Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:26 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63666 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Between 1990 and 2000 the global economy grew more than it did during [#permalink]
Expert Reply
pyaasa wrote:
Hi GMATNinja, Abhi077, generis.

In answer choice A,
Before the proposition "from" we don't require a comma, because it is not a modifier just a preposition.

But, prepositional phrases act as modifiers ?
Is there a difference between Prepositions and prepositional phrases ?

I eliminated option A for lack of a comma before 'from'.

Please help.

Prepositions are the words that start off a prepositional phrase, i.e. "a pile OF books" ("of" is the preposition and "of books" is the prepositional phrase).

And, yes, prepositional phrases can certainly act as modifiers! In the example above, "of books" describes the "pile."

Keep in mind that the GMAT is fairly lenient when it comes to comma rules, so you always want to look for other decision points first.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
Re: Between 1990 and 2000 the global economy grew more than it did during [#permalink]
VeritasKarishma wrote:
gamjatang wrote:
Between 1990 and 2000 the global economy grew more than it did during the 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture to 1950.

(A) Between 1990 and 2000 the global economy grew more than it did during the 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture

(B) Between 1990 and 2000 the growth of the global economy was more than that during 10,000 years, from when agriculture began

(C) The growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000 exceeds that which had been for 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture

(D) The growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000 exceeds what it has been for 10,000 years, from when agriculture began

(E) The growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000 exceeded what it did for the 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture

Source : GMATPrep Default Exam Pack

We usually do not use a comma before prepositions. In option (B), we have a relative clause beginning with a preposition. Though the clause is essential so you will still not use a comma.

VeritasKarishma
To clarify, why wouldn't you need a comma right after 2000 to be ---> "Between 1990 and 2000, the..."? My ear wanted a comma there. Thank you in advance :)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64913 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
woohoo921 wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
gamjatang wrote:
Between 1990 and 2000 the global economy grew more than it did during the 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture to 1950.

(A) Between 1990 and 2000 the global economy grew more than it did during the 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture

(B) Between 1990 and 2000 the growth of the global economy was more than that during 10,000 years, from when agriculture began

(C) The growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000 exceeds that which had been for 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture

(D) The growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000 exceeds what it has been for 10,000 years, from when agriculture began

(E) The growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000 exceeded what it did for the 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture

Source : GMATPrep Default Exam Pack

We usually do not use a comma before prepositions. In option (B), we have a relative clause beginning with a preposition. Though the clause is essential so you will still not use a comma.

VeritasKarishma
To clarify, why wouldn't you need a comma right after 2000 to be ---> "Between 1990 and 2000, the..."? My ear wanted a comma there. Thank you in advance :)

GMAT doesn't really test comma rules so do not eliminate any option on the basis of comma alone. Look for other decision points.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM

Look at the meaning, what it says the growth of the global economy and global economy exceeds. I want to make it simple by the way it is a placeholder that I mention. I am the person who is targeting Q51 so I noticed that growth is not exact way the sentence trying to figure. It talks about the economy thats exceeds in general. The growth of global economy and global economy is very different thing I thing Thats why ninja says focus on meaning
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Between 1990 and 2000 the global economy grew more than it did during [#permalink]
A. Correct
B.Idiom Error, From X to Y; from when is wrong, could have been from beginning of agriculture to 1950
C. Need past tense + usage of that which together is almost always wrong on GMAT
D. Need past tense
E. it pronoun issue, growth did not do anything, but growth 'was ''
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Between 1990 and 2000 the global economy grew more than it did during [#permalink]
Hi MartyTargetTestPrep ReedArnoldMPREP

Between (A) and (B) - i chose (B).

I disregarded (A) because of the "IT" in (A)

In (A) - isnt the "IT" referring back to the SAME ANTECEDENT, specifically global economy (between 1990 and 2000) ?

So (A) - the comparison is

Quote:
(A) Between 1990 and 2000 the global economy grew more than the 1999-2000 global economy (=it) did during the 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture to 1950.

That doesnt make sense obviously.

Alternativevly, (B) - I prefer "that" -- because "that" forces a NEW COPY of the antecedent. In (B) -- growth rate 1 is being compared to growth rate 2
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
Hi MartyTargetTestPrep ReedArnoldMPREP

Between (A) and (B) - i chose (B).

I disregarded (A) because of the "IT" in (A)

In (A) - isnt the "IT" referring back to the SAME ANTECEDENT, specifically global economy (between 1990 and 2000) ?

So (A) - the comparison is

Quote:
(A) Between 1990 and 2000 the global economy grew more than the 1999-2000 global economy (=it) did during the 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture to 1950.

