Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 09:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Blood banks

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Blood banks [#permalink] New post 23 May 2006, 10:38
Blood banks will shortly start to screen all donors for NANB hepatitis. Although the new screening tests are estimated to disqualify up to 5 percent of all prospective blood donors, they will still miss two-thirds of donors carrying NANB hepatitis. Therefore, about 10 percent of actual donors will still supply NANB-contaminated blood.

The argument above depends on which of the following assumptions?

(A) Donors carrying NANB hepatitis do not, in a large percentage of cases, carry other infections for which reliable screening tests are routinely performed.
(B) Donors carrying NANB hepatitis do not, in a large percentage of cases, develop the disease themselves at any point.
(C) The estimate of the number of donors who would be disqualified by tests for NANB hepatitis is an underestimate.
(D) The incidence of NANB hepatitis is lower among the potential blood donors than it is in the population at large.
(E) The donors who will still supply NANB-contaminated blood will donate blood at the average frequency for all donors.

I remeber this Q was already dicussed few weeks ago. but I still get it betwwem A and E. plz. OA later

Stay hungry, Stay foolish

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 May 2006, 10:47
It is E for me because blood banks will stop 5% but there is still 10% that will go through. So I assume this can only happen if all donors who carry this disease will continue to donate blood...
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 May 2006, 10:57
gmatmba wrote:
It is E for me because blood banks will stop 5% but there is still 10% that will go through. So I assume this can only happen if all donors who carry this disease will continue to donate blood...

yup I thought so...but nope

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 May 2006, 22:06
OA is A but I think E is also OK..

anybody wno can nail down it? :?

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 May 2006, 22:48
Premise:
Blood bank to start screening donars for NANB hep
Test will disqualify 5% of all donars
Test will miss 2/3 of NANB positive donars

Conclusion
10% of donars will still supply NANB blood

I will go with B instead. If the donars do nto develop the disease at any point, then the 10% figure will not change and be true in most cases.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Blood banks [#permalink] New post 23 May 2006, 23:20
jeunesis wrote:
Blood banks will shortly start to screen all donors for NANB hepatitis. Although the new screening tests are estimated to disqualify up to 5 percent of all prospective blood donors, they will still miss two-thirds of donors carrying NANB hepatitis. Therefore, about 10 percent of actual donors will still supply NANB-contaminated blood.

(A) Donors carrying NANB hepatitis do not, in a large percentage of cases, carry other infections for which reliable screening tests are routinely performed.
(B) Donors carrying NANB hepatitis do not, in a large percentage of cases, develop the disease themselves at any point.
(C) The estimate of the number of donors who would be disqualified by tests for NANB hepatitis is an underestimate.
(D) The incidence of NANB hepatitis is lower among the potential blood donors than it is in the population at large.
(E) The donors who will still supply NANB-contaminated blood will donate blood at the average frequency for all donors.

I remeber this Q was already dicussed few weeks ago. but I still get it betwwem A and E. plz. OA later

The premise is that screening will miss two-thirds of donors carrying NANB hepatitis. Now why would the author say this despite the fact that new screening tests have been developed.

The premise and the argument stnad true if the author assumes that the new screening is similar to the other screenings for which routine investigations are carried on or thenew screening is nothing but sum of all the old screenings....

Hence, the author argues that it 10% of donors will still supply contaminated blood
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: Blood banks [#permalink] New post 24 May 2006, 09:15
jeunesis wrote:

I am going with "A". Here's my reasoning :-

The author states that only one-third of the hepatitis will be caught and two-thirds will donate blood as usual. This means that the two-thirds can't be detected.

Hence, the assumption is that 2/3rd hepatitis donors, i.e., a majority of hepatitis donors will not be detected. "A" is the only option that comes close to this assumption.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Blood banks [#permalink] New post 24 May 2006, 12:23
jaynayak wrote:
jeunesis wrote:

The premise is that screening will miss two-thirds of donors carrying NANB hepatitis. Now why would the author say this despite the fact that new screening tests have been developed.

The premise and the argument stnad true if the author assumes that the new screening is similar to the other screenings for which routine investigations are carried on or thenew screening is nothing but sum of all the old screenings....

Hence, the author argues that it 10% of donors will still supply contaminated blood

but what if the donors who will supply NANB-contaminated blood donate blood less frequently? then the percentage will be changed simuteously.

I agree that A can be answer. but still E has reason to be answer
sob sob :cry:

Re: Blood banks   [#permalink] 24 May 2006, 12:23