Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 13:08

Happy Labor Day:

Free Access to New GMATClub Tests for all GMATClub Members!!

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

bombed the damned GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT Date: 10-22-2011
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 12

bombed the damned GMAT [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2011, 06:45
Just got back from the test centre... Bombed it. 580 (q37 v33). I've been preparing for this damn thing now for 18 months... I don't konw what I'm doing wrong... I know I'm not stupid :(

btw my last GMATPrep was 640 (q42 v33) which I took one week ago in the local library but a person kept coughing behind me and I couldn't concentrate during verbal, my verbal is normally at v40-42 and my last 2 quants before that were q44.

I think I know why I bombed it:
* I'm really burnt out and exhausted from it all at the moment. In the past 2 weeks I've done zero prep, I just didn't have it in me.
* had a very early start - the exam was at 845am, 1 hour from my home. I'm not a morning person.
* Not much sleep last night.
* Became very tired during verbal and couldn't concentrate at all in the 2nd half of it.
* I just wasn't ready, and I knew it. I should have listened to my intuition more...

Anyways I am off back home to Australia tomorrow for a 2.5 week holiday, I may just do 1 hour a day max on weak areas whilst I'm away and then get back into it again when I get back... when I get back though I only have 4 weeks until R2 deadlines... Should I just postpone applying until next year? or am I close to that 700 (with a quant of 47-50 ideally), but just had a bad day?

I really don't know what to do at this stage to improve and get "back on the GMAT horse".. I've used most of the MGMAT CAT's and have done most of OG12... Any advice?
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: bombed the damned GMAT [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2011, 07:15
Hard Luck!
But Bygones are bygones..Take this one as just another practice test and give that horse a few more kicks.

My 2 cents:

Go back to your error log if you have one. If you dont have one, prepare one in these next 2.5 weeks. What ever you solve, put it in that log. After 2.5 weeks, visit this log and see where is that you are going wrong.

Meditate. Sit upright for 10 minutes and try not to think about GMAT. This will help you release a lot of hot air around you.

Finish OG 12 and if possible, OG 11 Math Section too. Visit error log again. this should not take more than 2 weeks.

I am not sure if you are satisfied with your verbal score or not.

Give it a try in next 6 weeks.

All the best!!

Time to play the game...

GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 391 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: bombed the damned GMAT [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2011, 07:50
Few comments:

You're never "ready" for the exam. The key question is are you consistent and are you scoring in the range for the schools you want to apply to.

An error log was mentioned above. This is key to becoming ready and overcoming obstacles.

Finally, exam day anxiety and stress have broken many people. Always take practice exams in an environment mimicking the real thing and use the practice results to further your error log.

Best of luck,

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: bombed the damned GMAT   [#permalink] 15 Nov 2011, 07:50