Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 05:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Big 4 Auditor - Should I consider getting an MBA?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Big 4 Auditor - Should I consider getting an MBA? [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 00:26
Hey everyone,

I am currently a senior auditor at one of the BIg 4 in San Francisco. Recently I have been considering getting an MBA but I am not sure if I really need one. Ideally I would like to get myself into some sort of consulting in the near future and I feel like getting an MBA would help.

I have talked it out with some of my peers and Undergrad business school buddies and they said there wouldn't be a point because I already have a masters degree (MPA - Masters of Professional Accountancy) and am also CPA certified. I don't see myself staying in the Big 4 forever just like many of the other people I work with and other people I have known that have worked in the Big 4 so I would like to have some sort of exit opportunity to do so.

With this I was wondering would an MBA help me for my future or would it be a "waste" like my co-workers and classmates have said. Also how are Big 4 employers (specifcially auditors) looked upon when it comes to admissions? I was looking at feeder schools into T7 B-Schools and Big 4 were pretty high up there but from this forum and others it doesn't sound pretty respectable/competitive enough for top business schools because the IBankers and Consultants always and definitely have the upper hand. So where do we exactly "rank" in the eyes of Top MBA adcoms?

Any help/advice/suggestions/feedback would be greatly appreciated
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

Re: Big 4 Auditor - Should I consider getting an MBA? [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 02:28
Thanks for your posting.

First of all, you have to really define what you want to do in the future. If you want to stay working in audit/consulting in a Big-4 environment the rest of your career, then either not getting an MBA degree or getting one part-time might be a better strategy. However, if you want to pursue a new career, then I would recommend returning to school full-time and making the transition before you are perceived (as what I call) a permanent accountant.

As for how accountants are received in business school admissions -- first of all it is a very competitive demographic. Being that it is a fairly traditional and very common career path, many accountants apply. The good news is also that many accountants get admitted to top programs especially if you are able to distinguish yourself from the masses in your application. This is where it gets a bit tricky and you have to be extremely strategic about how you present yourself. Also, you have to be strategic about which schools you apply to - as some are much more open to your profession than others.

Good luck.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Call for a free candidacy assessment.

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Big 4 Auditor - Should I consider getting an MBA? [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 23:34
Thank You Manhattan Review! Would appreciate any other feedback and help!
Re: Big 4 Auditor - Should I consider getting an MBA?   [#permalink] 23 May 2013, 23:34