Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 20:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Big 4 Internships

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Big 4 Internships [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2011, 21:30
I'm planning on applying for a Macc degree this coming fall. I graduated cum laude from Ole Miss with a degree in Political Science aspiring to attend law school after a year off. However, after lots of consideration I've decided to pursue a career in accounting instead. I minored in accounting, doing well and enjoying it surprisingly. I'm specifically looking to apply to schools in the southeastern U.S. because there are a few that do not require a huge amount of prerequisite business courses that I don't want to have to take before I start the Macc.

Wake Forest is the school I'm really focused on trying to get into right now because of their 3-semester program that provides for a 10-week "busy season" internship during the second semester of studies. I'm wondering about how location preference plays into the recruitment for Big 4 internships.

I don't particularly want to intern around North Carolina, because I don't want to live there after I graduate; and I've been led to believe that whichever city you intern at (especially at a Big 4 firm), that's where you are expected to start working if you are fortunate enough to be given an offer for full time employment at the end of the internship. I know several people at Ole Miss who did undergrad acct. and interned in cities all over the southeast including Charlotte, Atlanta, etc. If I were to request an office in another area of the country (with reason), would it matter to recruiters?
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 685 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Big 4 Internships [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2011, 13:19
At most big accounting schools (where it is designated as target or key schools for recruiting), you will have the option of applying for a position in the regional office or national office (NYC for most Big 4 firms). You just have to make sure that you will be applying to the right internship/job posting for OCR when applying (hint - you will see same Staff Audit Posting but one will be titled National Office or something similar and another will be titled Regional; for example, in NYC, regional recruiting is labeled metro-something or northeast recruiting)

A former member of this forum went to Wake forest and he/she indicated that she had the option of recruiting for either NYC or regional office from Wake Forest.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Big 4 Internships   [#permalink] 06 Feb 2011, 13:19