Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 01:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Biographer: Arnold s belief that every offer of assistance

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Biographer: Arnold s belief that every offer of assistance [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2005, 16:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Biographer: Arnold’s belief that every offer of assistance on the part of his colleagues was a disguised attempt to make him look inadequate and that no expression of congratulations on his promotion should be taken at face value may seem irrational. In fact, this belief was a consequence of his early experiences with an admired older sister who always made fun of his ambitions and achievements. In light of this explanation, therefore, Arnold’s stubborn belief that his colleagues were duplicitous emerges as clearly justified.

The flawed reasoning in the biographer’s argument is most similar to that in which one of the following?

(A) The fact that top executives generally have much larger vocabularies than do their subordinates explains why Sheldon’s belief, instilled in him during his childhood, that developing a large vocabulary is the way to get to the top in the world of business is completely justified.

(B) Emily suspected that apples are unhealthy ever since she almost choked to death while eating an apple when she was a child. Now, evidence that apples treated with certain pesticides can be health hazards shows that Emily’s long-held belief is fully justified.

(C) As a child. Joan was severely punished whenever she played with her father’s prize Siamese cat. Therefore, since this information makes her present belief that cats are not good pets completely understandable, that belief is justified.

(D) Studies show that when usually well-behaved children become irritable, they often exhibit symptoms of viral infections the next day. The suspicion, still held by many adults, that misbehavior must always be paid for is thus both explained and justified.

(E) Sumayia’s father and mother were both concert pianists, and as a child, Sumayia knew several other people trying to make careers as musicians. Thus Sumayia’s opinion that her friend Anthony lacks the drive to be a successful pianist is undoubtedly justified.

Do let us know the time you took to solve this.
Question - Are such questions common in GMAT? Thanks!

Cheers, Rahul.

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2005, 18:57
B looks best.

The argument says about some belief/suspicion that is not known to be true, yet. Then, relates some irrelevant stuff to this belief. Due to this relation, concludes that the belief/suspicion is true.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2005, 20:31
I think it's C. Someone's previous experience is used to justify his related general belief (which is not necessarily true).
I think B goes too far by trying to justify the general belief scientifically by providing facts.
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck'08
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2005, 22:37
this one is though for me. I would have chosen C on the test day
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2005, 00:12
go C go...
SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2005, 00:58
tough one stuck between B and C.

On the exam day probably I will choose B.

It took me around 3 minutes.

hey ya......

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Biographers argument! [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2005, 07:26
I would have chosen B.

Interested in what the OA and OE are...

rahulraao wrote:
Biographer: Arnold’s belief that every offer of assistance on the part of his colleagues was a disguised attempt to make him look inadequate and that no expression of congratulations on his promotion should be taken at face value may seem irrational. In fact, this belief was a consequence of his early experiences with an admired older sister who always made fun of his ambitions and achievements. In light of this explanation, therefore, Arnold’s stubborn belief that his colleagues were duplicitous emerges as clearly justified.

The flawed reasoning in the biographer’s argument is most similar to that in which one of the following?

(A) The fact that top executives generally have much larger vocabularies than do their subordinates explains why Sheldon’s belief, instilled in him during his childhood, that developing a large vocabulary is the way to get to the top in the world of business is completely justified.

(B) Emily suspected that apples are unhealthy ever since she almost choked to death while eating an apple when she was a child. Now, evidence that apples treated with certain pesticides can be health hazards shows that Emily’s long-held belief is fully justified.

(C) As a child. Joan was severely punished whenever she played with her father’s prize Siamese cat. Therefore, since this information makes her present belief that cats are not good pets completely understandable, that belief is justified.

(D) Studies show that when usually well-behaved children become irritable, they often exhibit symptoms of viral infections the next day. The suspicion, still held by many adults, that misbehavior must always be paid for is thus both explained and justified.

(E) Sumayia’s father and mother were both concert pianists, and as a child, Sumayia knew several other people trying to make careers as musicians. Thus Sumayia’s opinion that her friend Anthony lacks the drive to be a successful pianist is undoubtedly justified.

Do let us know the time you took to solve this.
Question - Are such questions common in GMAT? Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2005, 07:33
I choose C...(yaa 2.5 min atleast)

Fear Mediocrity, Respect Ignorance

SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2005, 07:51
Between B and C, I choose C.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2005, 08:23
I will go for B. 3 minutes
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2005, 09:36
B 2 mins
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2005, 15:19
OA is C! I took almost 3 min for this!

Cheers, Rahul.

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2005, 19:31
Anyone who chose C, can you explain how you analyzed it? IT was pretty tough for me!

Cheers, Rahul.

[#permalink] 13 Oct 2005, 19:31