Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2015, 02:39
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Bill has a small deck of 12 playing cards made up of only 2

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Aug 2007
Posts: 170
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Bill has a small deck of 12 playing cards made up of only 2 [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2007, 12:16
This topic is locked. If you want to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum.

Bill has a small deck of 12 playing cards made up of only 2 suits of 6 cards each. Each of the 6 cards within a suit has a different value from 1 to 6; thus, there are 2 cards in the deck that have the same value.

Bill likes to play a game in which he shuffles the deck, turns over 4 cards, and looks for pairs of cards that have the same value. What is the chance that Bill finds at least one pair of cards that have the same value?


8/33

62/165

17/33

103/165

25/33
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Posts: 1146
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2007, 12:31
I'm getting 17/33

1*10/11*8/10*6/9 = 48/99

1-48/99 = 1-16/33 = 17/33

1 ---> choosing any card

10/11 ---> not choosing his pair out of 11 cards.

8/10 ---> now you have two cards. not choosing their pairs.

6/9 ---> you have choosen three cards ! not choosing their pairs.

:)
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2007
Posts: 38
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2007, 14:40
nice explanation killersquirrel.

im convinced of 17/33 as well
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 2760
Location: New York City
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 420 [0], given: 4

 [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2007, 07:31
KillerSquirrel wrote:
I'm getting 17/33

1*10/11*8/10*6/9 = 48/99

1-48/99 = 1-16/33 = 17/33

1 ---> choosing any card

10/11 ---> not choosing his pair out of 11 cards.

8/10 ---> now you have two cards. not choosing their pairs.

6/9 ---> you have choosen three cards ! not choosing their pairs.

:)


How would your answer change it it said at least TWO pairs will the same value?
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Posts: 1146
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2007, 08:09
bmwhype2 wrote:
KillerSquirrel wrote:
I'm getting 17/33

1*10/11*8/10*6/9 = 48/99

1-48/99 = 1-16/33 = 17/33

1 ---> choosing any card

10/11 ---> not choosing his pair out of 11 cards.

8/10 ---> now you have two cards. not choosing their pairs.

6/9 ---> you have choosen three cards ! not choosing their pairs.

:)


How would your answer change it it said at least TWO pairs will the same value?


Since you have four cards the most you can have is two pairs (can never get three pairs in four cards !!) so you really ask for "what is the probability for him to choose two pairs" (i.e 2,2 and 4,4).

(1*1/11*1*1/9) + (1*10/11*2/10*1/9) + (1*1/11*1*1/9) = 1/99 + 2/99 + 1/99 = 4/99

:)
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Jul 2007
Posts: 182
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2007, 14:02
KillerSquirrel wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:
KillerSquirrel wrote:
I'm getting 17/33

1*10/11*8/10*6/9 = 48/99

1-48/99 = 1-16/33 = 17/33

1 ---> choosing any card

10/11 ---> not choosing his pair out of 11 cards.

8/10 ---> now you have two cards. not choosing their pairs.

6/9 ---> you have choosen three cards ! not choosing their pairs.

:)


How would your answer change it it said at least TWO pairs will the same value?


Since you have four cards the most you can have is two pairs (can never get three pairs in four cards !!) so you really ask for "what is the probability for him to choose two pairs" (i.e 2,2 and 4,4).

(1*1/11*1*1/9) + (1*10/11*2/10*1/9) + (1*1/11*1*1/9) = 1/99 + 2/99 + 1/99 = 4/99

:)


Why the 2nd ((1*1/11*1*1/9))?
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Posts: 1146
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2007, 11:52
Skewed wrote:
KillerSquirrel wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:
KillerSquirrel wrote:
I'm getting 17/33

1*10/11*8/10*6/9 = 48/99

1-48/99 = 1-16/33 = 17/33

1 ---> choosing any card

10/11 ---> not choosing his pair out of 11 cards.

8/10 ---> now you have two cards. not choosing their pairs.

6/9 ---> you have choosen three cards ! not choosing their pairs.

:)


How would your answer change it it said at least TWO pairs will the same value?


Since you have four cards the most you can have is two pairs (can never get three pairs in four cards !!) so you really ask for "what is the probability for him to choose two pairs" (i.e 2,2 and 4,4).

(1*1/11*1*1/9) + (1*10/11*2/10*1/9) + (1*1/11*1*1/9) = 1/99 + 2/99 + 1/99 = 4/99

:)


Why the 2nd ((1*1/11*1*1/9))?


Assume

2 - 2 - 4 - 4

or

2 - 4 - 4 - 2

or

4 - 4 - 2 - 2

:)
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Jul 2007
Posts: 182
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2007, 14:55
But there are 6 variations of 2 2's and 2 4's.
2244
2424
2442
4422
4242
4224

4!/(2!2!)=6

Why are only 3 listed?
  [#permalink] 16 Dec 2007, 14:55
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Bill has a small deck of 12 playing cards made up of only 2

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.