Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 16:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

bombed in GMAT 640!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: Duke, Emory, UNC Chapel Hill
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

bombed in GMAT 640!! [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 13:19
Hey guys,

I took my gmat recently and messed up big time , got a mere 640(Q48,V30)
I dont know where i went wrong!
i was getting the following scored in prep tests

MGMAT CAT 6: 700
MGMAT CAT 5: 700
MGMAT CAT 4: 680

Kaplan: CAT 1: 630
CAT2 : 590

GMAT prep 1: 720( 5 days before the test)
GMAT prep 2: 750( 2 days before the test)

I was expecting a 700 minimum but was shocked to see a score for 640!
I messed up in the actual GMAT in verbal.

I have started the prep again planning to give in next 3 weeks....
Any pointers on how to work on my verbal?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 432

Premium Member
Re: bombed in GMAT 640!! [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 14:15
Expert's post
Hi, arjungupta.

Although a 640 is quite solid, the gap between your GMATPrep scores and your actual performance is large. How many times did you take the GMATPrep tests? Which guidebooks did you use for studying?

Also, how did you feel during the verbal portion of the test? By then, most test takers are tired from the AWA and quant portions of the test. Asking people to take the verbal section at the end is especially rough for those whose first language isn't English.

Anyway, please provide some details on your verbal studies and the day of the test. I'm sure we can figure out how to improve!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: bombed in GMAT 640!! [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2010, 12:16
Hi,
I took GMAT prep 4 times. I took GMAT prep1 for the first time before i started preparing and scored a 610.
Then i took GMAT prep2 after 3 weeks for full time study i scores a 720.Then i took it again after 10 days i.e. within a week of my GMAT, i scored 720 and 750 in GMAT prep 1 and 2.
I also took all 6 Manhattan online test and i must admit that Quant was quite challenging in those tests.

I mostly took tests only (without AWA) but i referred OG10 & OG12 for everything though both are almost similar.
For SC i read Manhattan SC guide.
I also read kaplan 800 for Quant and verbal.
But i mostly took mock tests for my practise.

I think i was too tired by the time i reached verbal in actual GMAT. I felt like i lost focus, i was reading the questions and passages but i was not able to comprehend anything.And also i messed up one RC hence i panicked and ended up messing the whole thing.

I will really appreciate some pointers from you.
Thanks.
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 432

Premium Member
Re: bombed in GMAT 640!! [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2010, 13:37
Expert's post
The first thing to do is take at least one full week off from GMAT. You need a rest. Also, whenever you have time, read this thread: should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339.html

You have already identified one issue: test exhaustion. It happens to all of us to one degree or another. The best way to minimize this condition is to always practice questions and take CAT's under the exact same conditions as you would for the real test. Don't practice OG on the sofa, for instance. Sit in the computer chair and use a desk. You can even prop up the book vertically to mimic the computer screen. It's also important to use a timer. For CAT's, follow the time limits and breaks exactly. People who don't do these simple procedures are only cheating themselves out of points.

It's equally important to take advantage of the breaks. Take that time to walk around, stretch, splash cold water on your face, and eat something (Snickers, almonds, a banana, Gatorade, etc.). I also find it helpful to look away from the screen and take a deep breath every time a new question appeared on the screen. This reduces neck and eye strain and provides oxygen. You need to maximize your energy reserves because you will definitely begin to run out toward the end.

But now to the books and CAT's. I usually urge others to be conservative with the GMATPrep because those simulations tend to inflate scores after the second time. And the AWA must be included in your tests to practice essays under timed conditions and to get used to taking the entire test. This was probably one reason why you broke down toward the end; you weren't fully conditioned to go through all three sections of the test. This cost you points - points that you already had.

Besides the Manhattan SC, I don't see any other proper guidebooks for verbal. You're quant skills are superb, so we probably don't have to worry about that. Right now, let's focus on verbal.

SENTENCE CORRECTION (SC):
Read the Manhattan SC guide at least one more time. Re-reading is one of the best things that you can do for studying.

CRITICAL REASONING (CR):
The Powerscore CR Bible is the best GMAT guidebook on this topic. This is a must.

READING COMPREHENSION (RC):
Start practicing with LSAT RC passages. These are generally more difficult and complex, so they will build up your stamina. If RC is your weak point, then consider a Powerscore or MGMAT RC guidebook.

While you are improving your verbal skills, go ahead and use the GMATClub Tests to retain you high quant score. Among other things, these tests will definitely strengthen your endurance. Also, if you haven't done so, go ahead and purchase the OG Verbal.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: DukeTuck,Kelogg,Darden
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 42 [1] , given: 28

Reviews Badge
Re: bombed in GMAT 640!! [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2010, 17:52
This post received
KUDOS
arjungupta wrote:
Hey guys,

I took my gmat recently and messed up big time , got a mere 640(Q48,V30)
I dont know where i went wrong!
i was getting the following scored in prep tests

MGMAT CAT 6: 700
MGMAT CAT 5: 700
MGMAT CAT 4: 680

Kaplan: CAT 1: 630
CAT2 : 590

GMAT prep 1: 720( 5 days before the test)
GMAT prep 2: 750( 2 days before the test)

I was expecting a 700 minimum but was shocked to see a score for 640!
I messed up in the actual GMAT in verbal.

