Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:34 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Schools:Fuqua Class 2012
 Q48  V42
Send PM
Re: Bombed the GMAT [#permalink]
retake the GMAT...with such a low quant score and the whole football/jock sterotype, you are going to need to make sure they know that you aren't going to fail out b/c of the math...especially with the schools you are shooting for. I studied for over a year for the GMAT. I prob studied too long, but that is what I had to do to get a score for top programs.

Good Luck
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 246 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE:Analyst (Insurance)
Send PM
SC Booth,

Where'd you end up? As another AA male I was in a somewhat similar situation. I got a 660 with the 83rd percentile overall after getting 680 and 690 on practice tests. But as I hear, there are usually less than 100 blacks in the whole country who score better than a 700 on the actual exam in a given year. And I don't know everyone's score but I've met two people at HBS who didn't cross the 700 mark. Given that the average was a 425 for blacks and 100 points is roughly a standard deviation on the GMAT, you're essentially two standard deviations above the mean. You have at least a chance at several top schools.

BHY, what football stereotype are you talking about? If he's done well on the CFA then he can do the B-school math. Nothing in b-school is as tricky as the GMAT math.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 211 [0]
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
The comparison between advantages you get as an African American at law school vs business school in admissions don't add up. The boost is much more obvious and important in law school admissions... There are simply too many other factors in a business school application.

OP - what did you end up doing?

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Your Dream Theater,

Are you sure about that? There's a pretty big advantage even at the top schools. Have you ever heard of the Consortium fellowships? Several blacks get full rides to a number of top schools. Honestly, I think the boost for blacks targeting MBA programs is greater than that for law schools. Could you expound on what you mean?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Schools:Ross
 Q50  V45
GPA: 2.7
Send PM
It is shocking that the GMAT centre tested the fire alarm during the test. It would have put most people out of sync with their natural flow of answering the exam.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Wow - testing a fire alarm system is definitely not cool. You can reach out to GMAC and if anything, try to get a free retake - they often provide a gmat voucher/coupon for you to do that.

Also, take a look at this thread: should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339.html

Based on your stats/practice tests, you should have done better. Not everyone improves the second time, but very few slide 50 points. I would include that argument with a note to GMAC for a free retake.

620 for the schools you outlined is a bit weak (though not impossible).

Final question, what materials did you use for your prep?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Sorry for my extremely late response, but I'll provide the updates. I applied to those schools; and, I was not admitted to any of them. I contacted GMAC about the alarm issue; however, they told me that I should have canceled the test. They didn't offer a retake.

I took the test again and scored a 660 (Q:44, V:38). So I still have the same hurdle this time around. I re-applied to; Wharton, Stern, CBS, and Booth. I'm hoping that my essays are strong enough, and that being a re-applicant helps As far as materials- I used the OG and the Manhattan GMAT series.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
SCBooth wrote:
Sorry for my extremely late response, but I'll provide the updates. I applied to those schools; and, I was not admitted to any of them. I contacted GMAC about the alarm issue; however, they told me that I should have canceled the test. They didn't offer a retake.

I took the test again and scored a 660 (Q:44, V:38). So I still have the same hurdle this time around. I re-applied to; Wharton, Stern, CBS, and Booth. I'm hoping that my essays are strong enough, and that being a re-applicant helps As far as materials- I used the OG and the Manhattan GMAT series.

Maybe you should have applied to Darden and Cornell too.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
vannbj wrote:
SCBooth wrote:

I was considering Cornell and Darden, but I didn't have the time to create strong apps. I considered Duke as well, but the time constraints were too great.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
SCBooth wrote:
vannbj wrote:
SCBooth wrote:

I was considering Cornell and Darden, but I didn't have the time to create strong apps. I considered Duke as well, but the time constraints were too great.

The problem could be your goals. First, breaking into IB is tough. Second, it's even harder with a GMAT below 700. It's possible adcoms feel that your goals are not achievable.

Additionally, you will need solid leadership experience. I'm not saying you don't have that, I'm going by what you wrote.
GMAT Club Bot