Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Nov 2014, 13:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Black friday debrief! (720, q49,v38)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 67

Re: Black friday debrief! (720, q49,v38) [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2012, 01:44
Vipps

After reading your explanations on various questions, i feel that 720 is too less for you... but yes it doesnt matter with the kind of profile.
Best of luck for your application.... I am planning to enroll with egmat SC

Best of luck for your future
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 311 [0], given: 20

Re: Black friday debrief! (720, q49,v38) [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2012, 03:57
I never knew you've already gone for the test..

But when i saw "Black Friday", I just couldn't reckon what the sad event was until i saw 720!

By all estimation, you have been a source of inspiration to many and a 720 is equally a great score.
However, i know you deserve more than that.

Nonetheless, congratulations and wishing you all the best in you applications.

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 19

Re: Black friday debrief! (720, q49,v38) [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2012, 04:46
nelz007 wrote:
Process of elimination most answer choices can be eliminated cos they are irrelevant.

well this is always true for 3 out of 5.
still need to get more edge when picking between the last 2.
thanks.

If my answer helped, dont forget KUDOS! :)

IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 17

Re: Black friday debrief! (720, q49,v38) [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2012, 16:32
VIPS you are the man. I always get excited when you post on one of my posts because I know it will be high quality. Will you continue to post on the forums or will you check out now that you have the score?

720 in my opinion is incredible and is the average for all the top schools in the world. congratulations

I took a GMATPrep practice today and got

IR-8
Q-42 59%
V-38 83%
Total: 650 79%

I am sweating because I really want to apply this year.

I see that you recommend E-gmat, I went to their site and it says it is for non-native test-takers, I'm a native english speaker, should I look elsewhere ?

Although my Quant is the weaker part of my game, I feel like Q is the key to 700+ since verbal comes easier to me than Math.... but not sure.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 379 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Black friday debrief! (720, q49,v38) [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2012, 18:37
Archit143 wrote:
Vipps

After reading your explanations on various questions, i feel that 720 is too less for you... but yes it doesnt matter with the kind of profile.
Best of luck for your application.... I am planning to enroll with egmat SC
Best of luck for your future

gmatbull wrote:
I never knew you've already gone for the test..
But when i saw "Black Friday", I just couldn't reckon what the sad event was until i saw 720!
By all estimation, you have been a source of inspiration to many and a 720 is equally a great score.
However, i know you deserve more than that.
Nonetheless, congratulations and wishing you all the best in you applications.

Thank you so much for your kind words. I know, I should have done better to get more than 720 but unfortunately I cant even retake atleast for a month now.
I am planning to apply to a few selected schools in round 2 with this score and then retake early next year if nothing works out.. atleast will have a better gmat score to show as a re-applicant. :-P

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Current Student

Re: Black friday debrief! (720, q49,v38) [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2012, 18:48
anon1 wrote:
VIPS you are the man. I always get excited when you post on one of my posts because I know it will be high quality. Will you continue to post on the forums or will you check out now that you have the score?

720 in my opinion is incredible and is the average for all the top schools in the world. congratulations

I took a GMATPrep practice today and got

IR-8
Q-42 59%
V-38 83%
Total: 650 79%

I am sweating because I really want to apply this year.

I see that you recommend E-gmat, I went to their site and it says it is for non-native test-takers, I'm a native english speaker, should I look elsewhere ?

Although my Quant is the weaker part of my game, I feel like Q is the key to 700+ since verbal comes easier to me than Math.... but not sure.

Thank you so much for such praise, which i'm surely not worth (not anymore for sure after 720 :-D )
I saw from your posts that you've come a long way in your gmat preparation and the way you are putting effort, u'll surely soon cross the 700 mark.

Being a native grammar, idioms and specially identifying illogical meaning should come natural to you. So probabaly you dont need a separate course in verbal (Lucky to be born as native speaker eh? ;-) ), but if you are troubled by meaning based questions then you may try this SC course. However, as you already know, and moreover since you are planning to apply this year, you can improve in quants to maintain 80/80 split.

