Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 12:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Birds need so much food energy to maintain their body

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Birds need so much food energy to maintain their body [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2004, 09:57
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (02:02) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
Birds need so much food energy to maintain their body temperatures that some of them spend most of their time eating. But a comparison of a bird of a seed-eating species to a bird of a nectar-eating species that has the same overall energy requirement would surely show that the seed-eating bird spends more time eating than does the nectar-eating bird, since a given amount of nectar provides more energy than does the same amount of seeds
The argument relies on which one of the following questionable assumptions
(A) Birds of different species do not generally have the same overall energy requirements as each other
(B) The nectar-eating bird does not sometimes also eat seeds
(C) The time it takes for the nectar-eating bird to eat a given amount of nectar is not longer than the time it takes the seed-eating bird to eat the same amount of seeds
(D) The seed-eating bird does not have a lower body temperature than that of the nectar-eating bird
(E) The overall energy requirements of a given bird do not depend on factors such as the size of the bird, its nest-building habits; and the climate of the region in which it lives
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2004, 10:44
About 2 min. I'll go with C and explain a bit later

Best Regards,

Paul

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2004, 10:52
A) This contradicts the premise and is a given, not an assumption
Quote:
a comparison of a bird of a seed-eating species to a bird of a nectar-eating species that has the same overall energy requirement

B) out of scope
C) Although nectar gives more energy, if it takes nectar eating birds more time to eat, how can we say that those nectar-birds spend less time eating?
D) This is given by the premise and is NOT an assumption:
Quote:
a comparison of a bird of a seed-eating species to a bird of a nectar-eating species that has the same overall energy requirement

same overall energy req. = same body temperature
E) out of scope

Best Regards,

Paul

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2004, 11:01
boksana: assuming that your "OK" doesn't necessarily mean that Paul's answer is correct, my answer to this would be D

Paul, as per your logic, even A should be correct. Essentially you are negating what is stated in the question and so does A!

The questions wants us to identify a "questionable assumption" which I think means that it is an explicit assumption made in the argument but is questionable based on "I don't know what!"

1 min 48s (hope it is not down the drain!)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2004, 11:22
OA is C
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2004, 12:10
Well my FA was also D. C was equally near.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2004, 22:47
i think D is Out of scope her.

I believe C is the best answer. i agree with paul explanation.

saymee
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: CR Birds [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2004, 02:08
Hi All,

In retrospect, the answer C looks like an inference. It does not look like an assumption(unstated premise/evidence).

The argument clearly states that the seed-eating bird spends more time eating than does the nectar-eating bird.

Tha answer C says that The time it takes for the nectar-eating bird to eat a given amount of nectar is not longer than the time it takes the seed-eating bird to eat the same amount of seeds

Thus, C is just a paraphrase of the above sentence in the argument. A paraphrase can be an inference but not an assumption.

Do let me know your views. Probably, I might be 'out of scope'.

boksana wrote:
Birds need so much food energy to maintain their body temperatures that some of them spend most of their time eating. But a comparison of a bird of a seed-eating species to a bird of a nectar-eating species that has the same overall energy requirement would surely show that the seed-eating bird spends more time eating than does the nectar-eating bird, since a given amount of nectar provides more energy than does the same amount of seeds
The argument relies on which one of the following questionable assumptions
(A) Birds of different species do not generally have the same overall energy requirements as each other
(B) The nectar-eating bird does not sometimes also eat seeds
(C) The time it takes for the nectar-eating bird to eat a given amount of nectar is not longer than the time it takes the seed-eating bird to eat the same amount of seeds
(D) The seed-eating bird does not have a lower body temperature than that of the nectar-eating bird
(E) The overall energy requirements of a given bird do not depend on factors such as the size of the bird, its nest-building habits; and the climate of the region in which it lives

Awaiting response,

Thnx & Rgds,
Chandra

Re: CR Birds   [#permalink] 08 Jul 2004, 02:08