Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 20:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Between BA and PhD

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

What's the best way post BA path to a PhD?

You may select 1 option
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Between BA and PhD [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2007, 02:30
I'm going to school for my BA in accounting and supply and logistics management and my goal is to continue to a PhD in accounting. I'd like to improve my profile by doing some post grad coursework. Which would have the highest value:

NYU Stern's Pre-Doctoral Program: This has the advantage of being an individually tailored one year program, plus it would expose me to the east coast. However, it doesn't confer a degree and I'm not sure how it's regarded by other programs.

BYU's PhD Prep Track MAcc: I've heard excellent things about this program, but I'm concerned about it's length, cost, and cultural fit.

Other highly regarded MAcc/MPA Program ie USC or UT: These would likely provide some great networking opportunities, but I'm afraid they might duplicate my current coursework without providing the additional calculus, linear algebra and econometrics skills I need to develop.

Or, is there a better way I could spend a year or two after my BA to increase my chances of being admitted to a top program?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: Between BA and PhD [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2010, 23:02
This post received
KUDOS
Well, the answer to this question is really quite simple. BYU's program is simply the best option in terms of improving your profile and giving you value. However, that being said, there are definitely other things to consider like time, cost, coursework, culture, etc. Returning to value and improving your profile though, BYU would hands down be your best bet. Their accounting program is much better than Sterns and the other Macc programs won't allow you to prepare for a phd program much less provide support like BYU's program would. To note, Wikipedia noted that anyone seriously thinking about a phd in accounting should try going into their phd preparation program. The coursework will prepare you better as well. However, as mentioned by you and earlier in this post, you might want to consider other factors as well in making this decision. I would just say that NYU and the other two schools would definitely be the wrong choice if you were looking at value.
Re: Between BA and PhD   [#permalink] 14 Jan 2010, 23:02