Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 20:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Black Americans are, on the whole, about twice as likely as

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 63

Black Americans are, on the whole, about twice as likely as [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 05:26
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

41% (03:30) correct 59% (02:06) wrong based on 186 sessions
Black Americans are, on the whole, about twice as likely as White Americans to develop high blood pressure. This likelihood also holds for westernized Black Africans when compared to White Africans. Researchers have hypothesized that this predisposition in westernized Blacks may reflect an interaction between western high-salt diets and genes that adapted to an environmental scarcity of salt.

Which of the following statements about present-day, westernized Black Africans, if true, would most tend to confirm the researchers' hypothesis?

(A) The blood pressures of those descended from peoples situated throughout their history in Senegal and Gambia, where salt was always available, are low.

(B) The unusually high salt consumption in certain areas of Africa represents a serious health problem.

(C) Because of their blood pressure levels, most White Africans have markedly decreased their salt consumption.

(D) Blood pressures are low among the Yoruba, who, throughout their history, have been situated far inland from sources of sea salt and far south of Saharan salt mines

(E) No significant differences in salt metabolism have been found between those people who have had salt available throughout their history and those who have not.

OA soon after discussions.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by nelz007 on 03 Dec 2012, 06:11, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 655 [1] , given: 116

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Black Americans are, on the whole, about twice as likely as [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 05:58
This post received
KUDOS
Answer should be A.

The argument says that high blood pressure is due to the fact that black americans' genes had adapted to accomodate low salt levels.

A shows that people whose genes did not have to adapt to low salt levels did not have high blood pressure.

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Manager
Manager

Re: Black Americans are, on the whole, about twice as likely as [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 06:10
I just read your gym question haha nice one macfauz prep. A it is :)
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 655 [0], given: 116

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Black Americans are, on the whole, about twice as likely as [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 06:42
nelz007 wrote:

Thanks nelz.... Would help if you could go through the other posts and still think the answer is A.... Because I framed that one to be the wrong answer.. If you still feel its A maybe I could make some changes... :)

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 62 [1] , given: 69

CAT Tests
Re: Black Americans are, on the whole, about twice as likely as [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 06:44
This post received
KUDOS
IMO: A
Cause: High salt in diet by people in Africa, America
Result: High Blood Pressure(BP) in those people
Argument says, High BP in people is a natural response to deal with scarcity of salt. Genes adopted themselves to prevent eradication of available salt.

Answer should support that Blood Pressure is caused as stimulus to prevent the existence of salt in that geographical area.

(A) The blood pressures of those descended from peoples situated throughout their history in Senegal and Gambia, where salt was always available, are low. When salt was always available abundantly , BP didn't increase, it means, BP increased in areas only where presence of salt is very low. Correct.

(B) The unusually high salt consumption in certain areas of Africa represents a serious health problem. It doesn't help to support the conclusion.

(C) Because of their blood pressure levels, most White Africans have markedly decreased their salt consumption. This statement doesn't mention any interrelation between Decrease in salt consumption & Availability of salt in that area.

(D) Blood pressures are low among the Yoruba, who, throughout their history, have been situated far inland from sources of sea salt and far south of Saharan salt mines. BP is low throughout the history doesn't help to prove anything.

(E) No significant differences in salt metabolism have been found between those people who have had salt available throughout their history and those who have not. Salt metabolism is out of context.
Manager
Manager

Re: Black Americans are, on the whole, about twice as likely as [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 07:17
MacFauz wrote:
nelz007 wrote:

Thanks nelz.... Would help if you could go through the other posts and still think the answer is A.... Because I framed that one to be the wrong answer.. If you still feel its A maybe I could make some changes... :)

I was referring to this question as A. For that post, it is C though I did like your explanation for D.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

Re: Black Americans are, on the whole, about twice as likely as [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2013, 06:29
Jeeeeeeej, another almost exact replica from an official question.

Thank you Gmatpill, you are way too kind for the gmat-community.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: Black Americans are, on the whole, about twice as likely as [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2013, 14:29
I think answer is D for a reason
Well there are three factors in context:

a- Blood pressure
b- Gene adaptation to salt availability in surroundings
c- Salt consumption

The conclusion says: low salt level adapted gene (scarcity of salt) + high salt diet = high blood pressure. REMEMBER THE CONSLUSION IS TRYING TO LINK BLOOD PRESSURE WITH SALT CONSUMPTION AND GENE'S ADAPTABILITY TO IT.
Option A tells that low blood pressure and salt availability in surrounding ( We don’t know high or low and it does not tell whether genes were accustom to high or low salt levels). Further, A does not tell that the low blood pressure is due to which of the combination -low salt consumption + low salt level adapted gene OR low salt consumption + high salt level adapted gene. It does not prove a link of gene with level of salt consumption.

now look at option d
a. It tells that the area was facing scarcity of salt → low adaptability of gene to salt
b. It tells that blood pressure was low -> lesser consumption of salt
c. Hence it tells when low gene adaptability to salt is clubbed with a level of salt consumption the blood pressure follows the salt consumption level ( remember in option D and conclusion the gene adaptability to salt is constant-> low)
d. D will work as a new source to prove the given hypothesis

thanks
Sid
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 12-26-2013
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Black Americans are, on the whole, about twice as likely as [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2013, 08:03
This post was
BOOKMARKED
One of the best ways to strengthen a Cause and Effect relationship is to prove:
->If Cause(environmental scarcity of salt or low-salt diets) DOES NOT occur, then Effect(high blood pressure) DOES NOT occur.

OR

High salt levels(C) -> Low blood Pressure(E)

Option A does exactly that.

(A) The blood pressures of those descended from peoples situated throughout their history in Senegal and Gambia, where salt was always available, are low.
Re: Black Americans are, on the whole, about twice as likely as   [#permalink] 15 Dec 2013, 08:03