Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:49 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2900 [651]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 299 [135]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [107]
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [66]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Send PM
Re: Building large new hospitals in the bistate area would constitute a wa [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
gmataspirant2009 wrote:
184. Building large new hospitals in the bistate area would constitute a wasteful use of resources, on the basis of avoidance of duplicated facilities alone.
(A) on the basis of avoidance of duplicated facilities alone
(B) on the grounds of avoiding duplicated facilities alone
(C) solely in that duplicated facilities should be avoided
(D) while the duplication of facilities should be avoided
(E) if only because the duplication of facilities should be avoided

There are quite some reasons why E is correct:
Reason#1 : Presence of comma which calls for a clause to explain the cause of non underlined sentence. We dont need that comma if we are using phrases "on the basis of ..." or "on the grounds of ...". This is a good enough reason to kick A and B out.

Reason#2 : It is typical cause-effect scenario where battle between "in that" and "because" happens. Spideys notes does say that "in that" (as in C) is mostly correct, but it is not so. This is a typical example of that. If any time, a "why" needs to be addressed, we have to use a "because" and that is what E does. So C is gone.

Reason#3 : Idiom to be crammed "if only because" :( Even I learnt it hard way.
"If only" is an addendum to "because" which specifies that there is no other reason apart from this reason.

Jack ate the last cookie if only because he wanted to wash the plate.
Jack ate the last cookie because he wanted to wash the plate.

The difference is that the second sentence leaves out the idea that the only reason for eating the cookie was to wash the plate. It also leaves out that certain stylistic 'something' that the first has. The reason in the first sentence has a certain subtractive value, whereas the reason in the second has additive value. In the first sentence, but only because might replace if only because. In the second sentence, one can easily imagine extending the thought with further reasons: because ... and because ... and because ...

Once you know Reason#3, it is flat E.

But even if you know only Reason#1 and 2, you should be able to get rid of A,B, and C. Usage of while is really bad in D to kick it out.

HTH
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [48]
Given Kudos: 500
Re: Building large new hospitals in the bistate area would constitute a wa [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
crackGMAT760 wrote:
Hi Verbal Expert, I find this question extremely vague and even after spending 10 minutes trying to understand the answer options, I could make out the only difference between OA and the other options is the idiomatic phrase 'if only'. Could you please help me with more areas of how I can eliminate the other answer options. Also, do such questions come in the GMAT?
I would really appreciate your help! Thanks in advance! :)

Hello, crackGMAT760. I am sorry to hear that you downed 10 minutes on this question, but at the same time, I am glad that you are willing to put in the time to understand the question. To answer your second question first (before I forget), this was an official question at one point in time, but I doubt it would appear as such on the GMAT™ today, since, as EducationAisle has pointed out above, GMAC™ itself seems to have reversed its position on testing the idiom if only, calling it stilted and overly formal. As for my own approach, I did not use idioms as a guide to point to the correct answer, but I answered (E) in 46 seconds. The reason is that if you read duplicated facilities in choices (A), (B), and (C) in a literal sense, you will interpret the modifier to mean, facilities that have been duplicated. That might sound innocent enough, but it is the action of duplicating facilities that the sentence seems to be passing judgment on. In other words, there is no problem with stepping foot inside a facility that is identical to another, but duplicating facilities, building facilities that are the same (perhaps in both form and function), is shunned here, and choice (E) indicates further that such duplication should be avoided on principle alone (if only because). Meanwhile, choice (D) opts for an unqualified while, which in the context of the rest of the sentence suggests although. Since we are told that the duplication of facilities should be avoided, a negative, we would expect the first half of the sentence to deliver a positive element to serve as a contrast, but all we see is another negative: a wasteful use of resources. Thus, in terms of meaning, choice (E) is the only justifiable answer. In short:

spriya wrote:
Building large new hospitals in the bistate area would constitute a wasteful use of resources, on the basis of avoidance of duplicated facilities alone.

