Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 01:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

blow by blow account (super long post)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

essay tips [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2005, 10:34
saurya- regarding the essays, i think the keys to success are the following:

1. be concise and specific as possible with respect to why mba, why now and why this particular school questions. this is the bread and butter essay that all schools require, so make sure you slam dunk it. and were talking about a story here, so dont hold back at all and however you can make it more interesting then go for it...
2. regarding why mba, i think its key to tie in your previous experience, inside or outside of work, to your future goals. how has your past influenced what youre going to do in the future?
3. regarding why now, its key to talk about your maturity and what you can contribute to an MBA program now as opposed to one or two years ago. you need to convince the adcomms that youve been planning this move for a long time now.
4. regarding why this school, try and make a link specific to the school.. i shyed away from curriculum based stuff b/c most top schools are the same, even though they might not want to admit to it... its better to make a unique connection, like a special club on campus, opportunity to study abroad, location (very important for ny schools), class size and culture, etc etc... if youve attended class, spoke to a professor, mention it here... show interest and how you fit!
5. personally i prefer to write in a structured manner... ive read some essays that read more coversational, but i wrote mine in a serious academic tone... with a nice intro, body+supporting evidence and conclusion, like we learned in the 5th grade. not flashy but effective.
6. choose 3-4 traits that you want the adcomms to understand about you... in mine, i wanted to emphasize, initiative, creativity, teamwork and integrity.. so i used each essay as an opportunity to describe how i conveyed those characteristics... these traits are the substance of your application so you have to stick to them and hammer the examples home.
7. go through at least 3-4 rewrites.. have (brutally honest and competent) friends read the essays and proof read and re-write them... so you need to start early. i spent as much time on essays as studying for the gmat.. if not more...
8. dont be repeat yourself.. if something is mentioned in one essay, theres no need to mention it again in another... likewise if its mentioned on the app, it might not be necessary in the essay.. also use the optional essay to explain important things, not to complain about insignificant things....
9. dont be a rogue, so stick to the required font sizes and word limits... double space and all that good stuff... i know this is hard but short and effective is better than eloquent and long...
10. once youre finished with the essays, memorize them inside and out in preparation for interviews. you will need to regurgitate most of your essays so learn them again... its your story, stick to it...

hope this helps.... good luck...
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2005, 10:48
This is great advice! Thanks for sharing it with us. I'm sure lots of people would benefit from it.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2005, 10:53
Thanks tvconefive, the advice for essay writing is just brilliant!

Best Regards,

Paul

Intern
Intern

scoreboard... [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2005, 14:25
so here's the final report card regarding all of my applications... in case anyone following this thread is interested...

yale- admit
nyu- admit with directors scholoarship
columbia- currently wait listed
usc- admit with fellowship
ucla- admit
chicago- admit
cornell- admit
kellogg- ding
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2005, 20:56
Congrats on ur wonderful achievement ! Did u apply all in R2 ?
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2005, 22:06
thanks.. yes, i applied all in R2... you have no idea how hectic my december and january was!!! but it was all worth it. are you applying for class 2008?
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2005, 19:23
One of the most inspiring posts i have ever seen!
Truly inspiring!
Gives me the hope to believe in my own strengths.

Where have you decided to join, finally?

-Britto

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2005, 23:58
britto... im glad you were able to take something away from the post... really believe in yourself and great things will happen. i didnt always trust in this concept but i have more in the last couple years and have seen it materialize.

as for my decision im torn between staying in LA at anderson and braving the cold in chicago... but most likely i think it will be chicago as i want to get into investment banking... plus i visited recently and the people were great and the town, at least in spring was superb... best of luck to you!
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2005, 08:40
Thanks for the wishes, tvconefive.

All the best for a great mba education that will get you where you want to be.

-Britto

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 May 2005, 17:27
tvconefive, thank God for your post! It is very inspiring.
Please share how long you studied for your first GMAT test and the total length of time that you spent studying for both. Also, how long did you spend studying daily including weekends? THANKS.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2005, 07:00
Life threatening thread!
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2005, 08:00
Hi tvconefive
I'm really feeling motivated by going through your post.I'm down after scoring 510 & you have inculcated a sense of purpose in me.Thanks friend.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 May 2006, 19:44
Hi tvconefive,

Your story was really inspirational to me... I took my GMAT yesterday and only scored 590 :( but after hearing your story, I'm going to committ myself to give it a 2nd try... and like you say, it's not the end of the world, if I don't get 700+ I like your perspective of life...

Also, congrads on all your acceptances thus far. I'd love to hear your background and what your thoughts on what you made you such a stellar candidate?

Thanks...

jjhko
  [#permalink] 24 May 2006, 19:44