Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:41 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thats a great point Avi- but keep in mind that most of the rise in applications has been from international applicants. Take India for example: the compensation for a graduate from IIM is ridiculously high when compared to what an engineer makes. I read somewhere that the avg increase in pay in the US schools is about 35%. I would guess that that figure would be closer to 100% in India. This makes it almost a no-brainer for an Indian engineer to move into management (from an ROI point of view). But only 1000 guys can get such astronomical salaries if they study in India. This leads them to look to the US (I am not saying that is THE only reason for Indian applicants to apply here BUT that is ONE of them - and yes, HBS is better than IIMA).

I am not sure if the job market for MBA's would really slow down in the US. There are some industries such as MC and IB, where the majority of the graduates join after their MBA. These industries seem to require an MBA as a pre-requisite and since they see such a high turnover in those industries, you will find a steady deman for those jobs-maintaining the job market (atleast at the top schools).

aviroop wrote:
A lot of interesting ideas but the statements can very well be applied to any degree (including MBA).

I dont think that I would necessarily say yes to any of those 5 statements as to why an MBA is not worth its value. A lot of discussions have happened on this forum regarding the potential and value of an MBA degree, but one statement from me -

If the authors of the article say an MBA degree is not worth its value, how do they justify the rising number of applications and a greater demand for the degree ascross all job categories in the current market (not only the US)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
I guess it really depends on why you're getting an MBA. If you're getting it just to get promotions or be on the fast track, then you may need to reevaluate. If you're getting it to build connections and open up future careers that you'll be happy and passionate about, then it doesn't really matter what the pay/promotion potential of an MBA is.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
I guess it really depends on why you're getting an MBA. If you're getting it just to get promotions or be on the fast track, then you may need to reevaluate. If you're getting it to build connections and open up future careers that you'll be happy and passionate about, then it doesn't really matter what the pay/promotion potential of an MBA is.

Completely agree. I think there are a lot of career switchers in bschool, as am I, and for us, it's priceless.

Some of these authors seem to think that we are going to bschool to be the next Bill Gates or punch a ticket to CEO-land. That's, of course, clearly not the case.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think another issue they failed to think about, are the people who decide to get an MBA because they hate what they do. Career switching is a common reason up there with money as popular reasons to go. I know several other engineers who hate their jobs and decide that an MBA will lead to a happier career without fully understanding what it entails. I would bet a fair amount of people who only go because they hate their jobs and want to do anything else are going to be dissappointed with their next job too.

Hating your job may kick you into school but even then you may hate your jobs post MBA even more. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
river,
the grass is never greener on the other side. Praet, I didnt mean to question you about this article. Just voicing my opinion. Thanks for the link
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Sorry, I've got to post this

From one of the links:

Quote:
“Nobody would argue that it makes more sense to hire a college dropout and former disk jockey like myself rather than a Harvard MBA. However, the high-tech world is full of college dropouts that have made good. And among that group which includes [Bill] Gates, [Larry] Ellison, [Michael] Dell and [Steve] Jobs I am the underachiever. If you look at what we hold in common, it’s that we’re all too fiercely entrepreneurial to have the patience for going to classes and getting certified. There are just some people who are driven to start a business, and those are the ones who aren’t likely to spend time earning an MBA.”

— Mitchell Kertzman, venture capitalist at Hummer Winblad and former CEO of Sybase, Powersoft, and Liberate Technologies.

I like such articles and their resulting discussions. I believe that such things help me keep a clear "Why MBA" in my mind .. and also help me plan for a "Without MBA" future-plan (If needed).
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
mNeo wrote:

From one of the links:

Quote:
“Nobody would argue that it makes more sense to hire a college dropout and former disk jockey like myself rather than a Harvard MBA. However, the high-tech world is full of college dropouts that have made good. And among that group which includes [Bill] Gates, [Larry] Ellison, [Michael] Dell and [Steve] Jobs I am the underachiever. If you look at what we hold in common, it’s that we’re all too fiercely entrepreneurial to have the patience for going to classes and getting certified. There are just some people who are driven to start a business, and those are the ones who aren’t likely to spend time earning an MBA.”

— Mitchell Kertzman, venture capitalist at Hummer Winblad and former CEO of Sybase, Powersoft, and Liberate Technologies.

I like such articles and their resulting discussions. I believe that such things help me keep a clear "Why MBA" in my mind .. and also help me plan for a "Without MBA" future-plan (If needed).

I personally love how they find the people who don't have MBAs or even college and do amazing things but start a list of people with MBAs who have gone on to do great things and percentage wise your chances are going to be hundreds of times better with an MBA. What about all the people who serve burgers, pump gas, work at menial jobs they hate for minimum wage because they didn't go to college. An education is not going to make you great but it sure will give you an advantage. Even startups hire experienced people generally with degrees as senior managers, a VC may invest in your idea but they are going to want someone with a clue to run it.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
same sentiments about every time they bring up Bill Gates and Michael Dell. That's like saying the b-schools mention their Olympic medalist or Mt Everest climber admit, and we assume that everyone at that b-school is an Olympic medalist or an expert climber.

I love these quotes from the article:

Quote:
if [an MBA] is something that you’re doing because you want to make more money, rather than because you’re really interested in how businesses function, you’ll probably be disappointed

Quote:
Yale and Stanford implemented sweeping changes to their MBA curricula, allowing students to tailor their coursework based on previous work experience and career goals.

Quote:
MBAs can be at the top of the tree looking out over the strategic horizon while the real workers in the organization are at the trunk of the tree firing up the chainsaw.”

— Ken Evans, former VP of sales and marketing at Waste Management, currently a management consultant at CP Strategies.

I'm wondering which schools they're doing this study on. In all the schools I've visited, they all have some hands-on internships, not just in the summer, but during the year, where you help companies with projects relating to your career choice to get real world experience. I'm surprised they don't mention those at all, as that is one of the major factors I looked at to pick schools (getting real-world experience while at the school).
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
+1

Why cant MBA articles talk about some other folks besides Michael Dell/Bill Gates?

This is like using the dreaded "wholistic/holistic" word. We should simply ban words that sound like grenades going off in our ears.

My list of words to ban.

1. The evil top contender - wholistic/holistic
2. Oprah/B Gates

Please contribute generously to this list. Dont hold your feelings back.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
mNeo wrote:

From one of the links:

Quote:

I like that these kinds of posts support my Why MBA? position. I'm no Bill Gates, so I need as much help as I can get, i.e.: an HBS MBA.

L.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]