Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:45 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [29]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [11]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [2]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Re: Bill Clinton [#permalink]
Kudos
Thabk wrote:
I picked right answer, but I am trying to understand the structure of the question.

Can someone please point to the main clause , subordinate clause and the role of 'and' that make ...

'and' - coordinating conjunction joins a list or two main clauses.
Does that imply ... 'and' that make ..is a main clause ?

Main clause: Bill Clinton showed great sagacity and insight of economic judgment

Subordinate clause 1: that could entitle him to be considered one of the greatest post-war Presidents of the US
Subordinate clause 2: that make his tenure the most prosperous era of the country.

clauses 1 and 2 are parallel.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
I am between A and C. I still like A the best. C just seems to wordy for me
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2946 [1]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hey daagh,

Nice work on the explanation, but I'll suggest that you do them in the alternate order. Subject-verb agreement should be a pretty convenient decision point for you, particularly when the difference is between the last word of each answer choice:

makes
make
makes
make
makes

You know that you're making a singular/plural decision with "make(s" here, so let's look at what is doing the "making". It has to be the sagacity and insight - a compound, and therefore plural, subject. Your other options as nouns are:

Economic judgment (which is part of a modifier leading with "of", so it's not the subject)
Bill Clinton (but his other verb, "showed", is past-tense so it wouldn't match with "makes", and the compound noun is structured with "that" to be the new subject)

So we know that with a plural subject we need "make" to be the verb, and that gets us right down to B and D.

Now we have:

"considered one of the greatest"
"regarded like one of the greatest..."

"like" means "similar to", so the logic of sentence D is incorrect - he's not regarded "similar to" a great President or "as if he were" a great President, he's regarded as, or considered, a great President. Now that we're done with the major S-V error, the more minor idiomatic feel/meaning error is hopefully easier to spot.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thabk wrote:
Thanks pkit
+1 kudos

Glad to help you :)
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Bill Clinton showed great sagacity and insight of economic [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
arya251294 wrote:
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
Hey daagh,

Nice work on the explanation, but I'll suggest that you do them in the alternate order. Subject-verb agreement should be a pretty convenient decision point for you, particularly when the difference is between the last word of each answer choice:

makes
make
makes
make
makes

You know that you're making a singular/plural decision with "make(s" here, so let's look at what is doing the "making". It has to be the sagacity and insight - a compound, and therefore plural, subject. Your other options as nouns are:

Economic judgment (which is part of a modifier leading with "of", so it's not the subject)
Bill Clinton (but his other verb, "showed", is past-tense so it wouldn't match with "makes", and the compound noun is structured with "that" to be the new subject)

So we know that with a plural subject we need "make" to be the verb, and that gets us right down to B and D.

Now we have:

"like" means "similar to", so the logic of sentence D is incorrect - he's not regarded "similar to" a great President or "as if he were" a great President, he's regarded as, or considered, a great President. Now that we're done with the major S-V error, the more minor idiomatic feel/meaning error is hopefully easier to spot.

Is it like that could entitle and that [could] make?

Hello arya251294,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, the correct construction here does not include a hidden "could" before the verb "make", as the meaning of the sentence is that Clinton's "great sagacity and insight of economic judgment" practically make his tenure the most prosperous era of the country.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Entrepreneuship- Sustainable Manufacturing
Schools:Admitted: IESE($$),HEC, RSM,Esade
 Q43  V27 GMAT 2: 700  Q45  V41
GPA: 2.1
WE 1: 3.5 years international
Send PM
daagh wrote:
Bill Clinton showed great sagacity and insight of economic judgment that could entitle him to be considered as one of the greatest post-war Presidents of the US and that makes his tenure the most prosperous era of the country.

(A) him to be considered as one of the greatest post-war Presidents of the US, and that makes
(B) him to be considered one of the greatest post-war Presidents of the US, and that make
© him to be considered to be one of the greatest post-war Presidents of the US, and that makes
(D) him to be regarded like one of the greatest post-war Presidents of the US, and that make
(E) him to be regarded one among the greatest post-war Presidents of the US, and that makes

C it is. I really like A but I think "consider as" is unidiomatic.
A- Considered as is the incorrect idiom on the GMAT as it doesn't like the use of consider+as. In any case, its use is declining in contemporary English.
B- Incorrect because of the subject-verb disareement- "make" should be "makes".
D- "Regarded like" is incorrect
E- Regard should be followed by as.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Entrepreneuship- Sustainable Manufacturing
Schools:Admitted: IESE($$),HEC, RSM,Esade
 Q43  V27 GMAT 2: 700  Q45  V41
GPA: 2.1
WE 1: 3.5 years international
Send PM
daagh wrote:
C is not the answer

Another tricky question. Guess C is incorrect because it uses the verb form "to be" twice which makes the sentence redundant.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I am still waiting for the OA. Does anybody know it?
I would also be for A, but I'm not 100% sure.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Send PM
Bill Clinton showed great sagacity and insight of economic judgment that could entitle him to be considered as one of the greatest post-war Presidents of the US and that makes his tenure the most prosperous era of the country.

(A) him to be considered as one of the greatest post-war Presidents of the US, and that makes
(B) him to be considered one of the greatest post-war Presidents of the US, and that make
© him to be considered to be one of the greatest post-war Presidents of the US, and that makes
(D) him to be regarded like one of the greatest post-war Presidents of the US, and that make
(E) him to be regarded one among the greatest post-war Presidents of the US, and that makes

Usage of idioms considered __ and regarded as is tested here.
A, C, D, E are out for wrong idioms.
in B the idiom is correct and parallelism is maintained.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
I picked right answer, but I am trying to understand the structure of the question.

Can someone please point to the main clause , subordinate clause and the role of 'and' that make ...

'and' - coordinating conjunction joins a list or two main clauses.
Does that imply ... 'and' that make ..is a main clause ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Send PM
Thanks to all for really good explanations.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 943 [0]
Given Kudos: 410
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
daagh wrote:

Considered as and considered to be are both wrong on the GMAT as per the OG explanations!!

Moreover , the SV error can easily be spotted in A,C,E
"great sagacity and insight of economic judgment"= that , will take a singular verb -make

So , B is correct.

Regarded like and regarded one are both un-idomatic...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Send PM
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
Hey daagh,

makes
make
makes
make
makes

Now we have:

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Send PM
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
arya251294 wrote:
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
Hey daagh,

makes
make
makes
make
makes

Now we have:

Hello arya251294,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, the correct construction here does not include a hidden "could" before the verb "make", as the meaning of the sentence is that Clinton's "great sagacity and insight of economic judgment" practically make his tenure the most prosperous era of the country.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Ohh now I get it, thanks a lot for the quick reply.
Kudos
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts