Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 01:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Bob's Cafe, a busy restaurant, has decided to stop serving

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT Date: 12-03-2013
WE: General Management (Retail)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 119

Re: Bob's Cafe, a busy restaurant, has decided to stop serving [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2013, 06:31
My answer = E

e) Customers who order chicken tend to order dessert much more frequently than do customers who order steak.
» Less steak, more chicken = more costumers per hour.
» BUT, more chicken, more dessert = more time with a costumer, not necessarily more costumers per hour.

Imagine that:
1- steak generates $5 as profit and the costumer takes 20 mins to finish and leave the restaurant.
2- chicken generates $5 as profit and the costumer takes 15 mins to finish and leave the restaurant.
3- dessert generates $1 as profit and the costumer takes +15 mins to finnish.

In one hour will have as profit $15 from costumers eating just steaks and $12 from costumers eating chicken + dessert.

Why not the other options:

a) Chicken takes only half as long to cook as steak in most instances
» Can't be used because there is no information about the time to get a dessert ready.

b) Chicken is less expensive than steak for Bob’s Café to purchase.
» Can't be used because there is no information about the selling price.

c) Chicken dishes can be sold for nearly as much as steak dishes.
» Can't be used because there is no information about the cost price.

d) The bistro next door to Bob’s Café will continue to serve steak.
» Not relevant because if the Bob's Café don't want people eating steaks in there, the steak eaters can go to somewhere else and give space to those who want chicken. Besides that we don't know if the next door bistro has good steak, if it is expensive, if it is clean enough, and other information that would really make the costumers to go to the bistro instead.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 10

Re: Bob's Cafe, a busy restaurant, has decided to stop serving [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2013, 10:48
E it is..

Plan : Serving as many customers as possible at each meal.

How the plan will fail: If the customer will order dessert and wait for some more time, the restaurant could not serve the number of people it must have estimated to make profits.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 37

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Bob's Cafe, a busy restaurant, has decided to stop serving [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2013, 02:42
I am not convinced with the OA. Though some people have reasoned that E will increase the turn around time. But the argument doesn't say much whether people take more time to eat steak or chicken. It only says it takes more time to cook. So E sounds unreasonable .
IMO it should be D. People come to eat steak hence the concern. So if the next door bistro is still serving steak chances are people will go there.

Please give Kudos if you like the post

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1112

Kudos [?]: 5038 [0], given: 164

Re: Bob's Cafe, a busy restaurant, has decided to stop serving [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2013, 21:23
Expert's post
summer101 wrote:
I am not convinced with the OA. Though some people have reasoned that E will increase the turn around time. But the argument doesn't say much whether people take more time to eat steak or chicken. It only says it takes more time to cook. So E sounds unreasonable .
IMO it should be D. People come to eat steak hence the concern. So if the next door bistro is still serving steak chances are people will go there.

In CR questions, you have to answer exactly what you are asked. The question clearly says "management’s plan to speed up customer turnover would be most undermined by which of the following". So you have to try to undermine the plan to speed up turnover i.e. whichever customers come, you have to try to serve them fast and get them out of the door as fast as possible.
So (D) is out of scope. What the other bistro is doing does not affect time management in Bob's Cafe.
(E) suggests that time management could be affected because people who eat chicken also order dessert. Hence the plan MAY not work. Note that you don't need to ruin the plan. You need to try to undermine it. You just need to bring in doubt.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Bob's Cafe, a busy restaurant, has decided to stop serving [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2013, 03:45
ellenhch wrote:
I was deciding between D and E. I ultimately chose E because if people order chicken and also order dessert, then turnover in customers would not increase. If anything, the cooking of the steak compared to cooking chicken and customers also ordering dessert results in...the same number of customers at the resturant. It weakens the turnover argument.

Then I thought if chicken costs $15, and steak is $45, even if I order dessert (which is $10), my chicken + dessert = $25, versus my steak of $45. Using the same logic of same # customers above, then I wouldn't have increased profits either.

I feel that this answer best acknowledges both points of making less profits, and no change/decrease in customer turnover. But who knows! I'm not too sure about my answer!

Excellent explanation!!
If customers stay for dessert, they will stay for a longer time. Hence, turnover time will remain roughly the same!! I go with E as well.
Re: Bob's Cafe, a busy restaurant, has decided to stop serving   [#permalink] 16 Sep 2013, 03:45