That doesnt make sense obviously.

Alternativevly, (B) - I prefer "that" -- because "that" forces a NEW COPY of the antecedent. In (B) -- growth rate 1 is being compared to growth rate 2

Hi jabhatta2.

The issue is that the (A) version doesn't say, "the 1990-2000 global economy." Rather, the (A) version says, "Between 1990 and 2000 the global economy grew ...."

So, the modifier "between 1990 and 2000" doesn't modify "global economy." If modifies "grew," communicating that the economy grew between 1990 and 2000.

In fact, if you think about it, what exactly would the BETWEEN 1990 and 2000 global economy be anyway?

(There really should be a comma after "2000" to make the above clearer, but still, that meaning is the meaning conveyed by the sentence even as written.)

So, the antecedent of "it" in the (A) version is simply "the global economy," with the result that the (A) version conveys a meaning that makes sense, which is that the global economy grew more between 1990 and 2000 than the global economy did during the other time period.
Director
Director
Send PM
MartyTargetTestPrep
Thank you! To clarify, "did" functions as a verb that can be used to replace another verb phase, correct? So, "did" replaces "grew"? Thank you again for all of your time and help :)
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
woohoo921 wrote:
MartyTargetTestPrep
Thank you! To clarify, "did" functions as a verb that can be used to replace another verb phase, correct? So, "did" replaces "grew"? Thank you again for all of your time and help :)

Yes, what you said is completely correct.
Director
Director
Send PM
egmat wrote:
dqtuan9627 wrote:
I eliminate A because I though it should be "Between 1990 and 2000 the global economy grew more than it had done during the 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture"

Please tell me where I am wrong?

Hi dqtuan9627,

Let’s first understand the usage of the past perfect tense. The past perfect tense is used to represent an event that happened earlier in the past as compared to another event that took place later in the past. So, this tells us about the sequencing of the events: which event took place earlier and which took place later. Let’s take an example:

I had finished my assignment when he came to visit me.

The assignment was finished earlier. Later he came to visit me. Now, the same meaning can be conveyed by saying:

I finished my assignment before he came to visit me.

In this sentence, the past perfect tense is not used, but we still know which event happened earlier because ‘before’ tells us the sequencing. We can also say:

I had finished my assignment before he came to visit me.

So, when the sequencing of the events is clear from the context of the sentence, then using the past perfect tense becomes optional.

Now, coming to your question:

• Between 1990 and 2000
o the global economy grew more than
o it had done during the 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture to 1950.

As explained above, both ‘did’ and ‘had done’ are correct here, but there is no option that uses ‘had done’. So, the correct answer is option A.

Hope this helps! :)

Regards,
Deepak

egmat
Thank you for the thorough video explanation on this question. Can you further explain how a phrase cannot be parallel to a clause with another example? I researched further online for the differences between phrases and clauses, but I was confused by some of the grammar jargon that I came across. Thank you for your time and help.
Director
Director
Send PM
egmat wrote:
dqtuan9627 wrote:
I eliminate A because I though it should be "Between 1990 and 2000 the global economy grew more than it had done during the 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture"

Please tell me where I am wrong?

Hi dqtuan9627,

Let’s first understand the usage of the past perfect tense. The past perfect tense is used to represent an event that happened earlier in the past as compared to another event that took place later in the past. So, this tells us about the sequencing of the events: which event took place earlier and which took place later. Let’s take an example:

I had finished my assignment when he came to visit me.

The assignment was finished earlier. Later he came to visit me. Now, the same meaning can be conveyed by saying:

I finished my assignment before he came to visit me.

In this sentence, the past perfect tense is not used, but we still know which event happened earlier because ‘before’ tells us the sequencing. We can also say:

I had finished my assignment before he came to visit me.

So, when the sequencing of the events is clear from the context of the sentence, then using the past perfect tense becomes optional.

Now, coming to your question:

• Between 1990 and 2000
o the global economy grew more than
o it had done during the 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture to 1950.

As explained above, both ‘did’ and ‘had done’ are correct here, but there is no option that uses ‘had done’. So, the correct answer is option A.

Hope this helps! :)

Regards,
Deepak

egmat
I realize that you are supposed to pick on bigger issues than comma usage, but why is a comma not needed after "2000"?

