Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 04:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Bitter Sweet: GMAT score 640 Q48 V30

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Bitter Sweet: GMAT score 640 Q48 V30 [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2007, 11:20
I am glad I am finally done with my GMAT exam. In a strage way I am glad to have gotten this score but a bit disappointed that I couldn't do any better. I have always been strong in quantitative and I am not surprised about the results. However, I have put in so much time improving my verbal and I am not convinced that I am better off now that I was before I did all that prep work.

GMAT prep 1: 640
GMAT prep 2: 690.

So, GMAT prep scores are very much an indication of my actual score. I could be wrong but whatever you get on the GMAT prep will be a good indicator of your final score. I did few of the Kaplan CATS and got smoked. It's somewhat discouraging but if it does add any value, it desensitize you to the types of questions you will see on the atual test day. Kaplan questions are way harder and you will be releived to see easier questions on the actual test. So, if you doing great on Kaplan CATS, then you are doing just fine. Aside from that, it's important to do as much practise as possible but important thing is go and really understand why you got a question right or wrong. I made the mistake of going to quantity vs. quality. Gotta go..will write more about the experiece a bit later.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2007, 11:28
yeh, keep ur score if ur r happy with it. good score

good luck
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

More lessons learned [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2007, 09:19
Back to give you what i have learned throughtout the experience and hopefully this will help you out.

As someone else mentioned in one of the other posts, do more CATS or tests on computer to get used to prepare yourself for the actual test. I made the mistake of doing alot of paper based tests and when put in front of computer, I kept getting distracted.

I used OC11, Princeton review and Kaplan test for my preparation. I found Kaplan to be useless and repeat of Princeton. Princeton has a good template for the AWA and the verbal section is good enough. OG11 has good coverage for the Q section. Study and memorize all the math rules in OG and do all the questions presented in OG for PS and DS. Once you know the rules, then it's just a matter of putting it altogether. For instance, one of the question I got was based on a familiar triangle (13,12,5). If I didn't memorize those dimensions, I could have figured it out by pythagorean theorem and that would have chewed at least a minute. So, it's beneficial to learn and memorize those rules.

As for Verbal section, I found Princeton had the most coverage among the materials that I used. I didn't have much problem with CR as it's logic and either you get the logic or don't. Read the contend see how you can strengthen, weaken or the missing assumption. Someone can try to convince me otherwise but with CR, either you get it or you don't. Read the all the answer choices carefully and I found it by elimating the irrelevant options, you can narrow your answer choice.

You can improve alot on the SC section but again it's how good you are in memorizing rules. I think I improved a bit but the questions that I got on the exam were very difficult and I had a hard time with them. Learn the rules and try to spot as many mistakes as possible.

As for RC, I am not convinced you can do much improvement here either. When you read the article, read it actively, thus improving your retention. After that, it's just matter of you getting the question right based on your instincts and the level of comprehension. I always got screwed when it came to "authors intent", "What will the author agrees with the most"...things that make you infer.

In summary, IMO you can improve on SC and Q for sure. Aside from that, do as many computer based tests as possible and give it your best shot. I made the mistake of studying till the last minute and draining myself. So, relax and enjoy your experience. You will amazed how well you will do once you start to relax. Hope this helps.
More lessons learned   [#permalink] 12 Nov 2007, 09:19