Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:02 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618751 [14]
Given Kudos: 81587
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 58
Concentration: Marketing, Statistics
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [2]
Given Kudos: 195
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: Bill Walton continued on playing, even though he had injuries that rec [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
devavrat wrote:
Is "continued on playing" wrong usage in this sentence?
I feel "he continued playing" shows present continuous tense while the remaining part of the sentence is not in the present

Pls can someone explain
I marked option D
The present continuous would have looked something like this: is (or am or are) continuing. The verb in continued playing is continued (past tense).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
GMAT 1: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 3: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Bill Walton continued on playing, even though he had injuries that rec [#permalink]
GMATNinja can you please explain this question. Down to B and C.. whats the right rule for inspite of
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [0]
Given Kudos: 126
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Bill Walton continued on playing, even though he had injuries that recurred over and over again, always hoping to return back to his position as a regular starter in the game he loved.

(A) on playing, even though he had injuries that recurred over and over again, always hoping to return back
(B) playing, in spite of recurrent injuries, always hoping to return
(C) playing, though injured over and over, and he was always hoping to return back
(D) on playing, even with injuries that recurred, and always hoped to return
(E) to play, despite recurring injuries, hoping that the return

Got confused over B) and D). Chose D) because of the structural reason mentioned below.
Can someone elaborate?

I see, that in D) we have "... continued on ...". Am i correct that this is redundant? Continue alone would suffice i guess.

But i also think that B) is not as asthetic as it could be. B) didn't convince me, since it feels like "..., always hoping to return" is intended to modify the action that "Bill Walton continued playing".
The part with "always hoping to return" could be closer to the part with "Bill Walton continued playing". Since this is the intended Meaning in my opinion, i found B) structurally not correct per se.
Because it would have been much more concise if it were formulated like this for example: "In spite of recurrent injuries, Bill Walton continued playing, always hoping to return back to his position as a regular starter in the game he loved."
Am i on the right track?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 363
Schools: IE
Send PM
may Experts help explaining why B is correct not C?

Neuto123 wrote:
GMATNinja can you please explain
this question. Down to B and C.. whats the right rule for inspite of
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7625 [4]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos