Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 20:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Black children are three times as likely to live in single

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Affiliations: SAE
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 264

Black children are three times as likely to live in single [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 03:23
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

69% (01:52) correct 30% (00:49) wrong based on 23 sessions
Black children are three times as likely to live in single‐parent households than white children and twice as likely to live in a home where no parent has full‐time or year‐round employment.
A. three times as likely to live in single‐parent households than white children and twice as likely to live in a home where
B. three times more likely to live in single‐parent households than white children and twice as likely to live in a home where
C. three times more likely to live in single‐parent households than white children have been and double as likely to live in a home where
D. three times more likely to live in single‐parent households as white children and twice as likely of living in a home where
E. three times as likely to live in single‐parent households than white children are and twice more likely to live in a home where
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

First Attempt 710 - first-attempt-141273.html

Last edited by getgyan on 08 Oct 2012, 19:36, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 38

Re: Black children are three times as likely to live [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 03:50
getgyan wrote:
Black children are three times as likely to live in single‐parent households than white children and twice as likely to live in a home where no parent has full‐time or year‐round employment.
A. three times as likely to live in single‐parent households than white children and twice as likely to live in a home where
B. three times more likely to live in single‐parent households than white children and twice as likely to live in a home where - Correct Answer
C. three times more likely to live in single‐parent households than white children have been and double as likely to live in a home where - use of have been is correct in this comparison with 'are" - use of double here is wrong - eliminate
D. three times more likely to live in single‐parent households as white children and twice as likely of living in a home where - it should be more than
E. three times as likely to live in single‐parent households than white children are and twice more likely to live in a home where - it should be as likely as

+1 B

I have a confusion here-

how do we choose as likely as or more likely - i assume it all means the same..if not please explain
2. should we have a verb after than "are" may be?

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
WE 1: IT Consultant (6Yr)

Kudos [?]: 9 [2] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Black children are three times as likely to live [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 06:46
This post received
KUDOS
yashii9 wrote:
getgyan wrote:
B. three times more likely to live in single‐parent households than white children and twice as likely to live in a home where - Correct Answer
C. three times more likely to live in single‐parent households than white children have been and double as likely to live in a home where - use of have been is correct in this comparison with 'are" - use of double here is wrong - eliminate
D. three times more likely to live in single‐parent households as white children and twice as likely of living in a home where - it should be more than
E. three times as likely to live in single‐parent households than white children are and twice more likely to live in a home where - it should be as likely as

+1 B

I have a confusion here-

how do we choose as likely as or more likely - i assume it all means the same..if not please explain

Hi Yashi,

I will try to explain this with an example (as per my understanding).

X is as likely to pass the exam as Y is ---- in this example both X and Y have same chances of passing the exam,

X is more likely to pass the exam than Y is ---- in this example x has more probability of passing the exam than Y is

Also as per my understanding the answer should B in this case here.

Pls correct me if i'm missing some pt here .

Thanks
Jatin
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 38

Re: Black children are three times as likely to live [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 09:42
jsahni123 wrote:
yashii9 wrote:
getgyan wrote:

+1 B

I have a confusion here-

Hi Yashi,

I will try to explain this with an example (as per my understanding).

X is as likely to pass the exam as Y is ---- in this example both X and Y have same chances of passing the exam,

X is more likely to pass the exam than Y is ---- in this example x has more probability of passing the exam than Y is

Also as per my understanding the answer should B in this case here.

Pls correct me if i'm missing some pt here .

Thanks
Jatin

which is correct- or are both fine??

i am more likely to pass exams than she is
i am more likely to pass exams than her

wats your take on this?

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 12

Re: Black children are three times as likely to live [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 09:51
B. three times more likely to live in single‐parent households than white children and twice as likely to live in a home where
C. three times more likely to live in single‐parent households than white children have been and double as likely to live in a home where
D. three times more likely to live in single‐parent households as white children and twice as likely of living in a home where
E. three times as likely to live in single‐parent households than white children are and twice more likely to live in a home where

The idiom being tested here is X is more likely than Y.

Only B and C remains. In C , double is incorrectly used. B wins.
Intern
Intern
WE 1: IT Consultant (6Yr)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Black children are three times as likely to live [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 18:30
Quote:

wats your take on this?

Hi Yashii,

I think if i would have to pick one of these sentences , i would prefer

But what bothers me in this sentence is that in the first part before the comparison keyword "than" i do not see the verb of the clause "i am more likely to pass exams".

Can some expert pls pitch in here

Thanks
Jatin
Current Student
Affiliations: SAE
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 264

Re: Black children are three times as likely to live [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 20:10
yashii9 wrote:

wats your take on this?

Hi Yashii

First of all, when you reply to a post please delete the irrelevant content. It unnecessarily makes the post long.

Secondly, both the sentences are correct. It is more of a personal choice. " I am more likely to pass exams than her" is considered informal.

:-D

First Attempt 710 - first-attempt-141273.html

Re: Black children are three times as likely to live   [#permalink] 08 Oct 2012, 20:10