Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 06:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

BOMBED quant today...need advice.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 670 Q39 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 40

BOMBED quant today...need advice. [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2013, 18:19
OK, so I took my GMAT today, got an 8 on the IR, a 41 on verbal (had been averaging 47-48 on prac exams) and then got a 39 on quant (had been around 46 on prac exams). Averaged out to a 670 final score, about 80 lower than my average on pracs. So I'm pretty much inconsolable right now. Still, I need advice. Now let's say I take the exam again and do better on quant, say a 45 even. How does this look to B schools? Are they going to basically say "well he bombed the first time, so he probably got lucky the 2nd time"? Everything I'm reading online is pretty much saying if you don't get to the 80th percentile in both sections you're pretty much screwed.

I can't leave the Boston area, and I have to start this coming year, or it's going to be too late for 'life' reasons. So this is my one shot. I'm feeling like I might have blown it today, but hoping there's something I can do to salvage this. I never worked in the financial field, so I can't lean on that, and my transcripts aren't heavy on math/science, so I can't lean on that either. I was hoping to do well on quant to show that I can do the math/abstract reasoning. For what it's worth I was extremely adept in math/abstract logic in school, so it's not an issue of skill. Which makes this suck even more; I was doing the math you see in quant, literally in 6th grade. Alright I'm starting to ramble, and I'm just getting upset again so I'm going to stop, I hope someone can offer some advice here.

For reference I'm applying to HBS, Sloan, BC, BU, and Northeastern.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 35 [1] , given: 1

Re: BOMBED quant today...need advice. [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2013, 09:36
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I'm sorry to hear that the test did not go as well as you hoped, even though 670 is still a very good score. If you believe that you will do better on a second attempt, then I would definitely take it again. It is not uncommon at all for people to take the GMAT multiple times, and no school will think that you got "lucky" for scoring higher on the quant the second go round. In fact, it is much easier to get "unlucky" than "lucky" on the GMAT, given how the CAT algorithm works. The test is designed to find you out, so to speak, if you are faking that you are better than you are by spending a long time on the earlier questions. It is not designed as well, however, to help you not do worse than your potential, whether that be to nerves, fatigue, silly mistakes, etc.

Long story short, take it again. If you were scoring that much higher in the practice tests, you should be able to do better on your second attempt.

I hope this helps!!!

Brandon
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

If you found this post helpful, please give me kudos!!! :)

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 670 Q39 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 40

Re: BOMBED quant today...need advice. [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2013, 10:07
Thank you! That does help a lot. I also called the schools I'm applying to. Most of them only look at high scores on each section, and one only looks at highest cumulative score, without looking at subsections. I'm confident I can do better on Verbal, I just happened to hit the hardest batch of questions I ever saw on that section.

I feel that I should do better on the quant...I somehow managed to go 2 minutes over on my break before so I panicked on the first few questions and probably got all of them wrong trying to rush and catch up on time. I don't know how many points that cost me. I just don't know what to study now; I feel like I get 80% of the DS questions wrong because I always miss some obscure formula that uses the information given in one of the options.
Re: BOMBED quant today...need advice.   [#permalink] 08 Nov 2013, 10:07