options. There insufficient comparison in choices B, C, D and E.

Dear jkaustubh,
Yes, I agree, it's not the most difficult question. I believe Dhairya275, who posted the question saying, "No Clue !! Help", simply took a guess because the system requires one to specify such things when one posts a questions. Don't automatically assume that the difficulty level for a question posted on GC is rigorously accurate ----- especially when a user who doesn't understand the question posts it for help, that user's estimation of the difficulty level is probably not going to be the most representative. Theoretically, when experts such as myself post our own questions, we will have a slightly better guess of the difficulty level, although to be honest, when I write a question, it's very hard for me to judge how difficult others will find it, because it's easy for me! :-)

Also, thanks for pointing out that "in 1950" irregularity. Good catch. Once you pointed that out, it made me curious. I check the question on a couple other websites ---- it turns out, the underlined part is NOT the whole sentence. The final prepositional phrase, "in 1950", is the only non-underlined part and should not have been included in choice (A). I edited the question to reflect this. Again, when someone is just beginning their GMAT studies, confused about the question, confused about GC, etc., and that person posts a question, don't automatically assume the question is in its pure and pristine form. Critical thinking, my friend --- that might be the #1 skill the GMAT is testing, and certainly the #! kind of intelligence that will lead to success in the business world.

Does all this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

McCombs Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 21

Re: Between 1990 and 2000 the global economy grew more than [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2013, 20:06
mikemcgarry wrote:
jkaustubh wrote:

Dear jkaustubh,
Yes, I agree, it's not the most difficult question. I believe Dhairya275, who posted the question saying, "No Clue !! Help", simply took a guess because the system requires one to specify such things when one posts a questions. Don't automatically assume that the difficulty level for a question posted on GC is rigorously accurate ----- especially when a user who doesn't understand the question posts it for help, that user's estimation of the difficulty level is probably not going to be the most representative. Theoretically, when experts such as myself post our own questions, we will have a slightly better guess of the difficulty level, although to be honest, when I write a question, it's very hard for me to judge how difficult others will find it, because it's easy for me! :-)

Also, thanks for pointing out that "in 1950" irregularity. Good catch. Once you pointed that out, it made me curious. I check the question on a couple other websites ---- it turns out, the underlined part is NOT the whole sentence. The final prepositional phrase, "in 1950", is the only non-underlined part and should not have been included in choice (A). I edited the question to reflect this. Again, when someone is just beginning their GMAT studies, confused about the question, confused about GC, etc., and that person posts a question, don't automatically assume the question is in its pure and pristine form. Critical thinking, my friend --- that might be the #1 skill the GMAT is testing, and certainly the #! kind of intelligence that will lead to success in the business world.

Yes Mike it does make sense. Thanks for reminding me that the people posting questions are aspirants like me.
I will certainly keep this in mind.

Can you help me prepositional phrases and idioms. I am not good with these.

Thank you :oops:

My GMAT debrief

greatness is not about possessing talent but about having the discipline to summon that talent whenever needed!!!

Please Kudos my post if it helped you!!

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 1796 [0], given: 29

Re: Between 1990 and 2000 the global economy grew more than [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2013, 09:09
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
jkaustubh wrote:
Can you help me prepositional phrases and idioms. I am not good with these.
Thank you

Dear jkaustubh,

I'm happy to help with this. :-)

First of all, on the issue of idioms --- how different prepositions are used in different situations, here's a free idiom e-book:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-idiom-ebook/

Of course, the basic structure of a preposition phrase is relatively easy --- [preposition] + [object]. Caveats:
(a) the "object" is either a noun or something behaving as a noun
(b) that noun may have modifiers, including entire modifying phrases & clauses
(c) the object of a preposition must be in objective form --- in English, there's no difference in nouns between subjective & objective form, but it makes a different for personal pronouns, which must be in their objective form {me, you, her, him, it, them}.
(d) other objects that can act as nouns and be objects of prepositions are (1) gerunds, and (2) substantive clauses (a.k.a. noun clauses); see:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... d-phrases/
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/substantiv ... -the-gmat/

Prepositional phrases themselves are modifiers, and they are very flexible as modifiers. They act on two broad ways:
1) as an adjectival phrase --- that is, a noun-modifier, like an adjective
2) as an adverbial phrase --- like an adverb, modifying a verb, and adjective, or an adverb
see:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... d-clauses/
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... d-clauses/

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 110

Kudos [?]: 1073 [1] , given: 118

Re: Between 1990 and 2000 the global economy grew more than [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2013, 22:02
This post received
KUDOS
jaituteja wrote:
Hi,

Need you help to understand the below question.

between-1990-and-2000-the-global-economy-grew-more-than-158813.html

Thanks,
Jai

Hi Jai. Here is my explanation.

1. Between 1990 and 2000 the global economy grew more than it did during the 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture
Correct. "It" refers to "the global economy". The meaning is clear ==> Between 1990 and 2000 X grew more than X did during 10,000 years

2. Between 1990 and 2000 the growth of the global economy was more than that during 10,000 years, from when agriculture began
Wrong. "that" is put incorrectly. The structure of B is: the growth of X was more than that during 10,000 years. ==> "that" refers to what? Logically, "that" refers to the growth. Be aware of the phrase "the growth OF economy", which is parallel to "that". Thus, we need phrase "THAT + OF something" ==> "The growth OF X" || "That OF something". Otherwise, the sentence is not parallel

3. The growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000 exceeds that which had been for 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture
Wrong. "Exceeds" is present simple --> But we need past tense here. In addition, "that which had been" is totally wrong.

4. The growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000 exceeds what it has been for 10,000 years, from when agriculture began
Wrong. "Exceeds" is present simple --> But we need past tense here. In addition, present perfect used for action was completed in the past is wrong.

5. The growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000 exceeded what it did for the 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture
Wrong. The structure is wrong. The growth of X exceeded what IT did ==> Pronoun "it" refers to "the growth of X". Verb "did" refers to "exceeded" ==> The structure becomes: The growth of economy between 1990 and 2000 exceeded what the growth of economy exceeded for ..............<== Totally awkward, because "did" should refer to verb "grew" as in A, NOT verb "exceeded" as in E.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Re: Between 1990 and 2000 the global economy grew more than   [#permalink] 07 Sep 2013, 22:02