Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 02:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Black Americans are, on the whole, about twice as likely as

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [2] , given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Black Americans are, on the whole, about twice as likely as [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2012, 13:41
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (03:03) correct 54% (02:04) wrong based on 323 sessions
Black Americans are, on the whole, about twice as likely as White Americans to develop high blood pressure. This likelihood also holds for Westernized Black Africans when compared to White Africans.
Researchers have hypothesized that this predisposition in westernized blacks may reflect an interaction between western high-salt diets and genes that adapted to environmental scarcity of salt.
Which of the following statements about present-day, westernized black Africans, if true, would most tend to confirm the researchers hypothesis?

a) The blood pressures of those descended from peoples situated throughout their history in Senegal and Gambia, where salt was always available, are low.

b) The usually high salt consumption in certain areas of Africa represents a serious health problem.

c) Because of their blood pressure levels, most White Africans have markedly decreased their salt consumption.

d) Blood pressures are low among the Yorubam who throughout their history, have been situated far inland from sources of sea salt and far south of Saharan salt mines

e) No significant differences in salt metabolism have been found between those people who have had salt available throughout their history and those who have not.

Guys I need help with the following question. The correct answer is A. I chose D and would like to know the reasoning for the correct answer. If someone can help me understand the reasoning and the way to approach the correct answer, I will certainly appreciate it.
Thanks,
Sameer.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 24

Re: black Americans [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2012, 18:54
This post received
KUDOS
According to A: Blood pressures are low among westernized black africans who have descended entirely from people of senegal and gambia where salt was always available. This implies that these people have descended from a people who were used to metabolizing a moderate to high level of salt because there was no scarcity. The fact that these descendants of senegalese and gambian africans have low blood pressure shows that they can metabolize higher levels of salts like their Sengalese and Gambian ancestors. Thus the link must be genetic and predisposition to high blood pressure may reflect an interaction between western high-salt diets and genes of most africans (not senegalese and gambian) that adapted to environmental scarcity of salt. Thus A is correct.

that was a tough one to write for me. must work on writing skills :P

D refers to the yorubams blood pressure but does not relate it to those of modern day westernized black africans. so incorrect.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 20

Re: black Americans [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2012, 12:33
karun0109 wrote:
According to A: Blood pressures are low among westernized black africans who have descended entirely from people of senegal and gambia where salt was always available. This implies that these people have descended from a people who were used to metabolizing a moderate to high level of salt because there was no scarcity. The fact that these descendants of senegalese and gambian africans have low blood pressure shows that they can metabolize higher levels of salts like their Sengalese and Gambian ancestors. Thus the link must be genetic and predisposition to high blood pressure may reflect an interaction between western high-salt diets and genes of most africans (not senegalese and gambian) that adapted to environmental scarcity of salt. Thus A is correct.

that was a tough one to write for me. must work on writing skills :P

D refers to the yorubams blood pressure but does not relate it to those of modern day westernized black africans. so incorrect.

Looks like to answer above question, one needs to have clear understanding about various geogrophies on earth.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 199 [0], given: 41

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: black Americans [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2012, 17:48
This is a tough answer to refer the metabolism of Western Black American. Choice A states that "The blood pressures of those descended from peoples situated throughout their history in Senegal and Gambia, where salt was always available, are low". So, these descendants are the exceptional cases of overall African people. Other Africans will get the high blood pressure caused by the interaction between genes and high-salt diets.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: black Americans [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2012, 00:26
could someone provide a detailed reasoning on how to arrive at correct answer??
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 55 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: black Americans [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2012, 07:52
This post received
KUDOS
conclusion: "Researchers have hypothesized that this predisposition in westernized Blacks may reflect an interaction between western high-salt diets and genes that adapted to an environmental scarcity of salt." This is saying that researchers believe that westernized blacks have high blood pressure because their ancestors adapted to low sodium diets. This adaptation & the tons of salt in a western diet are what these researchers say causes high blood pressure.

(A) The blood pressures of those descended from peoples situated throughout their history in Senegal and Gambia, where salt was always available, are low."
Rember that high blood pressure is caused by high salt diet + genetic adaptation to LOW salt environments. Those in Senegal and Gambia are in a place where there is PLENTY of salt and they don't have high blood pressure. This suggests that the researchers are right because those from Gambia and Senagal have had generations to adapt their genes to this kind of diet, unlike other africans.
(B) certain areas in Africa ? out of scope
(c) argument is about western black Americans not about white Americans . out of scope.
(D) It just give info about Yoruba and not relating to anyone in the argument.
(E) certainly out of scope
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Re: black Americans [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2012, 03:42
IMO A

Is it GMAT prep question?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 55

Re: black Americans [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2012, 09:46
Dang it, i forgot to check the source and did a gmat prep question ( I am trying to save it for later). Still, this is the hard one for me.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 14 [2] , given: 129

Re: Black Americans are, on the whole, about twice as likely as [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2013, 21:15
This post received
KUDOS
Premise: BP in BA ~ (equivalent to) 2(BP in WA) and BP in WBAf ~ 2(BP in WWAf)
Conclusion: Reason for above trend - Interaction b/w high salt in western diet and genes for low salt availability.

Let's see A and D.
a) The blood pressures of those descended from peoples situated throughout their history in Senegal and Gambia, where salt was always available, are low.
Salt always available; therefore normal genes; therefore BP is not high. Somewhat similar to the research.

d) Blood pressures are low among the Yorubam who throughout their history, have been situated far inland from sources of sea salt and far south of Saharan salt mines.
Salt unavailable; therefore genes should be low salt genes; therefore BP should be high but it is given to be low here. Hence, there is a contradiction.

A is better than D here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 397

Re: Black Americans are, on the whole, about twice as likely as [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2014, 06:33
Got trouble with this one!

Here is the explanation I have:

- Your are looking for something that proves the link btw: scarcity of salt ==> change in habit ==> high blood pressure.
- Therefore, it will strenghten the argument if you claim that descendent of black american have low blood pressure. Why? Well because they did not get used to scarcity in salt!

If the descendent of people coming from Africa have low blood pressure, it means that the only factor that enables the developpement of high blood pressure is the fact that your organism was used to a scarcity in salt

This is explained in answer A...

Hope it is clear for everyone!

Think outside the box

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-16-2013
GPA: 3
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 353

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Black Americans are, on the whole, about twice as likely as [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2014, 04:08
Hi E-gmat team,

Can you help on this question.
I was not able to understand this question.

Regards
Akhil
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT Date: 04-30-2014
GPA: 3.24
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 104

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Black Americans are, on the whole, about twice as likely as [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2014, 19:44
akhil911 wrote:
Hi E-gmat team,

Can you help on this question.
I was not able to understand this question.

Regards
Akhil

Lemme try..I assume its A vs D..

A is clear in its intent as it shows that people with high salt access in the past do not suffer with the same condition as Africans living in salt scarce areas do suffer..
D is talking about proximity to 2 major salt sources..but we cannot be sure of their eating habits or about availablity of other salt sources etc

A is better than D

Appreciate the efforts...KUDOS for all

Manager
Manager
Schools: IIMA

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 59

Re: Black Americans are, on the whole, about twice as likely as [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2014, 05:21
Since passage is talking about adaption A talks about that ; strengthen the premise so it is correct :)

If you are not over prepared then you are under prepared !!!

Re: Black Americans are, on the whole, about twice as likely as   [#permalink] 27 Jul 2014, 05:21