I hope that helps. If you have further questions, feel free to ask. Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1129 [20]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
The way I approached this is that you have a conditional uncertainity in 1st clause "would" which depends of sth that "should happen". When ever you have uncertain words (may, might, should, would, can , could), always make sure that the answer choice you are choosing is not distorting the meaning by make sth 'hypothetical' to 'actual'.

After this we are left with C, D and E. C and D is again not a clear contruction.

Again: 'IF' and 'would' SHOULD not come in same clause (if they are scratch that answer choice). But it is OK to have 'em in different clause. Also if you take a close look, this is a typical IF...then condition scentence. Using IF is ok here.

Hope this help
Thanks[/quote]

Good explanation rao_1857. Kudos for you.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [5]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
spriya wrote:
Building large new hospitals in the bistate area would constitute a wasteful use of resources, on the basis of avoidance of duplicated facilities alone.

I dont understand the OA at all
share explanations

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of this sentence is that building large new hospitals in the bistate area would constitute a wasteful use of resources, if for no other reason than the fact that the duplication of facilities should be avoided.

• “in that” is used to reflect an intrinsic property, and “because” is used to indicate a cause-effect relationship.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Idioms + Redundancy/Awkwardness

A: Trap. This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "avoidance of duplicated facilities"; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that building large new hospitals in the bistate area would constitute a wasteful use of resources because facilities that have already been duplicated should be avoided; the intended meaning of the sentence is that building large new hospitals in the bistate area would constitute a wasteful use of resources, if for no other reason than the fact that the duplication of facilities should be avoided. Further, Option A uses the needlessly indirect construction "on the basis of avoidance of duplicated facilities alone", leading to awkwardness.

B: Trap. This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "avoiding duplicated facilities"; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that building large new hospitals in the bistate area would constitute a wasteful use of resources because facilities that have already been duplicated should be avoided; the intended meaning of the sentence is that building large new hospitals in the bistate area would constitute a wasteful use of resources, if for no other reason than the fact that the duplication of facilities should be avoided. Further, Option B uses the needlessly indirect construction "on the grounds of avoiding duplicated facilities alone", leading to awkwardness.

C: Trap. This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase “solely in that duplicated facilities”; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that building large new hospitals in the bistate area would constitute a wasteful use of resources only because facilities that have already been duplicated should be avoided; the intended meaning of the sentence is that building large new hospitals in the bistate area would constitute a wasteful use of resources, if for no other reason than the fact that the duplication of facilities should be avoided. Additionally, Option C incorrectly uses “in that” rather than “because” to refer to a cause-effect relationship; please remember, “in that” is used to reflect an intrinsic property, and “because” is used to indicate a cause-effect relationship.

D: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase “while the duplication of facilities should be avoided”; the use of “while” conveys a sense of concurrence, incorrectly implying that building large new hospitals in the bistate area would constitute a wasteful use of resources during the time period wherein the duplication of facilities should be avoided; the intended meaning of the sentence is that building large new hospitals in the bistate area would constitute a wasteful use of resources, if for no other reason than the fact that the duplication of facilities should be avoided.

E: Correct. This answer choice correctly uses the phrase “if only because the duplication of facilities should be avoided", conveying the intended meaning - that building large new hospitals in the bistate area would constitute a wasteful use of resources, if for no other reason than the fact that the duplication of facilities should be avoided. Further, Option E correctly uses “because” to refer to a cause-effect relationship. Additionally, Option E is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

Hence, E is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Because" vs "In That" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
C, D and E are wrong - the reason needs to be there, and like it has been mentioned, after the comma, it should be "on the...
For that B is the most appropriate. What is the OA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 299 [7]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
spriya wrote:

I dont understand the OA at all
share explanations

IMO E. "If" is ok here because its a different clause.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [17]
Given Kudos: 11
 Q49  V34
GPA: 3.61
WE 1: 6 years - Telecom
Send PM
Kudos