Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 09 Jul 2014, 22:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Bias in the GMAT Prep Quant ?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
Bias in the GMAT Prep Quant ? [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2013, 00:32
Hello everyone!

I have run into something I am unable to explain and that even after searching online for it so I could really use some help here :) I have noticed that on the quant section of GMAT Prep although I answered almost all the questions correctly, I was still getting lots of 600 and even sub 600 questions...? As a result I got Q51 and this doesn't make much sense since was always getting in the Q45-Q47 range on MGMAT CAT's. So what is going on here is this normal on gmatprep (and hence on gmat) or did I my gmatprep program experience a glitch ?

This is an example of a question I received towards the end of the gmatprep test (total 5 mistakes most in the first half).

If 5^21 * 4^11 = 2 * 10^n , what is the value of N?

This seems to be barely even a 600 level question, so what is going on here?

Thanks a lot in advance, I really appreciate it!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1010

Kudos [?]: 4296 [0], given: 161

Re: Bias in the GMAT Prep Quant ? [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2013, 01:27
Expert's post
jeremystaub28 wrote:
Hello everyone!

I have run into something I am unable to explain and that even after searching online for it so I could really use some help here :) I have noticed that on the quant section of GMAT Prep although I answered almost all the questions correctly, I was still getting lots of 600 and even sub 600 questions...? As a result I got Q51 and this doesn't make much sense since was always getting in the Q45-Q47 range on MGMAT CAT's. So what is going on here is this normal on gmatprep (and hence on gmat) or did I my gmatprep program experience a glitch ?

This is an example of a question I received towards the end of the gmatprep test (total 5 mistakes most in the first half).

If 5^21 * 4^11 = 2 * 10^n , what is the value of N?

This seems to be barely even a 600 level question, so what is going on here?

Thanks a lot in advance, I really appreciate it!

You could get some low level questions in between even if you are doing really well. Probably to balance out the topics covered or something. Don't read too much into it. That is the reason you should not worry if you suddenly get some easy questions during the actual exam - it doesn't mean you messed up in the previous questions. If gmatprep gave you Q51, you will probably get in the Q49-51 range in the actual test. Keep practicing Quant and focus on Verbal.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 1

Re: Bias in the GMAT Prep Quant ? [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2013, 11:43
jeremystaub,

First, sometimes it is hard to know how difficult a particular question is, partly because we don't have the detailed statistics from the GMAT test writers on the question you received at the end of the test. I do know that most of my students struggle with that question under exam conditions, of course once one sees the solution it seems easy, however that is pretty much the case with the majority of GMAT questions.

Second, GMAT will sometimes give you an easier question at the end if you missed any easy/medium questions during the test. However, if you did not miss any easy/medium question and did reasonably well on the hard questions(say missing two or three of those), then your last seven questions will be pretty difficult. You do have to keep this in mind especially if you are targeting Q51. What this means is that keeping aside 2 min per question for the last 7 questions would not cut it for a high scorer. The only way to increase the average time per question for the last 7 questions is to do some of the easier/medium ones in 30 to 45 seconds.

And finally, CAT scores from test prep companies don't often correlate(in absolute terms) with actual GMAT scores. So I would just use them for qualitative purpose only.

Dabral

Free Video Explanations: OFFICIAL GUIDE GMAT 13, 12, 11, 10; QUANT REVIEW 2nd, 1st.

Re: Bias in the GMAT Prep Quant ?   [#permalink] 20 Apr 2013, 11:43