I've gained a lot from GC and would continue to be here.. I'm still too far from getting into a school :-D
Do pm me incase you need any help..

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: ISB '15
GPA: 3.49
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 41

Re: Black friday debrief! (720, q49,v38) [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2012, 22:26
Vips,

Hearty congrats bud. Good to know that someone from the same boat (Yes, I won the new veritasPrep course too on the last day :) thanks to gmatclub contest ) slashed the beast. Hmm in fact I too initially thought of booking a date on Nov 23(Black Friday) but changed my plans to schedule the test by a month or two. Given the quality of your posts here, it is not surprising to see the score you achieved !
VP
VP
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 456 [0], given: 456

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Black friday debrief! (720, q49,v38) [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 03:07
MacFauz wrote:
jumsumtak wrote:
MacFauz wrote:
If anyone can clear this up for me.... If I have selected the answer choice for my last question and the timer runs out before I click next.. Will the question count as answered??...

Unfortunately it will not be counted as answered. Only your AWA are recorded even if you run out of time and dont press the next button.

Well.. That's a shame.. Happened to me with the last question.. Did not notice the timer and was verifying the answer before the time ran out. :(

I'm sorry. Seems, I was misinformed!

Even if you select the last answer and don' t confirm it, it seems it is counted.
last-question-unconfirmed-142881.html

Apologize for the confusion.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 131

Reviews Badge
Re: Black friday debrief! (720, q49,v38) [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 04:44
@Vips0000: Congratulations, V! Great score (I'm jealous) :)

I've been prepping for a while now and have been following your posts, comments and methods of reasoning and they are inspiring, indeed... so thank you for your contribution on the forums. Although your potential shows to be much higher, given the stress level and anxiety as others pointed out you've overachieved. Plus, I think that your 8yrs of professional experience a good substitute for the lack of 20-30 additional points. That's just my personal opinion, though.

You mentioned you had 18 minutes to spare after zipping through the quant section. Do you mind sharing the types of questions, their patterns and level of difficulty that you encountered?

What about verbal: RC - number and length of passages; SC - you said one of your weaknesses was sentence meaning. Were the majority of questions of those type? I'm sure you aced the RC part but were questions straight forward or quite twisted?

Sorry for the variety of questions but this is all in my head now :)
Current Student

Re: Black friday debrief! (720, q49,v38) [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 05:49
igloo wrote:
Vips,

Hearty congrats bud. Good to know that someone from the same boat (Yes, I won the new veritasPrep course too on the last day :) thanks to gmatclub contest ) slashed the beast. Hmm in fact I too initially thought of booking a date on Nov 23(Black Friday) but changed my plans to schedule the test by a month or two. Given the quality of your posts here, it is not surprising to see the score you achieved !

Thanks a ton bro.. thats good.. take ur time.. and give it ur best shot! Good luck :)

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Current Student

Re: Black friday debrief! (720, q49,v38) [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 05:59
stoy4o wrote:
@Vips0000: Congratulations, V! Great score (I'm jealous) :)

I've been prepping for a while now and have been following your posts, comments and methods of reasoning and they are inspiring, indeed... so thank you for your contribution on the forums. Although your potential shows to be much higher, given the stress level and anxiety as others pointed out you've overachieved. Plus, I think that your 8yrs of professional experience a good substitute for the lack of 20-30 additional points. That's just my personal opinion, though.

You mentioned you had 18 minutes to spare after zipping through the quant section. Do you mind sharing the types of questions, their patterns and level of difficulty that you encountered?

What about verbal: RC - number and length of passages; SC - you said one of your weaknesses was sentence meaning. Were the majority of questions of those type? I'm sure you aced the RC part but were questions straight forward or quite twisted?