I have started the prep again planning to give in next 3 weeks....
Any pointers on how to work on my verbal?

Hi,

Im curious to know what you maths prep was, incase you are good at maths and di not pay any attention to it then i would suggest just try to work on improving your focus in the Quant section. That would not only help you cut down on the silly mistakes but also help you build confidence for the verbal section.

Looking at your quant score you should easily be able to get it to 50! and with that if you just do a little better on your verbal you will crack 700 or maybe 690. Im not sure but i believe Q50 and V35 is 700 if not then im sure its 690!

Good luck for the gmat and yeah like suggested by others take a break get drunk go on a trip; for 7 days forget that GMAT exists!

Run towards the things that make you uncomfortable daily. The greatest risk is not taking risks
http://gmatclub.com/forum/from-690-to-730-q50-v38-97356.html

Intern
Intern

Re: bombed in GMAT 640!! [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2010, 07:13
hey,

Thanks for the suggestions.
I'll make sure i follow the exact test routine this time including AWA.
It was a big mistake not to take AWA!!
I'll make sure this time i do well!
Intern
Intern

Re: bombed in GMAT 640!! [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2010, 07:18
Hi Silvers,

My maths prep was pretty good.
Infact i am sure i did the first 20 questions right, as the 24th question was really a tough one.
I went downhill in couple of questions in a row i think 4 questions were wrong in a row.
I took more than 14 tests only mistake was i didn't do AWA.
This time i'll make sure i simulate the exact test.

I gave Manhattan free online test today with AWA for 680 (Q45 V35).
I was not able to complete only 30 questions in Quant, i just marked the remaining 7 questions randomly most of them were wrong ofcourse!
But i Believe Manhattan quant is way above GMAT level.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: DukeTuck,Kelogg,Darden
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 28

Reviews Badge
Re: bombed in GMAT 640!! [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2010, 08:46
arjungupta wrote:
Hi Silvers,

My maths prep was pretty good.
Infact i am sure i did the first 20 questions right, as the 24th question was really a tough one.
I went downhill in couple of questions in a row i think 4 questions were wrong in a row.
I took more than 14 tests only mistake was i didn't do AWA.
This time i'll make sure i simulate the exact test.

I gave Manhattan free online test today with AWA for 680 (Q45 V35).
I was not able to complete only 30 questions in Quant, i just marked the remaining 7 questions randomly most of them were wrong ofcourse!
But i Believe Manhattan quant is way above GMAT level.

Well manhattan Quant and GMAt quant are a little different. I agree manhattan quant is difficult but its nowhere near what the GMAT would throw at you at a score of 49,50. In GMAt you will always find a bunch of concepts tested together. Somewhere on the forum there is a document that lists all the GATprep questions for math and SC. Do those and you will realize how different quant is on the GMAT.

And Yes, givng the tests with AWA is important as it gives you an indicator of how stressful the real thing can get and also will teach you how to manage stress.

Good Luck.

Run towards the things that make you uncomfortable daily. The greatest risk is not taking risks
http://gmatclub.com/forum/from-690-to-730-q50-v38-97356.html

Schools: Carey '16
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 71

Re: bombed in GMAT 640!! [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2010, 16:07
Yeah man. AWA is no joke. Do them when you practice.

Intern
Intern

Re: bombed in GMAT 640!! [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2012, 10:36
Hey,

I finally got 710 Q50 V37 AWA 6 IR 5

Took my GMAT again, and guess what I cracked the 700 mark..... !!
Well, I was not able to complete my verbal and had like 1 minute left on clock with 5 more questions to go , so I just picked some random answer and moved ahead....But after a totally messed up history with GMAT feels good to join the 700 club!

Thanks!
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q39 V35
GMAT 2: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V40
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 3

Re: bombed in GMAT 640!! [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2012, 12:06
arjungupta wrote:
Hey,

Well, I was not able to complete my verbal and had like 1 minute left on clock with 5 more questions to go , so I just picked some random answer and moved ahead....But after a totally messed up history with GMAT feels good to join the 700 club!

Thanks!

Congrats on crossing the 700 mark !
Even with guessing the last 5 questions on Verbal, 37 is a great score !

My GMAT Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/third-time-s-a-charm-142800.html#p1145912
Quant Concept Videos : http://gmatlife.blogspot.com/2012/07/gm ... ideos.html
My GMAT Blog : http://gmatlife.blogspot.com/

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V34
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 85

Re: bombed in GMAT 640!! [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2012, 05:24
This post received
KUDOS
arjungupta wrote:
Hey,

Thanks!

That's really nice to hear after your older posts; well done! 8-)

"The Burnout" - My Debrief

Kudos if I helped you ;)

Andy

Re: bombed in GMAT 640!!   [#permalink] 06 Sep 2012, 05:24