Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 07:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Bombed interview...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Foster '16
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.47
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Bombed interview... [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2014, 10:43
Hi, I appreciate any feedback you can give me on this issue. I suspect the answers will be beneficial to others who felt like they bombed their interview as well. I began to catch a cold at the start of the day of the interview, but decided against telling my interviewer since I felt like it would come across poorly. The interview went bad in the sense that I just simply couldn't think. I feel like I'm great at conversations, I'm outgoing, enthusiastic, etc, etc. That *definitely* did not show in the interview. I was monotone, fumbling my words,etc. I had prepared heavily for that interview, did a bunch of mocks that went really well, had very articulate answers for a huge variety of questions (not memorized, but prepared to share freeflow) and none of those things showed on the day of. I'm pretty bummed. Partly I was a little nervous of course, but mostly I think my stuffy head just gave me a hard time coming across as my best self. I kind of regret the decision to not say I was sick now and I feel its also too late to send an email explaining the situation (been 9 days since interview).Some things I was thinking about:

-join a toastmasters club: send a follow up email basically acknowledging I came across as a little awkward during the interview and to mitigate that I've taken some concrete actions to improve my interpersonal communication skills by joining toastmasters.

-I'm in Dale Carnegie training (started before interview), and last night won an outstanding speech award: again acknowledging my performance wasn't the best, but show that the speech training I've been going through has shown measurable improvement in my communication skills

-go ahead and say I was sick during the interview (even though its been 9 days)

Should I say anything at all? Should I acknowledge the interview didn't go well? I'm really trigger happy right now in wanting to send an email to adcom, but I'd like feedback on whether I should do anything at all.

Thanks for your feedback!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

Re: Bombed interview... [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2014, 09:43
Expert's post
That’s a frustrating situation! But I actually think you were right not to mention being sick at the interview. It could sound negative, like an excuse even before it starts, and also the interviewer might wish not to be exposed to a cold or flu! Your best choice at the time was either go ahead and not say anything (which you did) or reschedule.

Now, I suggest waiting for the application decision. The application is what it is, and schools would not appreciate additional info regarding the app at this point. Then, if you happen to be wait-listed, that’s the time to mention that you believe the interview didn’t go well, and to discuss the positive steps you’ve taken (here too I suggest not mentioning you had a cold, which would sound like an excuse). Keep everything affirmative, positive, and forward-looking.

Good luck! I commend the constructive steps you’re taking.

Cindy Tokumitsu
Senior Advisor, Accepted
310-815-9553
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog