Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:19 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
WE 1: semiconductors
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V48
GPA: 3.16
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Finance, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 630 Q42 V34
GMAT 2: 640 Q42 V35
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V34
GMAT 4: 700 Q45 V40
GPA: 2.71
WE:Underwriter (Other)
Send PM
Re: board president recommendation [#permalink]
I have related question:

I volunteer for a non profit that has a young professionals group arm to it. I am on the board of this group, which fundraises for the non profit. I am personally in charge of the group's finances and it's something I would like to incorporate into my application. The president of the group is a member of the non-profit's board of trustees. Would this individual make for a good recommender?
Send PM
Hey there doggdetroit,

QUESTION: one thing I couldn't quite understand from your post is the age/prestige of the President of the board you serve on. Has the non profit assigned someone from the organization to oversee the young professionals board or is this President another young professional? Effectively, is this person 2 years older than you or 12?

That question outstanding...(keep in mind, your response may change my position on the below)

If this person on the board of trustees knows you well and can write across a variety of key themes, then yes! This would be a great option for you! I assume (and correct me if I'm wrong) that you'll have a professional recommendation from a current supervisor? If that's the case, this is a great way to hit upon some other themes in different ways while calling specific and deliberate attention to your non profit experience. It helps round out your profile and gives you the ability to delineate between a professional and a personal recommendation.

Let me know the answer to the question above and we can talk this through!

Bhavik
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Finance, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 630 Q42 V34
GMAT 2: 640 Q42 V35
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V34
GMAT 4: 700 Q45 V40
GPA: 2.71
WE:Underwriter (Other)
Send PM
To answer your question, the president of the group is another young professional and is in the same age group as me. He/she is not employed by the non profit but as president oversees the group for the non profit. As far as this person's prestige goes, he/she is a member of the non profit's board of trustees. I do have a recommendation from my current supervisor and could get another from past supervisors but I feel that this person would be able to share a different perspective.
Send PM
Good morning,

Thanks for the additional info. I absolutely agree - I think this adds a great perspective! As I mentioned, it would really help you delineate between professional and personal. I think you have a solid recommender here! I agree that you shouldn't go for just another supervisor to check off that box. This would be far more interesting.

Bhavik
GMAT Club Bot