Many thanks and Happy Holidays :)
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
woohoo921

There isn't really a solid set of rules on when a comma must be used. There are situations in which a comma is inappropriate; for instance, we can't join two independent clauses with just a comma, and we wouldn't put a comma directly between subject and verb. There are also situations in which a comma is typically used, and certainly we do usually see a comma after an initial modifier. However, if the intended meaning seems fairly clear, the GMAT may forgo the comma. Here, the initial modifier is quite short, and there's not much chance of misreading. In other cases, the GMAT may add a comma where it seems unneeded. This is often to improve the flow of the sentence, although not all of us may agree that the flow is really improved. ;)
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30791 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
woohoo921 wrote:
I realize that you are supposed to pick on bigger issues than comma usage, but why is a comma not needed after "2000"?

Many thanks and Happy Holidays :)

Hey woohoo921

Thank you for the wishes. Trust you enjoyed the holiday season as much as we did. Here's wishing you a stellar 2023!

You've asked yet another interesting question, and the answer eludes even the best minds out there. Allow me to help:

Rule of Thumb:
If the prepositional phrase at the start of a sentence is separated by a comma, it modifies the entire sentence; but, if it is not separated by a comma, it only modifies the verb.

Now, for many simple sentences, the presence or absence of a comma makes little difference to the meaning of the sentence. However, in certain complex cases, this distinction is very important and can effect the meaning of the sentence drastically.

Let's apply this rule to our official question to see whether this comma matters:

Application & Observations:
The first thing to notice here is that the prepositional phrase "between 1990 and 2000" is just a verb modifier. It only tells us the time of the action "grew". This can be easily understood if we rearrange the words in the sentence as so:
  • The global economy grew between 1990 and 2000...more than it grew during the 10,000 years...
Now, by placing this prepositional phrase at the start of the sentence without a comma, we're only maintaining its identity as a modifier of the verb 'grew'.

However, if we were to separate this phrase with a comma, it would modify the entire clause after the comma. We'd get:
  • Between 1990 and 2000, the global economy grew more than it did during the 10,000 years up till 1950.
Notice that, in this construct, we distort the meaning of the sentence and extend the influence of this phrase from the verb 'grew' to the end of the clause, which includes the 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture to 1950. This is both awkward and illogical.

So, this is certainly a case wherein it's more appropriate to leave out the comma.

Let's look at some examples in which placing the comma is appropriate:
  • On 10 May 1857, the sepoys at Meerut broke rank and turned on their commanding officers, killing some of them.
    • Notice how breaking rank, turning on, and killing all happen "on 10 May 1857.
  • In a royal proclamation made to the people of India, Queen Victoria promised equal opportunity of public service under British law, and also pledged to respect the rights of native princes.
    • Notice that both "promised" and "pledged" took place "in the royal proclamation".
  • By 1900, although the Congress had emerged as an all-India political organization, it did not have the support of most Indian Muslims.
    • Both events "'emerged" and "did not have the support" took place "by 1900".

I hope this helps improve your understanding of verb-modifier phrases and sentence-modifier phrases.

Happy learning!

Abhishek
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 496
Send PM
KarishmaB GMATNinja
I really get confused with the usage of "did"
1)Do we always need verb base form with did? - Did + base form

Here's my understanding for did usage
The first instance of the verb should usually match the helping verb in tense. If you need to change tenses, repeat the whole verb in the new tense.
Wrong: I have never seen an X, but last year my father did
Right: I have never seen an X, but last year my father saw one

In option A, we cannot say "Did grew", so how this usecase is correct?

Can you please share few examples to help me understand the usage of "do/does/did" ( all are forms of the verb to do) in comparison?
Most of the time we can omit few words in comparisons and I get confused which verb to put.

Thank you for your help.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63666 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sneha2021 wrote:
KarishmaB GMATNinja

I really get confused with the usage of "did"

1)Do we always need verb base form with did? - Did + base form

Here's my understanding for did usage

The first instance of the verb should usually match the helping verb in tense. If you need to change tenses, repeat the whole verb in the new tense.

Wrong: I have never seen an X, but last year my father did

Right: I have never seen an X, but last year my father saw one

In option A, we cannot say "Did grew", so how this usecase is correct?

Can you please share few examples to help me understand the usage of "do/does/did" ( all are forms of the verb to do) in comparison?

Most of the time we can omit few words in comparisons and I get confused which verb to put.

Thank you for your help.

In (A), "did" works kinda like a pronoun (or pro-verb? :think: )... so it's not that "grew" is omitted from (A). Rather, "grew" is replaced by the "did" ("... the global economy grew more than it grew during the 10,000 years...").

Could we use "grew" instead of "did" in (A)? Probably. But repeating the verb sounds a bit awkward, so we use the "did" instead (where the tense of "did" matches the tense of the verb it replaces).

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts