Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 22:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Blood banks will shortly start to screen all donors for NANB

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Blood banks will shortly start to screen all donors for NANB [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2006, 01:59
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Blood banks will shortly start to screen all donors for NANB hepatitis. Although the new screening tests are estimated to disqualify up to 5 percent of all prospective blood donors, they will still miss two-thirds of donors carrying NANB hepatitis. Therefore, about 10 percent of actual donors will still supply NANB-contaminated blood.

The argument above depends on which of the following assumptions?
(A) Donors carrying NANB hepatitis do not, in a large percentage of cases, carry other infections for which reliable screening tests are routinely performed.
(B) Donors carrying NANB hepatitis do not, in a large percentage of cases, develop the disease themselves at any point.
(C) The estimate of the number of donors who would be disqualified by tests for NANB hepatitis is an underestimate.
(D) The incidence of NANB hepatitis is lower among the potential blood donors than it is in the population at large.
(E) The donors who will still supply NANB-contaminated blood will donate blood at the average frequency for all donors.

Ps select this psace for OA & my doubts:
OA is A. Okay A is assumed here ‘coz some donors might be filtered for carrying other infections in their blood, hence total will be less than 10%. But what is wrong with E? If same donor frequency isn’t assumed than even A doesn’t holds further. Thanks :twisted:
VP
VP
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Challenge7: Blood Donors [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2006, 02:18
themaddy2002 wrote:
Blood banks will shortly start to screen all donors for NANB hepatitis. Although the new screening tests are estimated to disqualify up to 5 percent of all prospective blood donors, they will still miss two-thirds of donors carrying NANB hepatitis. Therefore, about 10 percent of actual donors will still supply NANB-contaminated blood.

The argument above depends on which of the following assumptions?
(A) Donors carrying NANB hepatitis do not, in a large percentage of cases, carry other infections for which reliable screening tests are routinely performed.
(B) Donors carrying NANB hepatitis do not, in a large percentage of cases, develop the disease themselves at any point.
(C) The estimate of the number of donors who would be disqualified by tests for NANB hepatitis is an underestimate.
(D) The incidence of NANB hepatitis is lower among the potential blood donors than it is in the population at large.
(E) The donors who will still supply NANB-contaminated blood will donate blood at the average frequency for all donors.

Ps select this psace for OA & my doubts:
OA is A. Okay A is assumed here ‘coz some donors might be filtered for carrying other infections in their blood, hence total will be less than 10%. But what is wrong with E? If same donor frequency isn’t assumed than even A doesn’t holds further. Thanks :twisted:

The question could have been more interesting, without OA staring at me like this :wink:

In this argument the concern is about whether about 10 percent of actual donors will still supply NANB-contaminated blood. We are not bothered about frequency of their supply. Hence not E.

It is A because, Donors carrying NANB hepatitis are not caught through other screening tests, and they keep donating the blood. These donors are part of donor pool. The focus is the number/percentage of donors. Not their frequency of donation.

The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short;
the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2006, 04:50
This question blew the living lights out of me.. can some one please help me understand the question. After knowing the answer, I could understand what the answer is saying.. but all those statistics and percentages in the stem made no sense at all..
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2006, 04:55
dwivedys wrote:
This question blew the living lights out of me.. can some one please help me understand the question. After knowing the answer, I could understand what the answer is saying.. but all those statistics and percentages in the stem made no sense at all..

In total, 15 % of the blood donors have NANB hepatitis.

5% of these total blood donors (not 5% of 15%:wink: )can be caught with screening tests. Remain 10% will keep supplying blood inspite of they having NANB hepatitis.

10% = 2/3 of 15%

All the percentages have total blood donors as base (100%) :wink:

The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short;
the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2006, 05:00
Quote:
10% = 2/3 of 15%

Wonderful...this is what I was missing.. May God Save Me!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2006, 05:04
I can see how the ANSWER is A,

I'm pleased I did not see the OA to start with since I went for E as a best fit, but when I read A knowing it is the answer I see where I went wrong!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2006, 05:06
Set arbitary numbers:

- # of donars = 300

- # of donars disqualifed = 15

- Since 2/3 of infected donars are not caught, the means 15 = 1/3 (infected donars) and # of infected donars = 45

- 2/3 of infected donars = 30 which is 30/300*100% = 10%

So:

B --> Not important as we're concerned only with what is the catch-rate at this current moment
C --> does not require this assumption as the working above clearly shows it's not an under-estimate
D --> not required to help the conclusion stand
E --> This figure is not affected by who donates blood often. It's the make-up of the donars that affect the percentage given in the conclusion.

A is the best choice because the make-up of the donars will change once someone is disqualified from some other tests.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2006, 06:49
I went straight for E but after reading explaination above now realize that correct answer is A:)

U guys are brillent...
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2006, 11:39
To me, its clear (A).

The NANB test only catches 5% and all the other test do not catch NANB positives so a large number of blood donors are NANB positive (10%).
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2006, 23:03
ywilfred, ak_idc these really are great explanations. Thanks :-D
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2006, 00:25
for me A