Sorry for the variety of questions but this is all in my head now :)

Thanks Stoy4o.
Are you sure that I've overachieved :shock:
I rather felt i fell short by 30 points :roll:

As for as quant is concerned, the questions were similar to ones in gmatprep. It felt like its another pratice test. a few tricky ones and mostly ok types. I got 4 RCs; 2 medium lenght average difficulty, 1 very long but average difficulty and last 1 medium length but overtly complex. (biology). SC questions were ok- with few meaning based.. It was 4th RC that derailed me around 35th question.

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 131

Reviews Badge
Re: Black friday debrief! (720, q49,v38) [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 16:46
Thanks for the insight, V. Good luck with the application(s) now! ... but don't forget us :P
Current Student
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 31

Re: Black friday debrief! (720, q49,v38) [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 02:07
Congrats on an awesome score. I have a couple of questions:

* How long did it take you to finish the E-GMAT SC course? I am interested in taking it, but do not know when to do so. Some say its better to take it about a month before the exam so that the once you finish it and practice enough you can hit the exam. Others recommend taking it early in prep.

* What would you recommend for Quant ? I am consistently hitting 42-44 and have consulted mainly Manhattan strategy guides, OG and a few Veritas Books ( DS, Adv word problems)..

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 379 [1] , given: 23

Re: Black friday debrief! (720, q49,v38) [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 02:16
This post received
KUDOS
vomhorizon wrote:
Congrats on an awesome score. I have a couple of questions:

* How long did it take you to finish the E-GMAT SC course? I am interested in taking it, but do not know when to do so. Some say its better to take it about a month before the exam so that the once you finish it and practice enough you can hit the exam. Others recommend taking it early in prep.

* What would you recommend for Quant ? I am consistently hitting 42-44 and have consulted mainly Manhattan strategy guides, OG and a few Veritas Books ( DS, Adv word problems)..

if you've solid foundation in SC then probably you dont need it. But if its shaky then u can consider taking this. That said, I'd suggest taking it atleast 1 month before the due date for sufficient time to practice. Specially because the strategy tought in this course would slow u down a bit and probably with sufficient practice one can imrove on pacing as well while using their strategy.

For quants, I think MGMAT number properties and Veritas combinatorics are awesome books. For Geometry veritas + mgmat both needs to be see together. But again most important point here is - to find out the pain area and then see which guide could help u best.

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Current Student
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 31

Re: Black friday debrief! (720, q49,v38) [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 02:24
Quote:
For quants, I think MGMAT number properties and Veritas combinatorics are awesome books. For Geometry veritas + mgmat both needs to be see together. But again most important point here is - to find out the pain area and then see which guide could help u best.

Thanks, I did not find most the SC's challenging in the OG (Greater than 80% accuracy in the last 50). I studied about a couple of months for the GMAT (basically read the MGMAT SC once + OG, Power Prep LSAT LR + OG and no RC material) and scored in the 75th percentile (V) on my first GMAT prep. I had devoted around 70% of my prep time to quant which i hadnt touched for a decade (started from the real bottom) .I still feel that in order to push myself beyond 40 in Verbal i might need the E-Gmat course which comes highly recommended from almost all that have taken it. CR comes naturally to me and RC is also OK..

Did you try the advances Problem banks (Online) that one gets with the purchase of each MGMAT strategy guide? I just took their word problem set, and the 700-800 questions were BRUTAL :-( , did you find their questions (in the banks) and CAT's tougher than the actual GMAT questions?

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 562

Re: Black friday debrief! (720, q49,v38) [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 06:47
Hey Vipps, congrats :)

How much was your first score on a mock before starting the preparation?

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 379 [1] , given: 23

Re: Black friday debrief! (720, q49,v38) [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 01:45
This post received
KUDOS
Sachin9 wrote:
Hey Vipps, congrats :)

How much was your first score on a mock before starting the preparation?

Ha ha.. thats the problem with long debriefs.. people tend to skip it ;-) :-D

Just kidding..
My first mock score was 690 on gmatprep; taken on 22nd sep -exactly 2 months before the gmat.

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Re: Black friday debrief! (720, q49,v38)   [#permalink] 30 Nov 2012, 01:45