Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 13:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Blogging through the application process

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Blogging through the application process [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2007, 13:02
I have wanted to start a blog for a while but never really could think of what to talk about. Since I started the whole MBA track I thought it would be a good thing to blog about. Not that people are necessarily going to read it or anything but in a few years when all this is over hopefully it will be fun to look back on the whole experience.

I kept journals while in college and I shipped (on ships not in the military) out. Its interesting to read some of what I went through and felt 5+ years removed from it. So I am planning on doing the same for this but in a slightly more public way. Hopefully I am successful with my applications and can provide even the slightest bit of helpful advice and encouragement to people who read it next year.

My one fear is that some adcom would come across it...I have seen some people who blog about their application process and it seems all of them never really provide anything in there personal. Never mention schools until its all over, never give their GMAT scores, work profiles, undergrad stories, its all very generic. Its not like I would be doing this on businessweek that someone easily would see it...besides its probably not going to have much else besides what I post on here.

So does anyone else have a blog or are you planning on starting one? I love finding blogs related to this since they seem to provide a great sense of what its going to be like.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 657 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2007, 14:25
Sorry for going a little off topic here, but we have a unlimited blogs plan on typepad, so I quickly set up one for you. See if you like it. I can send you an invitation to set up an account if you like.

http://gmatclub.blogs.com/riverripper/

I understand if you dont like the idea of being tethered to gmat club, but let me know if you are interested.

There is no catch here. Our goal is to always let people collaborate and find ways to help make communication easier. The forum, the chat, the wiki and the blog were designed for this express purpose.

Anyone else interested, let us know

thanks
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 327 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2007, 01:07
I read some blogs and got some good info off them. I'm tempted, but I don't know if I have the time or dedication to follow through. And same as riverripper, I'm afraid of people figuring out it's me (especially the adcom). Any suggestions for that?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2007, 02:39
Praetorian that sounds pretty interesting I will definitely think about it over the weekend. Though it seems to make more sense that way since it would be tied to an MBA specific site...just not sure I want to limit it totally to my application process.

Kryzak I don't see how it would cause more problems than people posting their profiles on here and a list of schools they are applying to. I think as long as you don't put interview questions or anything else that schools might take issue with then it wouldn't be a problem. I don't think I am going to state which schools I am applying to until its all over...maybe call them School 1, 2, 3...etc. The one fear would be other schools seeing where you got in or didn't get in. We have all heard the rumors of schools trying to control the yield so if they see you got into a better school they may deny you just because of that even if that is your top choice.

I am not going to post anything that you can't get from a little research anyways since its not like I have an inside info on the process. Plus I would hope that adcoms have better things to do with their time than troll the internet for applicants writing about the process.
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2007, 08:01
It's possible for school adcoms to go through all the posts of a person at GMATClub or all the posts of a person on his/her blog and find out which application is that person's. But the process will be very time-consuming. Not to mention the moral problems in doing so.

Considering the thousands of applications they get, the slight possible benefit in yield is not going to be worth it. So I highly doubt that our posts here or in a blog are going to be a problem in the admission process. However, you still might be worried about privacy.
  [#permalink] 27 Jul 2007, 08:01